• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need a Media Server, like Plex but even more idiot proof. Suggestions?

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is for a rig in my AirBnb garage loft. Currently I have an old mini PC running latest Ubuntu with Plex. Unfortunately Plex desktop needs a command line task before it'll boot into fullscreen desktop. This allows guests to get into the other programs easily, run Firefox, etc though it is a managed user account so they can't do any damage. The problem is they leave Plex, can't find there way back to it and then just start exploring a bare bones Linux box.

I have attached USB HD storage for all the music, movie, shows, and concert media and I'd like to limit it to just that. I have a Chromecast hooked to the TV as well so they can stream media off their own devices so I'd rather not have the PC on the network at all unless I'm updating things. The only internet available here is with 4G hotspots and ONLY with AT&T so data is a precious commodity and we pay dearly for it.

I'd prefer it to be a contained OS installed on the PC with no other easy access to other apps etc, looks like Kodi can do this. A slick GUI is preferred of course. Idiot proof mandatory - I had a couple in the 70's here a couple days ago, the poor guy made an absolute mess between TV and computer settings.

Suggestions would be much appreciated!

GradyBeach247

We use a Roku Ultra attached to an open HDMI port on the living room television and run Plex on it. My wife and children find it easy to use and have had very few issues with the set-up, plus I also have a Chromecast plug in to a second HDMI port on the set for streaming from my phone. Easy to set up and not expensive

OP
DWPress

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestion! I use an AppleTV in my house to connect to my personal Plex server so this is a great option indeed. Looks like the base model Roku Express will handle Plex from the AirBnb PC the same way.

Question then: Can you add only the Plex app as a source? I wouldn't want the Roku channel to be omnipresent or any of the other Roku proprietary internet streaming options to be chipping away at my data. I've already limited bandwidth on that access point, some guests definitely use more than others....

boswell

If you don't have/want internet access or/and don't have wired/wireless network between media files and TV then a powered USB hub can connect the chromecast and the HD storage. This has been known to work as long as the hub provided the required power to both as well as USB connectivity. The chromecast "should" be able to access the HD storage.

Steve_NZ

OSMC Vero 4K+ would be a good choice. It’s Kodi based with excellent support. I use it alongside Plex because the Plex software on our TV won’t work when the internet goes down and also in our home theatre because lip sync works perfectly compared to Plex on an Apple TV.

Top Bottom