• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need an opinion on the Genelec G Series (G Two vs G Three when paired with the F Two subwoofer)

Victoria

Hey everyone!~ Back for a little while to humbly seek some advice for a new setup!

I've been pondering on upgrading my PC setup forever now, and I think I'm quite set on going with a full Genelec monitor plus subwoofer solution. Now I know there are better options than the F Two subwoofer out there, but aesthetically it fits my study and an 8" woofer is sufficient for my use-case. I'm also lazy and I like the fact that the F Two has dip-switches to deal with the crossover frequencies for whatever Genelec monitors you with to match the subwoofer with.

So here's my predicament: since I'm going to be using the F Two subwoofer, should I be good with the smaller G Two monitors or should I still try to aim for the G Three? I do have the space for the G Three, but if I can go with the slightly smaller G Two I'd be happier (from both a table real-estate and aesthetics point of view).

Annoyingly I can't seem to find a frequency response plot for the F Two subwoofer, but Genelec claims it goes up to 85Hz (-6dB) while the G Two monitors go down to 56Hz (-6dB) and the G Three monitors down to 47Hz (-6dB). My main issue though is that the G Three does look a little more level in its frequency response plot than the G Two, but my fear is that due to the configuration of my PC setup if I get the G Three I may not be able to angle it optimally so that the tweeters are facing my ears since it is a larger speaker, but I'll definitely have no problems with properly positioning the G Two.

I could make the G Three work, but what do you guys think? Should I really try and aim for the G Three if I'm going to be spending this amount of money, or should I be good and happy with the G Two? The price difference between the G Two and G Three aren't a concern for me, it isn't really that much.

Appreciate any advice! Cheers!

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a nearfield PC setup I've had great experiences with the G2.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go with the G Three if you can, for the same reasons mentioned by @q3cpma

My wife’s home office setup uses Genelec 8330A + Genelec 7350A. The 8330A is the pro audio digital version of the G Three, so should be mostly comparable. And the Genelec 7350A is an 8” subwoofer as well.

Size wise, they’re perfect. The sound is great, and the SPL will go quite loud before clipping. The main problem with the Two is just that its going to be much more SPL limited in the midbass, so may not be able to push really loud, even when crossed with a subwoofer. The SPL specs Genelec gives (like any other company) usually cites the SPL in the midrange, not bass, because the bass capabilities of a speaker with small woofers will often be 10-30db less than the cited SPL specs and if they cited the bass SPL capability only it would seem quite weak (which, I suppose is kind of the truth in some ways).

Even when crossing over with a sub, SPL capabilities 80-100hz still matter a lot.

It’s hard to say exactly but I’d bet the G Two + F Two would start self limiting with some really bass heavy music played at 90db, which for speakers as good as these (once calibrated to your room) will not sound excessively loud at all. They would probably play at that level, but occasionally clip with various music peaks.

The G Three would have less problems here since if it’s like the 8330A, it should be able to push 100db with the help of a sub. And if your space and budget and aesthetics can afford it, you should always go with the bigger woofer. Subjectively, I think they’re already impressively tiny little speakers. My wife finds the size to be perfect, as they strike a perfect balance of being “cute” but not so tiny as to be toylike.

Regarding tweeter direction, I wouldn’t worry. I actually prefer most speakers to be pointed behind me, as it widens the soundstage. These speakers are good enough that you don’t have to worry too much about perfect tweeter aim.

P.S. If you never listen to bass heavy music, or never listen fairly loud, then the Two should be just fine. But also if you haven’t had speakers as exceptionally good as these are before, I would advise not ruling out the possibility that you might find yourself enjoying occasionally listening louder than you would have before, and even enjoying new genres of music that your prior speakers were preventing you from enjoying (this certainly was the case for me some years ago when I realized how relatively bad modern Bowers and Wilkins are).

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
G2 is fine for a desktop setup. If you use it for a large room where you also use stands, it may not play loud enough. But I have heard these, they sound ... good. Enjoyable. 8020 may be better.

ABQdude

Forum Donor
I have Genelec 8020Ds with a Genelec 7040 sub, corrected via REW , fed via XLRs from Topping DS7s on my desktop on IsoAcoustics stands. The sound is very satisfying. I had considered Genelec 7050 sub but under desk space was limited so thus the 7040. Desk space wise, the 8020s fit very nicely beside my 27" iMac. Can't go wrong either with the 8020/8030s or G2/G3s. I don't find the 7040 to be a limiting factor at all.

