• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need a subwoofer - narrowed it down to four so far...

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure if you're asking about the speaker choice or the layout choice so here's the answer to both: I was redoing a 5.1 setup having decided that I no longer wanted surrounds because of the hassle of running cables. I move too much so until I have a dedicated room I'm not bothering with rears.

As for the speakers, it seemed when I researched that using a single R3 as a center channel was better quality than using the R2c for less money. It just performs better overall, so I split the purchase of a pair with another forum member and that's what we did.

These are unconventional, but well thought out choices IMO. If you really miss the surrounds, grab some small cheap whatever speakers and you'll be just fine.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also have 2 SVS SB-2000s in my home theater setup and they are great. I've had them for 4 or 5 years now and have been very reliable. Since you already have an AVR with bass management and room correction I would see if you can get a model without the built in DSP to save some money.

OP
phrwn

phrwn

These are unconventional, but well thought out choices IMO. If you really miss the surrounds, grab some small cheap whatever speakers and you'll be just fine.
I don't miss the surrounds at all. I do miss the sub bass.

OP
phrwn

phrwn

I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum - should be in speakers. Sorry.
As for the point of it, I think the PSA S2410 is top of my shortlist at the moment.

Top Bottom