• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice : BlueSound Node vs ?

TheSeaKodiak

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I currently own a Sonos Connect streamer for years now. I am planning to update it for newer one which can "capture" HiRes definition. I've read good recurring reviews about the BlueSound Node, the Audiolab 6000N among other, below 1000$. Just to mention that my streamer is to be connected to a A25 Sudgen amp and a pair of Snell Acoustics speakers. What are your thoughts about that ? I prefer definition and depth over dynamic response. Thanks for your advices.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't change the streamer. If anything I would get an external DAC but that isn't likely to make a difference either. Sonos does 24 bit with Qobuz up to (44KHz and 48KHz) so you can do 24 bit on a lot of what is on there if that matters to you.

OP
T

TheSeaKodiak

With all thou respect, actually my only concern is about detail, definition and "3D sound image". This is what I am thinking when I a thank of hires definitions. Moreover when I check the specs for the Sonos Connect it says a maximum digital audio bit depth of 16-bit. My secondary question : is there any implications of this parameter on the overall quality of the sound rendition ?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
What are your thoughts about that ?

Don't bother.

Higher sample rate gives higher frequency extension, that's it. Not more detail. Some will say it also gives less risk of aliasing affecting the audible range, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Higher bit dept gives larger dynamic range, but music that lets you take advantage of that is non-existent. So, pointless except if you need headroom for DSP.

I prefer definition and depth over dynamic response.

That's the job of your speakers ;)

Reactions: ENG

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
My secondary question : is there any implications of this parameter on the overall quality of the sound rendition ?

Not anything worth mentioning. The mastering of the music and your speakers + room interaction will have infinitely more impact.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
when I check the specs for the Sonos Connect it says a maximum digital audio bit depth of 16-bit.
You may be looking at old Sonos info. With S2 Sonos (and Connect Gen2) supports 24-bit up to 48KHz. Gen1 version of Connect do not support S2, and I don't know how 24 bit is handled in that case but I think they play but truncated to 16-bit.

Of course you can play your own 24/44 or 24/48 tracks as well if you are streaming your own library on Sonos.

OP
T

TheSeaKodiak

Thank you so much. For your information I own the Sonos Connect of first generation.

ferdybossy

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I currently own a Sonos Connect streamer for years now. I am planning to update it for newer one which can "capture" HiRes definition. I've read good recurring reviews about the BlueSound Node, the Audiolab 6000N among other, below 1000$. Just to mention that my streamer is to be connected to a A25 Sudgen amp and a pair of Snell Acoustics speakers. What are your thoughts about that ? I prefer definition and depth over dynamic response. Thanks for your advices.
After reading many positive reviews, I bought the Bluesound Node2i. Loved it. But came to discover that classical music for example, doesn't sound that great.
And much has been written about the DAC, this device really works wonders, the R2R are often the best. But you have to be able to afford it.
Was also extremely satisfied with Spotify fantastic app and with the wide range of music. When I read that Apple streams Lossless I went to try that.
If your equipment is better than average, you only want to listen to Lossless audio. If your DAC is good, opera or the concert grand will also sound much better.
You can receive Apple Music Lossless audio via IOS/ANDROID (then you have to charge the battery every time) PC/Mac (mini). But the higher resolution only becomes available/audible with an external DAC
Use double shielded cables. And the USB cable connected via the Audioquest JitterBug FMJ also provides a huge improvement. I have the RME ADI-2 FS DAC which really makes it sound great. No one on this site shares my opinion, but I like the sound quality much better with the sBooster linear power supply.

Wicky

There are so many options...

I expect you'd like similar "ease-of-use" out of the box solution with an operating system similar to the Sonos as well as the ability to stream higher resolution music?

What is your source music? TIDAL, Quobuz, or locally stored music?

Are you interested in DSP/EQ/room-correction functionality?

These would make a difference for potential recommendations...

Last edited:
OP
T

TheSeaKodiak

I am not an expert. Just a music lover. My actual setup includes one A25 Sugden amp and a pair of Snell Acoustic speaker with a Sonos Connect G1. I heard about external DAC for improving dynamic range since my speakers are quite neutral. But I am not certain it will improve a lot. Reads here does it worth the price or should I get the Bluesound ?

Wicky

As others have noted I think you would struggle to notice a difference between 16/44 and 24/44-192 sources. A separate DAC will provide better performance via Sonos' TOSLINK out, but again, I doubt there will be an audible difference for you.

As per my previous post, what other criteria do you have other than being bale to player higher-res content?

Last edited:

ferdybossy

As others have noted I think you would struggle to notice a difference between 16/44 and 24/44-192 sources. A separate DAC will provide better performance via Sonos' TOSLINK out, but again, I doubt there will be an audible difference for you.

