• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need an upgrade from DT880, wire keeps breaking

architeuthis

Hi, new here, first post.

I have two broken DT880s here, broken mostly due to the fact they can't receive a signal since the wires broke. On one, that jack is broken. On the other, the wire is ripped.

I'm absolutely done with headphones without a removable wire or with an impossible-to-repair wire. A repair shop told me the wire is not possible to fix because of the strange makeup of the wire.

Can anyone recommend an upgrade or perhaps a close downgrade? I can EQ the headphones. Ideally around the $150 to $300 range

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hifiman Sundara
Sennheiser HD6XX
AKG K712 Pro

I would then replace the stock cable with a Periapt cable, I use their cables on ALL of my headphones, their very durable, pretty sure you could hang a moose with one.

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Have you tought about getting IEMs? I like them very much and there's much less to break on them. All the slightly expensive ones have changeable wires.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, new here, first post.

I have two broken DT880s here, broken mostly due to the fact they can't receive a signal since the wires broke. On one, that jack is broken. On the other, the wire is ripped.

I'm absolutely done with headphones without a removable wire or with an impossible-to-repair wire. A repair shop told me the wire is not possible to fix because of the strange makeup of the wire.

Can anyone recommend an upgrade or perhaps a close downgrade? I can EQ the headphones. Ideally around the $150 to $300 range
I enjoy my Sennheiser HD 598SR headphones very much. They are super comfortable and are renowned for being one of the most comfy headphones and the wire is removable and not microphonic. They come with 2 wires. One 9 footer and a 1m for the cel tel with a microphone too.

Yasuo

It can definitely be fixed.

But what about a detachable cable mod? Some good quality flexible cable and you're all set. Maybe some new pads and a headband plus EQ.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd recommend the Sennheiser hd650 to replace it. I had an original pad made in Ireland edition last week and it sounded better than the Sundara to me. I had a 250 ohm DT880 to try at the same time, and it was better sounding to me hands down.
Hart Cables are my favorite, never had one fail or melt down a credit card to get them.

someguyontheinternet

IEMs can produce the same 20Hz to 20kHz as over-ear headphones. You can also see this in FR measurements (here for example). From what I have seen IEMs seem like a much better cost/performance ratio for the FR in the under 150-200$ bracket (there is not that much distortion data out there compared to FR).

There are possible caveats with fitting them properly in your outer ear and ear canal depending on your ears though. Over-ear headphones can skip the ear-canal fit and only need to worry about outer ear fit.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
So I'm wondering. You're coming from the DT880 which is a half-open headphone, so far you have received recommendations for open over-ear headphones, and then you also consider IEMs which are about as isolating as they come. Do you care at all about noise isolation? Personally I think IEMs can be very comfortable, but you need to be aware will hear very little of your surroundings while with open back headphones you'll hear pretty much everything.

IEM-wise I have the XENNS Mangird Tea 2, they are not cheap but I really like them. I'd also look at SeeAudio Yume. Moondrop gets a lot of recommendations, but they are a tad to bright in the presence region for me (all they models) as are a lot of the cheaper IEMs. However the Moondrop Blessing 2 deserves a mention, especially in the crinacle tuned Dusk variant.

u_squire

If you have a small budget then the Sennheiser HD 598 is a good option.

If you have a bit more to spend, then the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO is a good choice.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

When you like the DT880 I would ask someone that is handy to fit a 3.5mm jack socket in the headphone and use a 3.5mm TRS cable.
That will be cheaper than buying a new headphone.
Unless of course you would also like the change the sound.

May I dare to suggest the DT900 as an alternative for the DT880 (or DT1990 with A pads fitted) within the Beyerdynamic stable.

OP
A

architeuthis

looks like BDT990PRO is cheaper than Sennheiser HD 598

I am attracted to IEM due to the extra convenience of not having something over your ear (less mobile) and I need mobility. Why do you think my wires broke? Too much of my mobility probably. Definitely going IEM this time (will buy over ear in the future as well). I'm pretty freaking flexible when it comes to equipment because I'm so used to "crap sound" and "whatever I can find" so noise-cancelling, noise-reducing, no noise cancellation (open), I haven't formed an opinion on what I want/need, I'll have to experience it to decide. I couldn't tell you what frequency response I prefer either. I know I want good bass, but I've never felt my bass was lacking with all past experiences, except for my car which has the crappiest speakers I've ever heard and the flabbiest bass response. But I still enjoy listening to music in there. Cheap temporary IEM or expensive IEM which I would have to put on a credit card? Gotta decide that.

