• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need a little help with streaming

OP
S
So I've gone down the 'using a phone as a streamer' route, it works perfectly well with the 2 phones I have (Sony Xperia Z2 & XA Ultra). I just plugged it in and off it went. Awesome.

Not so awesome is that it doesn't sound as good as when I use a direct connection to the DAC from the Media Server, it doesn't have the same 'fullness' to it and isn't at the same volume, it's much lower.

Is there any settings that I need to change in BubbleUPNP or JRiver to bring it up to par like the PC/DAC combo?

TA!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
So I've gone down the 'using a phone as a streamer' route, it works perfectly well with the 2 phones I have (Sony Xperia Z2 & XA Ultra). I just plugged it in and off it went. Awesome.

Not so awesome is that it doesn't sound as good as when I use a direct connection to the DAC from the Media Server, it doesn't have the same 'fullness' to it and isn't at the same volume, it's much lower.

Is there any settings that I need to change in BubbleUPNP or JRiver to bring it up to par like the PC/DAC combo?

TA!
Is this using the headphone out to the amp, or digital via USB to the DAC?

OP
S
Is this using the headphone out to the amp, or digital via USB to the DAC?

Via the USB output to the DAC.

Ok, so the Z2 has a 192Khz output and the XA Ultra has a 48Khz output when using the 'resample to native samplerate', the only thing is, is that the DAC just sees that samplerate and doesn't change whether it's a 44.1, 92 or any other sample rate. Turning the option off brings everything down to 16 bit and has definitely a lower quality to the sound.

Looks like I'll just keep the native samplerate on and run everything like that for now using the Z2 as it's higher.

p.s. Even DSD's run at the same sample rate specified by the phones.

BillG

Major Contributor
Via the USB output to the DAC.

Are you sure the volume on the phone is turned all the way up?

I'd try the analog output instead, if I still wasn't satisfied with USB, as it's surprisingly good on smartphones usually. Other than that, I'd make sure all the audio enhancements on the phone were turned off (or on if you like them) - Sony has a habit of deeply embedding these, and it may require going into Settings to disable them.

You could always use the audiophile practice of "burn in", which is essentially just letting your brain get used to it so as to remove any biases... ;)

OP
S
Are you sure the volume on the phone is turned all the way up?

I'd try the analog output instead, if I still wasn't satisfied with USB, as it's surprisingly good on smartphones usually. Other than that, I'd make sure all the audio enhancements on the phone were turned off (or on if you like them) - Sony has a habit of deeply embedding these, and it may require going into Settings to disable them.

You could always use the audiophile practice of "burn in", which is essentially just letting your brain get used to it so as to remove any biases... ;)

Yep, volume all the way up on the phone. One thing though, if I'm using the phone the max volume is 15, if I use the PC the max volume is 100. Not sure if this is relevant. All audio enhancements are off.

He he if only mate, there's definitely a difference in the sound!

The limit will be what your DAC can handle. piCorePlayer supports DSD.https://www.picoreplayer.org/

What I'm unsure about is that is the app using the DAC from the phone or the DAC it's plugged into? I'm thinking that it's using the phone as when I change the settings in the phone it shows on the 'main DACs' display.

Regarding the Z2's audio subsystem - I'm not sure this applies when using its USB output:

https://gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z2-review-1078p7.php
I'm pretty sure that's using the analogue (headphone) out as the volume was pretty low when using headphones with it.

BillG

Major Contributor
What I'm unsure about is that is the app using the DAC from the phone or the DAC it's plugged into? I'm thinking that it's using the phone as when I change the settings in the phone it shows on the 'main DACs' display.

That I can't help you with as I've never actually tried USB Audio from any of my mobiles into an external DAC. I'm sure someone who has will chime in shortly, though... :cool:

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Yep, volume all the way up on the phone. One thing though, if I'm using the phone the max volume is 15, if I use the PC the max volume is 100.
Well, for best effect, you obviously need one that goes up to 11.
Sorry, couldn’t resist.

OP
S
Now that I have the Xperia Z2 setup I've bought a magnetic charging dock so it frees up the USB port on the phone.

My plan is to leave the phone permanently in the dock and on charge. Will this cause any issues? I'm not that bothered about the lessening the battery life (I had the battery swapped over last year for a fiver) but will there be a chance of any fire related stuff by leaving it constantly in the dock?

Top Bottom