As per my pervious post, what other criteria do you have other than being bale to player higher-res content?
16 bit 44kHz is sufficient. Sony/Philips also knew that because the dynamics of -96dB ~ 0dB is enough. But it is easier to edit in Pro-Tools if both values are larger. Although there is a but, how good is the person behind the mixing desk and arrangement of microphones. Keep repeating, still had the right to listen through Spotify for 2 months, but when I listened through Apple it became clear to me what compression does to playback. It's not comparable.

OP
T

TheSeaKodiak

As per my pervious post, what other criteria do you have other than being bale to player higher-res content?

16 bit 44kHz is sufficient. Sony/Philips also knew that because the dynamics of -96dB ~ 0dB is enough. But it is easier to edit in Pro-Tools if both values are larger. Although there is a but, how good is the person behind the mixing desk and arrangement of microphones. Keep repeating, still had the right to listen through Spotify for 2 months, but when I listened through Apple it became clear to me what compression does to playback. It's not comparable.
I confess : I'm using Spotify premium . Would you suggest that I subscribe to Apple Music ?

jae

Major Contributor
In most cases, I would say using 16+/44.1 is even preferred over higher sample rates for a number of practical reasons depending on other electronics in your system, but that is a more complicated topic. As others have stated, the spatial perception of sound or other feelings like definition and depth are provided by the content of the music itself and your speakers/room interaction, not a dac or these other electronics. Around here, "neutral/flat" is generally considered good because it is truer to the source, but if you don't like that sound, it feels "off" or you're expecting something else, this is tackled in other ways with DSP/EQ, changing your speakers, adding subwoofers, or changing/modifying things like your room or listening distances. The only way to really know for sure in some meaningful way is doing some kind of measurements of your system with a calibrated microphone ($80) and then changing certain aspects of your system or room with a goal in mind, for example to either be more objectively neutral or more subjectively better sounding to your tastes (perhaps you enjoy a warmer sound with more bass than "neutral"). The easiest way you can do is is playing around with EQ, which is free. Buying a better dac for HiRes content will certainly not change your acoustic experience in any meaningful way, I can assure you, but it is still nice to have one if you have money burning a hole in your pocket (money better spent upgrading things like speakers, subwoofers, room treatments etc..).

ferdybossy

I confess : I'm using Spotify premium . Would you suggest that I subscribe to Apple Music ?
Spotify has the best app and still the biggest choice. But the sound quality is not comparable. If you can't hear the difference, Spotify is the way to go. But with my installation it is and remains Apple.

Reactions: ENG

ferdybossy

In most cases, I would say using 16+/44.1 is even preferred over higher sample rates for a number of practical reasons depending on other electronics in your system, but that is a more complicated topic. As others have stated, the spatial perception of sound or other feelings like definition and depth are provided by the content of the music itself and your speakers/room interaction, not a dac or these other electronics. Around here, "neutral/flat" is generally considered good because it is truer to the source, but if you don't like that sound, it feels "off" or you're expecting something else, this is tackled in other ways with DSP/EQ, changing your speakers, adding subwoofers, or changing/modifying things like your room or listening distances. The only way to really know for sure in some meaningful way is doing some kind of measurements of your system with a calibrated microphone ($80) and then changing certain aspects of your system or room with a goal in mind, for example to either be more objectively neutral or more subjectively better sounding to your tastes (perhaps you enjoy a warmer sound with more bass than "neutral"). The easiest way you can do is is playing around with EQ, which is free. Buying a better dac for HiRes content will certainly not change your acoustic experience in any meaningful way, I can assure you, but it is still nice to have one if you have money burning a hole in your pocket (money better spent upgrading things like speakers, subwoofers, room treatments etc..).
Have heard many instruments at home, musicians came to rehearse here. No, not with amplifier. But also know that the Bösendorfer concert grand piano sounds better when it is properly recorded via the installation than when the same work is played when this grand piano is in the room. I like uncolored sound reproduction.

OP
T

TheSeaKodiak

Brilliant reply. Thank you Jae. You summed everything I needed to know.

DevBanks69

So if you have a good amp that's capable of DLNA, an mConnect or AirMusic app over AirPlay would pretty much render these streamers useless?

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So if you have a good amp that's capable of DLNA, an mConnect or AirMusic app over AirPlay would pretty much render these streamers useless?
Yes, if you have an AVR or amp that supports those protocols. DLNA can be unpredictable when it comes to gapless support. Not completely sure, but I think AirPlay fares better in that regard. Same with Chromecast built-in.

Top Bottom