• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

need an advice: wireless 5.1 based on 2 RPI + 2 amps

Vavilen

Hello ASR people!
I'm working on assembling 2.0 speakers kit + diy stereo amp.
And I'm thinking if I can extend this setup to use it as a home cinema system.
I want to make it wireless splitting it to from speakers and rear speakers synced between two raspberry Pi + some fancy soft like Volumio or whatever.
The server Raspberry would receive 5.1 sound from TV or TV box via SPDIF or optical cable. The Raspberry client will be synced with the server by any of available protocols.
Does it sound crazy or possible to build?
Thanks in advance!
rpi_5.1.png

frabor

Any progress? Sounds like a cool project. Seems that all bits and pieces are available, but there is some major effort involved to make it Work. It can be reconfigured for two way active speaker crossover.

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Raspberry client will be synced with the server by any of available protocols.
Do you know of any protocol capable of synchronizing the slave and master analog outputs down to milliseconds, and available (i.e. open source) for RPi? Also decently solving the master and slave audio clock difference? IMO timing of rear channels in 5.1 setup is crucial for proper surround sound.

Charlie Laub at diyaudio.com has studied the (very limited) linux solutions for years, you may want to ask him there.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The wireless part is quite a limitation. From what I remember of some discussions around the time PTP time sync was added to GStreamer for Ravenna, AES67 etc. it turned out to be worse than NTP or the native GStreamer time sync when used with unreliable networks like WiFi or powerline networking. Whether either of those are good enough over WiFi I don't know, and things may have moved on since then.
https://archive.fosdem.org/2016/sch...multidevice_media_playback_with_GStreamer.pdf

Roc claimed to do a better job than pulseaudio's native network transport, including over WiFi, but I don't know if it's good enough for this use.
https://roc-streaming.org/toolkit/docs/about_project/overview.html
I'd imagine pipewire will have to look at this sooner or later as it needs to keep audio and video in sync.

Top Bottom