¥€$

I would go with the G Three if you can, for the same reasons mentioned by @q3cpma

My wife’s home office setup uses Genelec 8330A + Genelec 7350A. The 8330A is the pro audio digital version of the G Three, so should be mostly comparable. And the Genelec 7350A is an 8” subwoofer as well.

Size wise, they’re perfect. The sound is great, and the SPL will go quite loud before clipping. The main problem with the Two is just that its going to be much more SPL limited in the midbass, so may not be able to push really loud, even when crossed with a subwoofer. The SPL specs Genelec gives (like any other company) usually cites the SPL in the midrange, not bass, because the bass capabilities of a speaker with small woofers will often be 10-30db less than the cited SPL specs and if they cited the bass SPL capability only it would seem quite weak (which, I suppose is kind of the truth in some ways).

Even when crossing over with a sub, SPL capabilities 80-100hz still matter a lot.

It’s hard to say exactly but I’d bet the G Two + F Two would start self limiting with some really bass heavy music played at 90db, which for speakers as good as these (once calibrated to your room) will not sound excessively loud at all. They would probably play at that level, but occasionally clip with various music peaks.

The G Three would have less problems here since if it’s like the 8330A, it should be able to push 100db with the help of a sub. And if your space and budget and aesthetics can afford it, you should always go with the bigger woofer. Subjectively, I think they’re already impressively tiny little speakers. My wife finds the size to be perfect, as they strike a perfect balance of being “cute” but not so tiny as to be toylike.

Regarding tweeter direction, I wouldn’t worry. I actually prefer most speakers to be pointed behind me, as it widens the soundstage. These speakers are good enough that you don’t have to worry too much about perfect tweeter aim.

P.S. If you never listen to bass heavy music, or never listen fairly loud, then the Two should be just fine. But also if you haven’t had speakers as exceptionally good as these are before, I would advise not ruling out the possibility that you might find yourself enjoying occasionally listening louder than you would have before, and even enjoying new genres of music that your prior speakers were preventing you from enjoying (this certainly was the case for me some years ago when I realized how relatively bad modern Bowers and Wilkins are).

7350A is the sub that lacks dip switches for basically everything, so proper pairing with speakers must be done with GLM or a receiver. So it's hard to recommend it for anyone who doesn't already own their DSP speakers or isn't planning to.

If I'm not mistaken the official measurements were done in an anechoic chamber, so placing them near walls or corners should extend bass even further, won't help spl of course.

Last edited:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
7350A is the sub that lacks dip switches for basically everything, so proper pairing with speakers must be done with GLM or a receiver. So it's hard to recommend it for anyone who doesn't already own their DSP speakers or isn't planning to.

If I'm not mistaken the official measurements were done in an anechoic chamber, so placing them near walls or corners should extend bass even further, won't help spl of course.
I wasn’t advertising the 7350A... I was just saying that I’ve heard a similar setup (though all digital and from the pro audio lines), to contextualize my advise that the bigger main speakers should definitely be preferred if at all possible.

¥€$

I wasn’t advertising the 7350A... I was just saying that I’ve heard a similar setup (though all digital and from the pro audio lines), to contextualize my advise that the bigger main speakers should definitely be preferred if at all possible.

I figured as much, it was just a word of warning to others who might be considering them.

OP
Victoria

Victoria

Thank you @echopraxia for your detailed post!

I've eventually decided that I'll go for the G Three primarily based on what you've written and also to play it safe. I do listen to a fair chunk of music that's bass heavy and Bang & Olufsen has served me really well for the rest of my house in that regards.

Also appreciate your comment on the positioning of the speakers, I also find that I like my speakers pointing a little away from my ears (but not too much) as it usually helps with the sound stage as you've described; I was just a little concerned because my current desktop speakers are kinda crap if the tweeters aren't directly facing into my ears and I haven't been in a position to listen to the Genelec speakers yet although I do really like what I see with respect to their measured performance and also subjective impressions.

Sorry for taking a little while to respond, rest assured I did see your reply the instant it was posted. Just needed a while to mull over things.

Much appreciated and thank you to everyone else who has chimed in as well!

Top Bottom