• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need amp suggestions for LS50 Metas - options and details provided

OP
R

rask33

OTOH if you really like loud, why are you using the LS50s? They're not particularly strong in that respect....
Because they're desktop speakers and I primarily sit like 2ft in front of them. But I find I can turn them up to levels that are borderline uncomfortable anyways, even 20ft away. I could return them and get R3s, but they would look ridiculous on my desk, and I absolutely loathe the glossy finish. I'm returning the KC62 and ordered a 1973 1s to replace it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because they're desktop speakers and I primarily sit like 2ft in front of them. But I find I can turn them up to levels that are borderline uncomfortable anyways, even 20ft away. I could return them and get R3s, but they would look ridiculous on my desk, and I absolutely loathe the glossy finish. I'm returning the KC62 and ordered a 1973 1s to replace it.
1973 1S? Sounds like an Arendal model but I don't see one....

Not a desktop guy myself....never want to sit at a desk again :) Are you forced to put the speakers on the desk rather than say on stands in front of the desk and pull the desk out a bit?

OP
R

rask33

1973 1S? Sounds like an Arendal model but I don't see one....

Not a desktop guy myself....never want to sit at a desk again :) Are you forced to put the speakers on the desk rather than say on stands in front of the desk and pull the desk out a bit?
My bad dude it's the 1723. Yeah I'm pretty particular, I wouldn't be comfortable pulling out the desk at all and I hate the look of these things on stands. I think it looks corny. Another thing is I know these speakers have a rear firing port, so I may very well have to plug them or find another solution for placement. KEF recommnends having them 18" off the wall and I am currently managing less than a foot, and I can hear the reverb off that wall.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My bad dude it's the 1723. Yeah I'm pretty particular, I wouldn't be comfortable pulling out the desk at all and I hate the look of these things on stands. I think it looks corny. Another thing is I know these speakers have a rear firing port, so I may very well have to plug them or find another solution for placement. KEF recommnends having them 18" off the wall and I am currently managing less than a foot, and I can hear the reverb off that wall.
Well I don't think I've heard stands called corny before. :)

OP
R

rask33

Well I don't think I've heard stands called corny before. :)
You might as well get tower speakers at that point, do you know why having something like the ADI-2-DAC precludes the need for a preamp?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You might as well get tower speakers at that point, do you know why having something like the ADI-2-DAC precludes the need for a preamp?
Depends on the speaker, no point to cheap skinny tower speakers IMO....those can be more like bookshelf speakers with built in stands. Depends on room size/furnishings too I suppose. Budget to an extent. Bookshelves have some flexibility that towers just don't have. Just get the best speaker you can but if getting stand mounts keep the cost of the stand in mind.

If the dac has a volume control and sufficient output voltage it should function as at least a basic pre-amp for a power amp or powered speakers...might be limited as to number of inputs or some other features a dedicated pre-amp might have.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's your preamp solution? Are you using the miniDSP? And where did you get your Purifi from? Someone ITT mentioned one that I can nab from Boxem, but it ships from Europe. Also I watched a lengthy tutorial on the miniDSP and I can see its usefulness now. I'm considering grabbing one of those as well.
My preamp solution is an Octo Dac 8 Pro fed by a Mele Quieter 3 fanless Windows PC (which renders 4k HDR video, btw and costs $269) running Dirac as a plugin on JRiver. I run ripped files, Qobuz and streaming video. I do not spin silver disks.

OP
R

rask33

might be limited as to number of inputs or some other features a dedicated pre-amp might have.
Yeah so basically I just need to be able to hook up a sub to it. The one I was looking at (ADI-2-DAC) doesn't have ports for this. At this point, ideally I would do this:

Nad C298 -> miniDSP -> Pre90 -> PC

However, I don't want the PC to handle the decoding because the motherboard DAC kind of sucks. Any ideas?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah so basically I just need to be able to hook up a sub to it. The one I was looking at (ADI-2-DAC) doesn't have ports for this. At this point, ideally I would do this:

Nad C298 -> miniDSP -> Pre90 -> PC

However, I don't want the PC to handle the decoding because the motherboard DAC kind of sucks. Any ideas?
If you don't have multiple analog sources, you don't really need the Pre90. This would be my suggested config.

miniDSP_Setup.png

OP
R

rask33

If you don't have multiple analog sources, you don't really need the Pre90. This would be my suggested config.

