• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice choosing a DAC

Advice choosing a DAC

• Total voters
OP
M

M1ndoz

Hmmmz. Try installing this Peace Equalizer overtop of EQ APO and then open the Peace Equalizer window and there will be a different skin on EQ APO. Sometimes the input and output settings vary too.
I installed Peace, but still same problem with Audirvana... But I got the point, I will try play with it. So as I understand in my case DAC will not change anything and it is not worth to buy one? If so then in which cases buying DAC make sense?

OP
M

M1ndoz

Thank you all for answers and all information it was really helpful. If you can recommend based on my setup more expensive DAC, which will made some difference, please feel free :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you all for answers and all information it was really helpful. If you can recommend based on my setup more expensive DAC, which will made some difference, please feel free :)
The RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and headphone amp has PEQ and variable loudness. It also remembers the volume settings for each source and the PEQ settings for each source.

Trell

Major Contributor
Thank you for your time and recommendations!

The RME ADI-2 DAC FS is a great DAC as well as a powerful headphone amp with very many useful features, but it’s much more expensive than any of the DACs you asked about in your first post.

I own the RME myself and I’m very satisfied with it.

For me the Dynamic Loudness is very nice when listening at lower volume, I use PEQ for my headphones, bass/treble tone controls are handy at times. The PEQ can also be used for a simple room EQ to knock down a few peaks, though I do room EQ in my Genelec monitors. There is a useful and configurable remote as well.

OP
M

M1ndoz

The RME ADI-2 DAC FS is a great DAC as well as a powerful headphone amp with very many useful features, but it’s much more expensive than any of the DACs you asked about in your first post.

I own the RME myself and I’m very satisfied with it.

For me the Dynamic Loudness is very nice when listening at lower volume, I use PEQ for my headphones, bass/treble tone controls are handy at times. The PEQ can also be used for a simple room EQ to knock down a few peaks, though I do room EQ in my Genelec monitors. There is a useful and configurable remote as well.
Thanks for all this information. Yes, this DAC is on completely different price range, but I fully understand why. At the begining I was looking for a budget option, but which still can improve my current setup sound quality. So I am still curious why people then buying cheap DACs if they didn't providing real difference in sound quality? Or am I missing something there?

Trell

Major Contributor
Thanks for all this information. Yes, this DAC is on completely different price range, but I fully understand why. At the begining I was looking for a budget option, but which still can improve my current setup sound quality. So I am still curious why people then buying cheap DACs if they didn't providing real difference in sound quality? Or am I missing something there?
The RME has very many features, as well as excellent driver, support and documentation. If you don’t want or need them there are, as you write, far cheaper DACs available.

OP
M

M1ndoz

The RME has very many features, as well as excellent driver, support and documentation. If you don’t want or need them there are, as you write, far cheaper DACs available.
I think I wrote my last post not really clear, sorry for that... But thank you for your answer and patience :) My question was more in general about your opinion. If cheap DACs can really make any diferent in sound quality? I am really new in audio world, so I am curious and just trying to understand new things.

OP
M

M1ndoz

Or maybe is better to invest first in good Amp and only after this start to think about a DAC?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you think price range is particularly the key?

OP
M

M1ndoz

Actually, I don't know, so that's why I ask in this forum questions and opinion :) As I wrote I am new in all of this, so for me all opinions and suggestions are really helpful. I am looking how to uograde my current setup and improve sound quality. And I was thinking that DAC can help me to achieve that.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, I don't know, so that's why I ask in this forum questions and opinion :) As I wrote I am new in all of this, so for me all opinions and suggestions are really helpful. I am looking how to uograde my current setup and improve sound quality. And I was thinking that DAC can help me to achieve that.
What is it about the current dac and/or why do you think it is a bottleneck now?

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I am looking how to uograde my current setup and improve sound quality. And I was thinking that DAC can help me to achieve that.
As others have suggested the DAC is the last thing to improve sound quality unless what you use now is actually broken. Since you use a Raspberry Pi with Volumio you have access to CamillaDSP. The biggest improvement you can make is learning to use REW and (optionally) Rephase to measure and correct your speakers with DSP, either with Camilla on the Pi or APO on Windows. As an added bonus both REW and Rephase are free! The next 'upgrade' you can make is a subwoofer and/or physical room treatments. Only then, once you have exhausted the possibilities of EQ and room treatments need you begen looking at other upgrades. First is obviously better speakers, then better amplifier, then (and only then) a better DAC.

Trell

Major Contributor
I think I wrote my last post not really clear, sorry for that... But thank you for your answer and patience :) My question was more in general about your opinion. If cheap DACs can really make any diferent in sound quality? I am really new in audio world, so I am curious and just trying to understand new things.

There is more to the a DAC than just the DAC IC and it's implementation.

You want a DAC that has the connectivity you need/want, like balanced output, Bluetooth, digital inputs like SPDIF over TOSLINK or coaxial. Perhaps digital volume control and even a remote, and if using a remote you might want a big screen so you can see the volume level at a distance. Then there is build quality, documentation, support, looks and price. You might care about where the DAC is made. I want DSP as well as a headphone amp built-in, and then there are not so many choices left.

The above is just a short list on top of my head what people are looking for, and this will differentiate among the various DACs as well as their price.

OP
M

M1ndoz

Thank you all of your answers, now I have much clearer understanding and know possible directions where to focus and how I can move forward.

Holmz

Major Contributor
The RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and headphone amp has PEQ and variable loudness. It also remembers the volume settings for each source and the PEQ settings for each source.

I have one of those as well.
But if the OP does not use the EQ, and doesn’t use headphones, then they also do not need the headphone amp.

I want to believe that RME getting a digital Spotify stream from the iPad sounds better than my iPad dongle feed RCAs into the stereo, but I am really not sure.
They both sound great,

Unless they need or want a DAC, then there is nothing I have seen to convince me that they don’t need a some cheap dongle to get where they want to go.

Holmz

Major Contributor

Actually, I don't know, so that's why I ask in this forum questions and opinion :) As I wrote I am new in all of this, so for me all opinions and suggestions are really helpful. I am looking how to upgrade my current setup and improve sound quality. And I was thinking that DAC can help me to achieve that.

I would not say I have what would be considered a budget system, and the RME was probably 2-3x what I should have spent (i.e. what I needed).
But I most do vinyl and TV and stream for podcasts and background music.

…. I am looking how to upgrade my current setup and improve sound quality. And I was thinking that DAC can help me to achieve that.

• How do you want to improve it?
  • What is wrong with it?
    • Or what do you believe is lacking?
  • Do you only use digitial music?
    • Or are there other inputs (TV, LP, etc.?
  • Do you have some sort of goal in terms of what it should do and how it should sound?
The statement “Improve it” suggests that one can point to something wrong, which can be made better.

Unless you have some measurement showing that the sound it not good, like poor frequency response, or insufficient bass or ”Sound Power Level” (SPL), then it will be spending money on things which have not rational reasoning which shows that they are needed.

and it is easier to improve on one aspect, or say speakers if one has an amp, and preamp.
But active speakers maybe a better improvement.

I would go slow and consider some plan or goal.

Top Bottom