• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need amplifier for Unity Audio Fountainhead speakers

jljonathan

Hi I have a pair of Unity Audio Fountainhead floorstanding speakers (Pyramid design-3 drivers, nominal 7ohms, minimum 5 ohms. I need a amplifier, or amp/preamp, integrated, solid state, or tube for them. Reviewer said they need at least 50 watts. Anyone know they speakers and what would sound great. What about this Hypex Purifi that I see mentioned here. Do they sell and ship to U.S.? What else might be great?

drewdawg999

Well don't know those speakers so don't know the sensitivity, can't find it online. Hypex and Purifi are two different technologies from the same designer, Bruno Putzeys, with the Purifi being newer and supposedly better. I like March Audio for build quality and all they have is Purifi now. They're in Australia but they ship to the U.S. I'm pretty sure it would sound great with your speakers, either the P422 or lower powered P252 for the two stereo models. Audiophonics in France is another cost effective option, they have both Hypex and Purifi models. Here in the U.S. you have VTV or Buckeye (member here, but wait list is pretty long). Many choices, I have the March P502 and it sounds great with my inefficient speakers. It's Hypex based, some people swear they can't tell the difference subjectively between Hypex and Purifi. I feel I got great bang for the buck, but you may not need that much power. Perhaps you could get away with an amp based on the NC252MP module, which would be nice and affordable.

Then you'd need a preamp, the people here would tell you to get a solid state one to avoid distortion, but I have an old Rogue Audio tube pre (Metis) that sounds great and has served me well for many years. That's actually the only preamp I've known and all I can vouch for. (For solid state ones, there's clones on Ali Express of very expensive preamps, though I'm not exactly suggesting you go that route, but I am a little fascinated by the bargain aspect of it, though it's a massive gamble.)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi I have a pair of Unity Audio Fountainhead floorstanding speakers (Pyramid design-3 drivers, nominal 7ohms, minimum 5 ohms. I need a amplifier, or amp/preamp, integrated, solid state, or tube for them. Reviewer said they need at least 50 watts. Anyone know they speakers and what would sound great. What about this Hypex Purifi that I see mentioned here. Do they sell and ship to U.S.? What else might be great?
Any of the reviewed and recommended amps from this forum will do great and most certainly the Purifi amps.

With 5 ohm minimum the speakers don’t seem hard to drive and 50w most amps can easily supply.

Top Bottom