• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Advice on DAC/AMP Combo

rolandlin

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and I do not know much about HIFi Audio. I always listen to EPIC and classical music (MP3 or FLAC) with earphone on desktop computer. Lately, I bought a new tailor-made computer. The sound from the onboard sound card is terrible and quite unnatural.

My desktop computer is connected with Edifier C2XD 2.1 but I don't use it very often.

I am looking for a USB DAC/AMP combo that I can listen to music with TFZ King Pro earphone. My budget is $200 or below. Can anyone give me some advice on the following four DAC/AMP
  1. Audioengine D1
  2. Topping A30
  3. Topping A50
  4. Topping DX3 Pro
Thanks in advance.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hasn't been measured. Avoid.

These are regular amps without DACs.

High output impedance. Avoid.
If the only 'phones the op is likely to use are the TFZ or other iem, is there any mileage in suggesting anything more that meizu hifi Pro dongle, hidisz s8, the upcoming e1da9038 D? See dongle reviews in the review charts OP.

If they want to move to bigger, less sensitive, higher impedance cans later, they've spent little. Assuming all desktop based listening, plus can go mobile.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, probably not, unless he wants a pot for convenience's sake.
I did forget about the pot, but yes, can access keyboard for volume on pc.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on my limited budget ($200 or below), any suggestion on USB DAC/AMP combo?

Yes, a dongle. See post #3

All USB dac /amps. All well measured and reviewed. All much less than £200. See my caveats on use and 'phones to use with them

Last edited:
There is a product supposedly coming out in June that a lot of people here in ASR are waiting for. It's called the E1DA 9038D. Its balanced version, the E1DA 9038S has been measured here by Amir. For IEMs, I suggest focusing on the SNR at 50mV graph for measurements. Feel free to read that review more carefully to know more about the company E1DA.

Otherwise, you can look into some Schiit products (Schiit Hel, Schiit Magni + Modi) and the Fiio K5 Pro. But in my opinion, just wait until the E1DA 9038D comes out. I think that DAC/AMP combo would be exactly the solution you are looking for at a potentially <$100 price point. Just be careful, supply might be a problem. But since that company is in China, getting the product to Hong Kong shouldn't be a problem.

OP
R

rolandlin

I believe I will upgrade my speaker and headphone in a year, so I change my mind. Instead of Topping Dx3 Pro, I am considering separate DAC and AMP.

Which one of the following stacks would you recommend?
  • Topping A30/D30 ($229.98)
  • ATOM DAC + ATOM AMP ($198)
  • ATOM AMP + Topping D30 ($218.99)
  • Topping A30 + ATOM DAC (($208.99)

I would also like to know if the following setup is correct
  • DAC connect to desktop computer by USB cable
  • AMP connect to DAC by RCA cables.

Should 2.1 or 2.0 speaker connect to AMP or DAC by RCA cables?

Thanks in advance

kazzak

Usually you can use USB, optical and coax as your DAC input. It changes from model to model. There is also a new Topping DAC available, the E30.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I believe I will upgrade my speaker and headphone in a year, so I change my mind. Instead of Topping Dx3 Pro, I am considering separate DAC and AMP.

Which one of the following stacks would you recommend?
  • Topping A30/D30 ($229.98)
  • ATOM DAC + ATOM AMP ($198)
  • ATOM AMP + Topping D30 ($218.99)
  • Topping A30 + ATOM DAC (($208.99)

I would also like to know if the following setup is correct
  • DAC connect to desktop computer by USB cable
  • AMP connect to DAC by RCA cables.

Should 2.1 or 2.0 speaker connect to AMP or DAC by RCA cables?

Thanks in advance
I would get Topping E30+Atom amp or wait for the Topping L30 to arrive (might be a bit over budget).

PC -> USB -> DAC -> RCA -> Headphone amp -> RCA to powered speakers (or power amplifier). You can use the headphone amp as a preamp.

OP
R

rolandlin

I finally ordered Topping A30/E30 on yesterday. I am looking for a pair of open-ended headphone under $220. Can anyone give me some advise for the following 4 headphones:
Massdrop Hifiman HE4XX $160
Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x $170 (Not available to ship to Hong Kong)
Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx $220 (Not available to ship to Hong Kong)
Philips Fidelio X2HR $144.95 at Amazon.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I finally ordered Topping A30/E30 on yesterday. I am looking for a pair of open-ended headphone under $220. Can anyone give me some advise for the following 4 headphones:
Massdrop Hifiman HE4XX $160
Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x $170 (Not available to ship to Hong Kong)
Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx $220 (Not available to ship to Hong Kong)
Philips Fidelio X2HR $144.95 at Amazon.
If the 58X is not available for shipping, then the X2HR seems to be very competent (decently "neutral"):

http://test.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/philips/fidelio-x2hr

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-philips/fidelio-x2hr/

3125b

Major Contributor
would get Topping E30+Atom amp
+1
That is the sensible thing to do. Topping L30 might be an option when it releases, I'm sure it's a steller performer, but probably not worth an extra 60$ or so over Atom amp for quite a few people (including this case I guess).

With the IEMs you need a DAC with volume control if you're going to use an amp with analog volume control, else you'd have to use Windows volume control because on the last few percent of the analog volume control won't be useable due to the channel imbalance.
I use that exact same combo, with my HE-35X I run the DAC at -12dB, with IEMs you might need to turn it down even more (the Atom amps lowest gain setting is 1x).
The Atom amps output impedance is ~1 Ohm, wich is exactly what you need with a low impedance IEM.

OP
R

rolandlin

+1
That is the sensible thing to do. Topping L30 might be an option when it releases, I'm sure it's a steller performer, but probably not worth an extra 60$ or so over Atom amp for quite a few people (including this case I guess).

With the IEMs you need a DAC with volume control if you're going to use an amp with analog volume control, else you'd have to use Windows volume control because on the last few percent of the analog volume control won't be useable due to the channel imbalance.
I use that exact same combo, with my HE-35X I run the DAC at -12dB, with IEMs you might need to turn it down even more (the Atom amps lowest gain setting is 1x).
The Atom amps output impedance is ~1 Ohm, wich is exactly what you need with a low impedance IEM.
Does it mean I need to turn the Windows 10 volume to maximum and then use the amp to control the volume?

Top Bottom