• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice, Genelec 8361A volume control suggestions

73hadd

Forum Donor
Interested in the Genelec 8361A. My sources are analog and some digital players. If I use my own analog preamp it is simple, no discussion needed on that point.

For digital inputs I am not sure what to do. From the 8361A operations manual, Page 2, Audio Inputs section:

"When the digital audio source can adjust level, it is
advantageous to lower the output level of the 8361A using the
rear panel controls or the GLM Master Fader. This enables a
higher output level at the source with more resolution while
taking full advantage of the impressively low self-generated
noise of the 8361A."

I would prefer to use my digital player (at or near) full volume, as I am under the impression that it will have the most resolution that way.

I am thinking to use this wireless remote with GLM to control the Genelecs:

Has anyone used this in practice and have any objections or comments?

I am a little bit stuck on the wording "when the digital source can adjust level" because it almost sounds like a recommendation. I am guessing that the 8361A volume control itself is not "digital" in the sense that changing the volume via GLM, or the back panel, would change the digital resolution any way, rather it is to adjust gain to the final amplifier stage. Does this sound correct, would I need to ask Genelec to verify?

Thank you.

Olius

I think that paragraph is weirdly worded. It feels like it's missing an "even". I think they meant to write it as
"Even when the digital audio source can adjust level, it is
advantageous to lower the output level of the 8361A using the
rear panel controls or the GLM Master Fader"

You are correct in that it's best to keep the digital signal at full resolution all the way to the speaker and attenuate the signal att the final amplifier stage, which is what GLM volume control does. I'm using the Genelec 9310B Wired Volume Controller for this and it works great. I like that the wheel has an indentation on it, so I can see what volume the speakers are at just by glancing at it. I've not tried the wireless remote unfortunately.

OP

73hadd

Forum Donor
Looks like it happens in the DSP? Doesn't change my plans to still use the GLM control:

"Genelec SAM™ monitors and subwoofers implement the volume control as a part of the DSP processing inside each unit. Decreasing the value makes the audio sample values smaller. This is done using proper dithering and with sufficient dynamic range so that there is no increase of distortion or noise at any setting of the volume control. Because of this, using an analogue volume control cannot bring any further benefit.
The command to set the volume to a certain level is created in the computer user interface software GLM and mediated into all monitors and subwoofer using the Genelec GLM control network. No audio signals travel on the control network"

Without getting into all the arguments about digital volume control, I belive that the "sufficient dynamic range" does eliminate concerns of degradation, even if not bit-perfect. Using an analog preamp would eliminate any modification from a digital volume control, but adds the ADC stage so maybe the result is equal. I am trying to adapt to the DSP world and it's still difficult sometimes!

Tangband

Major Contributor
One can save the GLM volume setting into the speakers . If you connect GLM, you can lower the internal digital volume thats after the dsp crossover to about -20 dB .
Then save it.

You can then put away the GLM kit and use a digital preamp like Yamaha wxc50 with spdif out, or a computer with a DDC and do the volume regulation at the source, digitaly without to much compromise.

In this way you dont have to have GLM connected all the time and the sound will be good. With my 8340 , a digital input signal sounds a bit better than an analog from a separate DAC .

Top Bottom