• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice on accessory to add spotify support for an almost 30 year old Sony receiver

shorty310

I have a Sony STR-AV570 receiver which I am trying to use to stream Spotify premium music (to Bose Acoustimass 5 Series II speakers). Which would result in higher sound quality? I currently have a chromecast connected to the hdmi port of my Samsung TV (which doesn't support Spotify since it is from 2013). The Samsung TV is connected to the receiver via RCA connectors. Am I better off buying the cables to connect an ipad air 2 or phone to the RCA ports of the receiver or would the sound quality be about the same? What I am doing right now is a hack. I have to leave the TV on (and turn the picture off via a menu setting to prevent image burn in) when I am casting my Android phone (playing Spotify) to the Samsung TV (with input source set to the hdmi port with the Chromecast connected to it).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last I looked a CCA was about $50 on eBay. I bought two.

cuchu

I have a Sony STR-AV570 receiver which I am trying to use to stream Spotify premium music (to Bose Acoustimass 5 Series II speakers). Which would result in higher sound quality? I currently have a chromecast connected to the hdmi port of my Samsung TV (which doesn't support Spotify since it is from 2013). The Samsung TV is connected to the receiver via RCA connectors. Am I better off buying the cables to connect an ipad air 2 or phone to the RCA ports of the receiver or would the sound quality be about the same? What I am doing right now is a hack. I have to leave the TV on (and turn the picture off via a menu setting to prevent image burn in) when I am casting my Android phone (playing Spotify) to the Samsung TV (with input source set to the hdmi port with the Chromecast connected to it).

I would recommend you a Raspberry pi 4.
You can use it with an usb dac or an specific dac for the pi. You can get high quality audio with a low budget. The easiest software to set up is volumio. Its free and ready for Spotify connect.
If you are interested on it, I can help you.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I would recommend you a Raspberry pi 4.
You can use it with an usb dac or an specific dac for the pi. You can get high quality audio with a low budget. The easiest software to set up is volumio. Its free and ready for Spotify connect.
If you are interested on it, I can help you.

Does RPi4 work with an Ethernet switch? Or, is a cabled Ethernet connection required? Would you please comment cuchu?

gvl

Major Contributor
Last time I checked the Volumio Spotify client was a hack that Spotify may blacklist at a moments notice. They haven't thus far however, so maybe they never will.

raindance

Major Contributor
Just buy the new Emotiva virtual copper bluetooth receiver and use your phone or tablet. I just got one. It sounds great.

gvl

Major Contributor
Wouldn't Bluetooth result in more loss?

Even if not you will need to keep your phone or tablet relatively close to the Bluetooth device. Might as well just use a 3.5mm to RCA cable from your phone to the receiver.

cuchu

I have been using volumio since more than 3 years ago. Its stable and very reliable. Spotify connect, qobuz, tidal, flacs and dsd archives.

I have a Rpi3 + Allo Boss Dac 1.2, in my secondary system, and a Rpi4 + khadas tone board in my main system.

OP
S

shorty310

Would streaming music via a wired connection from my ipad or phone be the same or better quality than streaming wirelessly using a chromecast audio? My phone has 95 Mbps download speed and 11.2 Mbps upload speed (I ran a test from the xfinity website).

I decided to repurpose the chromecast I already have for a TV where the wireless adapter died (to stream video content).

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Would streaming music via a wired connection from my ipad or phone be the same or better quality than streaming wirelessly using a chromecast audio?

Should be about the same for this application. Modern phones have reasonable to very good audio quality, if anything the receiver will be the bottleneck.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
You can use ethernet cable o wifi.

I thought it needed a dongle. Which, I called a switch. My bad. WiFi is on board.

raindance

Major Contributor
Honestly a Bluetooth receiver using APTX sounds almost indistinguishable from a wire. I use Amazon Music HD, Spotify is too lossy for my ears, but for casual listening it's fine and you don't have to deal with the pitiful low output level of the phone headphone jack.

Top Bottom