• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice on dac/amp

Anthracite

My headphones broke and I decided to treat myself, I spent far longer than I care to admit trying to understand an industry and science that I have long neglected. I've purchased DT 770 Pro, 80ohm.

My usage is occasional music at Spotify quality (I presume around CD quality?), movies on netflix and other streaming platforms and a whole lot of gaming.

My current audio interface is my Gigabyte x570 aorus elite. It apparently uses "ALC1200" and "high end WIMA and Nichicon Fine Gold" audio capacitors but that means very little to me.

I've spent the last 24 hours trying to digest a plethora of reviews on dac's, amps and dac/amp combos as well as owner opinions and I'm no more comfortable than I was at the start of my journey on what the benefit to having an external amp/dac is.

I'm hoping someone can offer me some perspective on whether my use case would be significantly improved by either a dac or an amp and what my options are for decent units at a £100-200 price point. (£100 for dac or amp or £200 total). The headphones arrive tomorrow so I'll get to see whether there's any glaring issues but unfortunately I have nowhere to try out these systems to see whether they suit.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My headphones broke and I decided to treat myself, I spent far longer than I care to admit trying to understand an industry and science that I have long neglected. I've purchased DT 770 Pro, 80ohm.

My usage is occasional music at Spotify quality (I presume around CD quality?), movies on netflix and other streaming platforms and a whole lot of gaming.

My current audio interface is my Gigabyte x570 aorus elite. It apparently uses "ALC1200" and "high end WIMA and Nichicon Fine Gold" audio capacitors but that means very little to me.

I've spent the last 24 hours trying to digest a plethora of reviews on dac's, amps and dac/amp combos as well as owner opinions and I'm no more comfortable than I was at the start of my journey on what the benefit to having an external amp/dac is.

I'm hoping someone can offer me some perspective on whether my use case would be significantly improved by either a dac or an amp and what my options are for decent units at a £100-200 price point. (£100 for dac or amp or £200 total). The headphones arrive tomorrow so I'll get to see whether there's any glaring issues but unfortunately I have nowhere to try out these systems to see whether they suit.
I am using the SupremeFX S1220A CODEC @ my ASUS Z370E running Sennheiser HD 598SR headphones and it sounds fantastic. I could use more power sometimes but I'm really being fussy at that point. I suggest you use the onboard sound for a few days and see if you like it. Remember if you get a outboard DAC and a amp you will lose the EQ in the sound properties and won't even have bass and treble controls.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would say to return the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones, there are better options.

Top Bottom