• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice for buying amp/dac for HD6XX!

eXodus

Bought the HD6XX awhile back. I need to buy amp/dac combo or separately since I'm using these at my desk on my PC and my mobo isn't able to put out anywhere near enough to power these cans.

So any suggested amp/dac's for this headphone to really make it shine but not break the bank. I'm in Canada, so keeping the budget to 200-600ish? Am I even in the right ball park? It seems everyone has a different opinion and I have no basis on what to look for.

I'm outputting from my PC via DAC-UP (USB) so the DAC needs to have a USB in at least. I've been looking at the Schiit Stack, JDS, Topping DX7 Pro, THX 788/789, but I guess I need some guidance. Again trying to find something to make the HD6XX's shine.

thomasjast

Try an Atom + your on-board sound card first. You might be surprised. Cheapest option in Canada; I didn’t get stung with customs fees on my purchase. If you feel you need more, add a Topping D10 and be done with.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would recommend an outboard DAC, if only because most motherboards are not designed for quality line output. There's a whole lot of noise and interference going on inside a computer.

raif71

Major Contributor
For desktop solution, I have both Atom+Topping D50s and all in one Fiio K5 Pro. They both sound nice. I back and forth between the two with my hd6xx, hd660s, sundara, m50x and sony 1am2

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe you can grind down for a good deal on a Monoprice Monolith THX887 from Canuck Audio Mart. It's a bit of a stretch but you get the best.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...thx-887-balance-headphone-amp-new-champ.8942/
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649577118-monolith-thx-887/
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/57-headphone-amplifiers/?page=1
393591.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Computer line-out directly into a headphone amp? No audible hiss or noise?
The newer motherboards have excellent mute circuitry and are near silent. I know my ALC1220 CODEC motherboard is silent and no noises. But using that output is kinda durty. A DAC added on later or now is good.

OP
E

eXodus

My motherboard has the ALC1220 Codec. I ideally wanted just about the best setup for these headphones. I don't mind paying a bit more, and I live 5 mins from the US border, have an address over there so duty/shipping isn't a concern necessarily.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My motherboard has the ALC1220 Codec. I ideally wanted just about the best setup for these headphones. I don't mind paying a bit more, and I live 5 mins from the US border, have an address over there so duty/shipping isn't a concern necessarily.
Go for the best your money can afford and get the balanced output amp for now and for later. Are balanced headphone cables available for the HD6XX?

OP
E

eXodus

Go for the best your money can afford and get the balanced output amp for now and for later. Are balanced headphone cables available for the HD6XX?

Just requested the cable, do I even need one really? As I understand it just helps to provide more power up to the headphones? As for the amp/dac not even sure what the best is to get?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just requested the cable, do I even need one really? As I understand it just helps to provide more power up to the headphones? As for the amp/dac not even sure what the best is to get?
Generally the balanced power output is usually about double.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping D3X Pro, under $200 and it rocks. I use it with My HD6xx

Celty

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
If you do get a balanced cable for hd6xx, you'll need an amp that has balanced out like the monoprice thx mentioned here.

Top Bottom