View attachment 252753
Thanks for that. Am I over thinking the DAC thing? I know the DSP can handle decoding just fine, but I can't even find out what chipset is involved (ESS, AKM) if any. I did skim this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-flex-review-audio-dsp.30804/. I just want to be sure I'm not missing out in the case these reference DACs are worth it.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for that. Am I over thinking the DAC thing? I know the DSP can handle decoding just fine, but I can't even find out what chipset is involved (ESS, AKM) if any. I did skim this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-flex-review-audio-dsp.30804/. I just want to be sure I'm not missing out in the case these reference DACs are worth it.
The DAC performance should be more than good enough. MiniDSP offers a version of Flex with digital output (optical and coax), so you can choose the DACs of your choice.

OP
R

rask33

The DAC performance should be more than good enough. MiniDSP offers a version of Flex with digital output (optical and coax), so you can choose the DACs of your choice.
Would you still go to the PC with the DSP or would you then go PC -> DAC -> DSP? I'll probably end up trying without one to start, but I'd like to have the option to upgrade. I just don't want major redundancies in bottlenecks in my system. Why exactly don't I need a preamp? Does the DSP do amplification at all?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you still go to the PC with the DSP or would you then go PC -> DAC -> DSP? I'll probably end up trying without one to start, but I'd like to have the option to upgrade. I just don't want major redundancies in bottlenecks in my system. Why exactly don't I need a preamp? Does the DSP do amplification at all?
There is no need nor benefits for a DAC between the PC and the MiniDSP. The MiniDSP will have to convert all analog signals into digital for processing (using its on-board ADC). So if you are using a PC as source, with a DAC in between the PC and MiniDSP, you will have unnecessary D-to-A and A-to-D processes in the chain.

alitomr1979

What do you want to improve from the CXA81? I own that amplifier and I give it the highest praise possible at its price especially when paired with the LS50 OG or Metas.

I tested the Metas extensively woth several amplifiers, including the MF M5si. That thing is a monster and sounds so strong, but neither of us testing liked it very much with the Metas. It sounded strong and with some songs interesting but it wasnt as good as sone of the other amps we tried. In fact, it was the second worse pairing only behind the Monoprice Monolith.

The best one by a wide margin? Peachtree AMp500. Second best was the Emotiva XPA gen3, then the CXA81, followed by a smaller Emotiva that I think it’s now discontinued. They were all tested with several DACS and we all preferred the SMSL M400.

BTW, if you manage to get a recertified AMP500 (mine was 1000usd two years ago) I am sure it will sound much better with a 300usd DAC than the CXA81 for the same price.

I hope this helps, OP.

alitomr1979

Aren't we able to match amps to speakers by just looking at the measured values? This is ASR after all.

It is my opinion that no, we cannot. And no, I have not conducted “proper” tests to get to that conclusion, as the ones I have done the results have not been recorded.

Just recently I got the Gustard R26 DAC and it turned me to the measurements are not all camp, to which I have always been inclined to.

D

Deleted member 48726

Aren't we able to match amps to speakers by just looking at the measured values? This is ASR after all.
Not really, no. As long as complex load testing isn't done it's guess work.

Ajax

Forum Donor

View attachment 252753
I agree with this diagram.

My only thought would be to replace the NAD with a Buckeye 252 Hypex (it's a great amp that I have had for 6 months) at US$575 and say 2 small SVS subs instead of one.
The OP really needs to read Amir's reviews on the Hypex and Purifi amps, they have the best performance / cost ratio by a very long margin.

HiFi has never been better or less expensive for those who take the trouble to educate themselves.

Top Bottom