• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need an IR remote extender that actually works

Bhh

Forum Donor
My wife recently purchased a new cradenza for the living room and as part of a subwoofer negotiation, she wants me to move the stereo components into the cabinet instead of on top and well... you all know the rest.

The amp is a Rotel A12 and it has a 3.5mm REM IN jack and the manual mentions it is for adding an IR extender for this exact purpose. Problem is I tried one from Amazon that doesn’t work and apparently these things are fussy about what electronics they will work with.

Can anyone recommend one that will actually work with this gear? Thanks.

OP
B

Bhh

Forum Donor
Thank you for sharing. I just took a quick look but that looks like a complicated wireless system with a lot of different components. Are the two pucks all you need?

I figured it would be as simple as what I tried the first time but apparently not since this didn’t do squat...

Edit: After way too much research on this, it turns out that these IR repeaters need power which the REM IN port on my amp does not provide so I will need a powered hub these IR repeater systems provide to power the IR receiver but instead of an IR emitter out of the hub, I should be be able to go straight in to the amp’s 3.5mm REM IN jack.

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

You didn’t give us any specifics on what exactly you tried to use, but it obviously wasn’t the right device. The manual says the dealer should be contacted for the correct device and to ensure “proper wiring of a jack to fit the... receptacle.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
dit: After way too much research on this, it turns out that these IR repeaters need power which the REM IN port on my amp does not provide so I will need a powered hub these IR repeater systems provide to power the IR receiver but instead of an IR emitter out of the hub, I should be be able to go straight in to the amp’s 3.5mm REM IN jack.

This occurred to me as well. I'd b interested to know if this works.

I currently use a repeater similar to this one... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GR2CC1O/ref=dp_prsubs_2

If you can't get a direct 3.5mm connection to work, you just need to locate the IR receiver on the front of your amp and stick one of the IR emitters over it.

I run an Onkyo AVR, Xbox One, Nvidia Shield and satellite box in the sideboard (UK name for credenza) in our family room. I also installed a 120mm computer fan in the back of the sideboard to provide some airflow. The fan has been under-volted (to run silent) by soldering a standard USB cable to it (i.e. it runs at 5V rather than 12V). You do need to choose the fan carefully as they won't all start at such a low voltage. A spare USB port on the Satellite box provides power for the fan, it's been running for about 4 years now (it's never turned off).

OP
B

Bhh

Forum Donor
Thanks guys.

@Wayne A. Pflughaupt Turns out what I tried the first time was an “emmiter” instead of a receiver. I saw a 3.5mm jack & IR in the description, $7 price and jumped on it without really digging in. I don’t have a local Rotel dealer but suppose Imcould email them although I think these things are pretty much all the same.

@Berwhale That is similar to what I’m looking at now and yes, the emitter could be used as a backup if the direct 3.5 doesn’t work. I have a PS4 in a “sideboard” at our other place and I do have to open the door when I’m playing. I’ve forgotten before and the PS4 fan went nuts! I stuck one of our ecobee remote sensors in the one here today with the Rotel playing music all day and it never got above 87F so I think its going to be all right hopefully. This new furniture piece is wall mounted though so I would have to vent out the bottom to keep it discreet.

I’m also looking at some more advanced options now like a Harmony Hub that would allow me to control it with my phone in addition to the remote.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bhh

Forum Donor

Joseph Smith

Hello @Bhh! Can I ask a follow up question? I recently blocked my Rotel RSX-1058 with a new chair, and I need an IR receiver for my unit's REM IN EXT jack. You mentioned in your post that "3.5mm out of the hub direct to the Rotel REM IN jack works perfectly." I noticed on the Amazon listing that the Bafx unit come with an IR Receiver that goes into the hub, and then 4 IR Emitters (well 8 really) that also plug into the hub.....so what did you use to go direct from the HUB to the Rotel Receiver?

Thanks in advance for the kind help!

OP
B

Bhh

Forum Donor
Hello. I’m using a typical 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable from the “IR EMITER” output of the Bafx unit to the REM IN of the Rotel. There are 4 of those outputs and besides the one to the Rotel, I’m also using one of the emiter cables that came with the unit to send signals to a mini DSP unit in the same cabinet. Good luck, it still works perfectly.

Joseph Smith

WOW THANKS @Bhh ! Sorry to ask another stupid question, but I'm only used to 3.5mm audio cables, like on headphones. Do I use that kind or another type? Could I by chance bother you for an amazon link for the cable ? I SO APPRECIATE THE HELP YOU HAVE NO IDEA! :):):)

Last edited:

colinbk

WOW THANKS @Bhh ! Sorry to ask another stupid question, but I'm only used to 3.5mm audio cables, like on headphones. Do I use that kind or another type? Could I by chance bother you for an amazon link for the cable ? I SO APPRECIATE THE HELP YOU HAVE NO IDEA! :):):)
I did the set up that @Bhh suggested and it works great - to save another person from reading all the way through the thread to figure it out (with all credit to @Bhh);
-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZGK6QS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Bafx unit)
-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QF1VRPB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (3.5mm male to male)

How to do it:
-Plug the receiver unit into the (1) receiver port of the bafx and mount it someplace the remote can see it
-Plug one end of the 3.5mm male to male cable into the corresponding emitter port (1) and the other end into the REM input on the back of the rotel
-Enjoy!

Top Bottom