• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice choosing a DAC

Advice choosing a DAC

• Total voters

M1ndoz

Hello all,

Currently I am using Allo Boss 1.2v with raspberry pi4 and Volumio, but I want to upgrade my current setup and I would like to buy a external DAC (I plan also connect TV), so I would like to get some advice.

Currently I am choosing between these 4 options below:

For me is important to get as much as possible, in this price range, natural sound, deep low frequencies and wider sound stage.
Is any of these 4 DAC's is good option or it will be same as with Allo Boss 1.2v?

Robin L

Master Contributor
DACs are already a solved issue as regards sound quality. Of all the components in the system, they have the least impact on the sound. I'm currently using my Topping E30, am very happy with its performance. I use the USB in for music on a chip, running through my PC. The BluRay player that functions as my CD player is attached via the optical in. I suspect you can't go wrong with any of the three but cast my vote for the Topping E30 II.

OP
M

M1ndoz

I doubt you can hear a difference. What transducers are you using?
Thank you for your answer, I am really sorry but am not so good at terminology, so I am not sure if I correctly understand regarding transducers. I use Yamaha R-S202D

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you for your answer, I am really sorry but am not so good at terminology, so I am not sure if I correctly understand regarding transducers. I use Yamaha R-S202D
I think he meant speakers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A transducer is a electronic component that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy or electrical energy into mechanical energy. In simple names it is the speaker. What speakers (transducers) are you using?

OP
M

M1ndoz

A transducer is a electronic component that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy or electrical energy into mechanical energy. In simple names it is the speaker. What speakers (transducers) are you using?
Thank you for a detail explanation, I use Dynavoice Definition DF-8

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you :)
Dynavoice Definition DF-8
You might hear a difference with those speakers but it would be a tiny difference and it might even be you imagining a difference to exist.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get the DAC if your TV also outputs a digital signal then it have utility for you , you can play multiple sources something your current setup does not do :) ( seems like everyone else missed that part)

But manage expectations about possible sonic differences.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For music I am using Volumio + Tidal, sometimes I use Windows PC and Audirvana + Tidal for streaming music to same Rasperry pi with Volumio OS.
Hmmmz. Have you used a EQ/PEQ? (Equalizer/parametric equalizer.)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's see your EQ APO operating.
Here's mine operating.
z peq 222.png

OP
M

M1ndoz

Let's see your EQ APO operating.
Here's mine operating.
View attachment 239208
The problem is that when I am play directly from Tidal on PC EQ APO works just fine and I can hear real difference, but if I play music from Audirvana (what I always do on PC) EQ APO is not working, if I change something in EQ, nothing is changed during Audirvana playback.
So probably there is something specific with Audirvana.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is that when I am play directly from Tidal on PC EQ APO works just fine and I can hear real difference, but if I play music from Audirvana (what I always do on PC) EQ APO is not working, if I change something in EQ, nothing is changed during Audirvana playback.
So probably there is something specific with Audirvana.
Hmmmz. Try installing this Peace Equalizer overtop of EQ APO and then open the Peace Equalizer window and there will be a different skin on EQ APO. Sometimes the input and output settings vary too.

Top Bottom