• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need amp/dac for M1060 under $250

First time poster,
I have been doing a lot of research to find the best amp/dac for under $250 US dollars and it seems every product I find has something wrong with it example, Schiit modi 2 or Magni 3.
After reading the review here of the Topping D30 that looks like a great dac for me but idk if its overkill compared to the BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC204HD.
So should I get separate dac and separate amp for my m1060s or a all-in-one?
And which product(s) do I get?

OP
S
I heard some bad things about the Objective 2 amp, like it was designed to be portable so it runs of batteries.

OP
S
Is the Magni 3 good for the price some people have said bad things about it but there will always be those people.
So is the Magni 3 good?

Gabs

I don't know if the SMSL Ad18 is any good with headphones.
I was very surprised how well my HE400i is driven by the Alientek D8.

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Xduoo TA-o1 Dac/Amp. I have one of these. 2 watts power for the He-400i. Amir has it to test but from what I remember its 12 volt so could be portable I think. But verify that. On Amazon there 160.00(plus 30 day return if you dont like it). The drivers on the cd were corrupted but it uses x-mos V.3 drivers available on mega download. There is a link to the drivers in the Amazon questions and answers on this amps sell page. I have seen them for 120 on Massdrop. It sounds OK for the price.

Rod

Xduoo TA-o1 Dac/Amp. I have one of these. 2 watts power for the He-400i. Amir has it to test but from what I remember its 12 volt so could be portable I think. But verify that. On Amazon there 160.00(plus 30 day return if you dont like it). The drivers on the cd were corrupted but it uses x-mos V.3 drivers available on mega download. There is a link to the drivers in the Amazon questions and answers on this amps sell page. I have seen them for 120 on Massdrop. It sounds OK for the price.
It has a cheap tube. I changed mine to a 12au7 Gold Lion. So about 200 with a new tube.

Rod

Be careful, this amp sounds good enough that higher sound levels can be achieved without apparent distortion so I could see hearing loss with it.

Rod

I don't really want to buy a tube amp, thanks tho.
Its solid state, I think the tube just goes between the dac and amp to warm the sound signature a little. Sometimes it was hard to tell it was there. A hybrid amp I think there called. Happy hunting.

Rod

Of course if Amirs testing comes out bad I will have to conclude that I dont have golden ears.;)

OP
S
The Aune x1s looks like a great deal especially when its on Massdrop.
Do y,all have any thoughts on the x1s?

sssn

I heard some bad things about the Objective 2 amp, like it was designed to be portable so it runs of batteries.

It CAN run off batteries, but you can use it with a wallwart permanently too. The batteries don't even need to be installed.

Last edited:

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I have a M1060 myself, O2 sounds pretty meh with it (it sounds fine with my other cans). I've never tried Magni 3 so I don't know. It sounds awesome with either Audio-gd NFB-11 or R2R-11. You can find used NFB-11 for less than USD250 I think.

Top Bottom