• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need a little help with streaming

Hello all,

It's been a while!

As the Mrs is getting a little pissed off at me for having the media server on the TV stand (running via USB into the DAC), she wants it moving to elsewhere around the house. Not a problem but my audio equipment will be staying next to the TV and I need something that will stream wirelessly into the DAC. The only option I can see right now is to replace the DAC (SMSL M8) with something like a ChromeCast Audio, but I'd rather keep the M8 as it plays DSD too.

I can't have any wires I'm afraid, I like my balls where they are.

Any help please?

Sel

yigitboy

Hi toprak :)

Cheapest way is a raspberry pi. I recommend digione card which adds on the raspi for spdif connection to external dac.

OP
S
Merhaba kardes :p

So what is the max bitrate I can use? Can I still run my DSD's through with no loss?

PS, do you live in Turkey?

EDIT: Just checked the Digione card and that's nearly 800 Turkish Lira (150 USD)! Plus the rest of the bits to buy too.
I may have to buy a streaming pre-amp and have done with it.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Nice one, will check this out. Can I use this wireless?
Certainly. That's what I do. Running OSMC or Volumio, I use UPnP/DLNA to play music from our NAS. RPi goes to Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital over USB (I also have a HiFiBerry card in the RPi, bought with it as a bundle with the case). I can also use AirPlay from Mac or iPhone into the RPi.

OP
S
Certainly. That's what I do. Running OSMC or Volumio, I use UPnP/DLNA to play music from our NAS. RPi goes to Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital over USB (I also have a HiFiBerry card in the RPi, bought with it as a bundle with the case). I can also use AirPlay from Mac or iPhone into the RPi.

Ah Wicked, I'll look into this and see if I can get my head around it.

I've also found some wifi to USB dongle things that basically extend the USB signal via WIFI, has anyone tried one?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
+1 For Allo Digione. Had mine for several months and has run flawlessly since. I have it hardwired for internet and Coax out to Topping DX3PRO, although it will also handle wifi in for streaming, and as mentioned, USB out to DAC.
I started w/ preloaded Volumio and it worked fine, but ended up upgrading the OS on the Pi to use it as a Roon endpoint.
Pro Tip - Don't try Roon unless you are prepared to buy it, cause it makes everything else look pathetic by comparison.

OP
S
+1 For Allo Digione. Had mine for several months and has run flawlessly since. I have it hardwired for internet and Coax out to Topping DX3PRO, although it will also handle wifi in for streaming, and as mentioned, USB out to DAC.
I started w/ preloaded Volumio and it worked fine, but ended up upgrading the OS on the Pi to use it as a Roon endpoint.
Pro Tip - Don't try Roon unless you are prepared to buy it, cause it makes everything else look pathetic by comparison.

Thanks a lot!

I have been looking at Roon for a while, I'm currently using JRiver which is pretty neat, but it doesn't have a 'Jukebox' mode to add a song into a playlist unless I specify that song to do so. Even the BubbleUpnp app on my phone doesn't have the feature. Admittedly Roon does look bloody fantastic!

yigitboy

Thanks a lot!

I have been looking at Roon for a while, I'm currently using JRiver which is pretty neat, but it doesn't have a 'Jukebox' mode to add a song into a playlist unless I specify that song to do so. Even the BubbleUpnp app on my phone doesn't have the feature. Admittedly Roon does look bloody fantastic!
Roon is fantastic for sure.

OP
S
If you're not very techie, feel free to ask anything!

I'm into my tech but this is a new thing for me so I'll read up about it more, if I'm stuck I'll definitely give you a shout.
Nice one for the offer mate.

Also, it's cool to see someone living so close to where I lived in the UK (Leicester) :)

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
If you want to stream lossless over Wifi, have a look at UPnp/DLNA
This is the open standard streaming audio protocol.

I may have to buy a streaming pre-amp
Perfectly possible, a lot of today's receivers do sport UPnP/DLNA

You might even plug an Android phone into your DAC using USB and stream with e.q. BubbleUpnp, Foobar Mobile, etc
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Android/Android_USB.htm

OP
S
If you want to stream lossless over Wifi, have a look at UPnp/DLNA
This is the open standard streaming audio protocol.

Perfectly possible, a lot of today's receivers do sport UPnP/DLNA

You might even plug an Android phone into your DAC using USB and stream with e.q. BubbleUpnp, Foobar Mobile, etc
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Android/Android_USB.htm

I have a couple of older Sony XPeria phones laying about so I will give this one a go later tonight, thank you for the info!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I'm into my tech but this is a new thing for me so I'll read up about it more, if I'm stuck I'll definitely give you a shout.
Nice one for the offer mate.

Also, it's cool to see someone living so close to where I lived in the UK (Leicester) :)
Yes, not far away. We also have a member at Milton Keynes.

Top Bottom