• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need an amp with some power!

TechEnthusiast

I have been experimenting with different amps and headphones and I believe that I may have found a solution. I have sampled Both the sennheiser 660s and the Hifiman Sundara. Without a doubt the Sundara's are keepers. The only problem is I am finding the Sundara hard to drive to where the drums really kick in a song like YYZ from Rush. I cannot get there with a fiio K5 but did with an ifi Zen Can, but it is not mine. I was wondering if the ifi would be a worthy pairing or should I look elsewhere. Honestly I do not care for the look and stacking it with a dac would be weird, but it does have some power. And the xbass button (I know that is cheating) really made the drums hit on YYZ that extra little bit.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have the hifiman he1000v2 which are hard to drive. dont know your budget but mine pair well with the schiit magnius.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

If that is the $199 one that's not too bad. How does it compare power wise to that ifi?

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Think that I put this in the wrong thread. Going to post in the headphone amp section. Sry

raif71

Major Contributor
I have been experimenting with different amps and headphones and I believe that I may have found a solution. I have sampled Both the sennheiser 660s and the Hifiman Sundara. Without a doubt the Sundara's are keepers. The only problem is I am finding the Sundara hard to drive to where the drums really kick in a song like YYZ from Rush. I cannot get there with a fiio K5 but did with an ifi Zen Can, but it is not mine. I was wondering if the ifi would be a worthy pairing or should I look elsewhere. Honestly I do not care for the look and stacking it with a dac would be weird, but it does have some power. And the xbass button (I know that is cheating) really made the drums hit on YYZ that extra little bit.
I'm using the ifi zen can with Sundara... With pop/rock , I'm using it at 0db and classical at 6db gain. It is a very powerful amp. Besides Sundara, I'm using it with the Sennheisers 6 series. So far, I'm using the balanced 4.4mm output as most of headphones including the Sundara is using balanced cable.

Top Bottom