• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need a suggestion about two I-amplifiers

Guilherme

Hello,
I have a Pioneer Stereo Amplifier SA-7100 and a friend has a Yamaha A-5. Once my pioneer has two phono inputs, that friend would be keen to exchange his with mine.
Well, actually I only play through auxiliar, from a DAC, to my 2 Pioneer's speakers (CS88A).
My only concern is sound quality. In terms of audio fidelity, I think. Which of those two do you think would serve me better?

Here goes links on hifi engine for pioneer's one and audio database for yamaha's one about the two. It seems to be a huge difference in terms of THD and the yamaha wins by far. About it I do not know if there's something miswrited in hifiengine or audiodatabase or so.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sa-7100.shtml ,
https://audio-database.com/YAMAHA/amp/a-5-e.html

thanks!

OP
G

Guilherme

Wow! Yours is a classic from 74 (have you ever had it serviced?), the Yamaha not so nice!

what you mean by "serviced"? someone to fix a problem? or some piece replaced? several times got to go to fix, but I think all inside it is original. I got it from my grandfather and me myself sent it some times to someone because of a problem in the right channel. he has some noise on phonos, thing I would fix when (if) I get a turntable.
visually I do not like the yamahas one as I like pioneers.

Djsedaw

what you mean by "serviced"? someone to fix a problem? or some piece replaced? several times got to go to fix, but I think all inside it is original. I got it from my grandfather and me myself sent it some times to someone because of a problem in the right channel. he has some noise on phonos, thing I would fix when (if) I get a turntable.
visually I do not like the yamahas one as I like pioneers.

I just thought that since its quite old some of the caps might be out of spec and need replacing, nice old amp though!

Top Bottom