Maybe the cheaper moondrop or the expensive Fiio FD5

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
If you wanna go the IEM route a couple of tips (huehuehue):

- The tips matter a great deal, personally I like Spin Fits, CP145s are great for me
- Cable also matters. Cable noise, especially if you move can transmit to the IEMs and you'll hear it
- Maybe consider wireless IEMs if your source supports Bluetooth? Sony WF-1000XM4 for example.

I like the Moondrop Arias quite a bit except for the slight harshness that I think they have, but after upgrading the tips and replacing the stock cable, they don't look like such a good deal to me anymore. YMMV.

e: Or consider wireless overears...

OP
A

architeuthis

I use my primary headphones more than any battery can last, I've grown accustomed to long wires. Ok, so, I'd go wireless if the battery lasted 4 days straight maybe in use 10 hours a day, so I'll need 96 hours of battery life making up 40 hours of usage. Edit: Wait, if the wireless IEM had an optional wired mode then that might be nice.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the Moondrop Arias quite a bit except for the slight harshness that I think they have, but after upgrading the tips and replacing the stock cable, they don't look like such a good deal to me anymore. YMMV.
Just yesterday I was listening to my Moondrop Aria + Spinfit CP145 + 4.4 mm balanced cable + TempoTec Sonata E44 dongle and thinking "wow, this is such a great combo, I love how it sounds". It all costs about 200 usd and I was in sonic bliss. :)

Last edited:

archerious

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just yesterday I was listening to my Moondrop Aria + Spinfit CP145 + 4.4 mm balanced cable + TempoTec Sonata E44 dongle and thinking "wow, this is such a great combo, I love how it sounds". It all costs about 200 usd and I was in sonic bliss. :)

I feel the same about my Moondrop Starfield + Comply TX-200 + 2.5mm balanced cable + Radsone ES100 :)

I use a Linsoul cable. It's more flexible and less noisy than the stock cable and is reasonably priced...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel the same about my Moondrop Starfield + Comply TX-200 + 2.5mm balanced cable + Radsone ES100 :)

I use a Linsoul cable. It's more flexible and less noisy than the stock cable and is reasonably priced...

Mine is the Yinyoo 16 core below.

Soandso

Below picture shows cut DT880 wires connecting to driver shows inside they are copper with white fibers; those fibers are for interior cable flex strength and not electrically conductive. The repair shop who said they couldn't repair the wire/plug apparently saw those white fibers and didn't know what they are.

That kind of wire can be stripped back far enough to then cut off those protruding fibers leaving a suitable length of exposed copper wiring which can be soldered to either a new TRS/TRRS plug, or any other copper wire. Once those white fibers are out of the way even some old TRS/TRRS plug with a pigtail (segment length) of exposed copper wire still attached can be manually joined to that DT880 wire by just twisting matched "+" and "-" wires together and insulating with electrical tape - soldering is not obligatory.

However, Beyerdynamic seems to use the white wire for it's "+" and red wire for it's "-" sometimes on the DT880. So before splicing and soldering it's a good idea to check the headphones wiring by examining the plug (if a TRS plug ohm/conductivity meter which color wire goes to the DT880 plug tip and adjacent plug ring, they're "+", and the "-" color wire is the wire going to the plug sleeve, exposed part of plug farthest from plug tip).

O.P. indicates owning 2 DT880. If the one with "wire ripped" is not where the wire exits the ear cup and has sufficient length to strip back to intact wire then the white fibers can then be cut off to leave the copper wire exposed. If cutting out/off the "ripped" section leaves the headphone cable long enough then only need to strip back both good ends of that wire far enough to cut off the white
fibers and join the respective colored wires together - soldered or manually twisted and "+" and "-" patches individually electrically taped.

Patched headphone cable wires' electrically taped are never as pretty as intact ones, but a lot easier than opening up the ear cups and re-wiring intact wires to the drivers inside. On the "ripped" wire even if once remove that segment a length of additional copper wire can be added (soldered or manually twisted) between the 2 remaining good portions (what exits ear cup and what ends in TRS/TRRS plug) - just resulting in 2 electrical taped splices. View attachment 219480View attachment 219480

Top Bottom