• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice for DAC - SMSL SU-8v2 or Topping D50S

Sak

At first I thought to buy the new SMSL M500 (9038PRO), but now I bought JDS Labs Atom and trying to choose DAC for it. I think will be enough mobile version(ES9038Q2M ), Most likely I will not hear the difference between them.

SMSL SU-8v2 or Topping D50S - which is best buy right now ?
Thanks.

Veri

Master Contributor
Topping D50s is a very elegant stack with Atom. On the other hand Su-8 has balanced output in case you'd ever want/need that.

Both should be fine choices.

letsgoo

I ordered su8 on last prime day but the remote control didn't work. In the reviews many people had the same doa problem or the same problem after a few months. Hmm..

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I ordered su8 on last prime day but the remote control didn't work. In the reviews many people had the same doa problem or the same problem after a few months. Hmm..
There was a certain button you have to press on the remote for it to work with the DAC, did you do that?
It is stated in the paperwork that comes with the SU-8 from what I remember.
Lots of people complained of the remote not working, but it was just that missed step.

As to OP's question, can't go wrong with either, but the D50s will look very nice matched up with the Atom, and you get Bluetooth capabilities as well.

Last edited:

letsgoo

There was a certain button you have to press on the remote for it to work with the DAC, did you do that?
It is stated in the paperwork that comes with the SU-8 from what I remember.
Lots of people complained of the remote not working, but it was just that missed step.

As to OP's question, can't go wrong with either, but the D50s will look very nice matched up with the Atom, and you get Bluetooth capabilities as well.
Ok... if you say that...... I am not sure anymore.
If that was the reason... I am really sad. That was the only chance to buy that for a nice price... :-(

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ok... if you say that...... I am not sure anymore.
If that was the reason... I am really sad. That was the only chance to buy that for a nice price... :-(
Sorry, didn't mean to get you upset. Keep an eye on Drop, it shows up on there for $200.
And I just looked on Amazon, and it says that before using the remote to press the C button, that might have been the problem.

wadec22

I am surprised that the D50s doesn't receive more criticism. The THD+N graph certainly appears to have some goofy stuff going on in the high frequencies, even before the issue at 28k that amir mentions messes with the results. That graph makes me uncomfortable recommending it.

The SMSL SU-8 v2 is okay I guess but still exhibits the ESS hump.

Personally in this price bracket, I still think the JDS EL Dac doesn't get enough love around here. Maybe not world class SINAD certainly does almost everything very well. Only reasons not to get it are if you need a screen, XLR or remote. It bests those mentions here in reliability & service.

As always, make sure what you buy does well enough in testing as to be audibly transparent, otherwise, it's all about what features and aesthetic you want.

Attachments

• d50s distortion.JPG
    d50s distortion.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 358
OP
Sak

Sak

As a result, I bought SMSL SU-8 v2 and am very satisfied, everything works perfectly, like the sound very much :)

letsgoo

As a result, I bought SMSL SU-8 v2 and am very satisfied, everything works perfectly, like the sound very much :)
I hope u don't have/make the problem with the remote controller like me. ;)

liquidsmoke

I happen to have the smsl DA-8, Sh-8 & SU-8 and I thought the remote did not work as well. Not sure where I found this out, maybe some forunm but if you press "C" then any function button it may work. The way it works for me is "A" controls DA-8. "B" controls SH-8 And "C" controls the SU-8. Hope this helps. Cheer!

Smychavo

Been wondering what DAC would pair well with an Asgard 3. The EL DAC II looks really neat, but idk if it's necessary to grab any other DAC atm since I already have the Apple Dongle DAC for my PC setup-

Veri

Master Contributor
Been wondering what DAC would pair well with an Asgard 3. The EL DAC II looks really neat, but idk if it's necessary to grab any other DAC atm since I already have the Apple Dongle DAC for my PC setup-
I personally upgraded my Apple dongle to a Meizu one but yeah, there's truly good dongles out there! Imo there's no need to splurge on a 'super' DAC

Smychavo

I personally upgraded my Apple dongle to a Meizu one but yeah, there's truly good dongles out there! Imo there's no need to splurge on a 'super' DAC
Considering one has to spend much more money fo get just a few more points in performance, some inputs I most likely will never use, and maybe bluetooth, it came to me as a surprise at how well the dongle is for my use case. If anything it means I'll be able to put whatever money I had in mind for a DAC into some nicer headphones lol. Been thinking of grabbing Nighthawks, but those are seemingly running out of stock. So I suppose I'll grab myself something else like the Sundara, or maybe the HE5SE or hell, wait a little more for Ether CXs, or Aeon Open X for something different lmao

Top Bottom