• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need a bang for the buck Amplifier to pair with a Topping D10

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Topping D10 does such a good job as a budget DAC, are their any amplifiers that are similar bang for the buck performers?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Power amp or head amp?

And what transducers will you be using it with?

OP
R

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Power amp or head amp?

And what transducers will you be using it with?

Headphone amp, sorry, I should have been more clear.

I generally like IEMs of the sensitive kind, so would also be looking to have as low output impedance as possible.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably an Objective2 with the low gain set to 1x then. It's dead black even with my 119dB/mW SE530s and output impedance is less then 1 ohm.

Can't really thing of anything as good for IEMs anywhere close for the price.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monoprice Liquid Spark is worth shortlisting.

For full sizes I'd definitely say to wait on Amir's review of the Liquid Spark, but for IEMs it may not be a s solid. Based on atomicbob's measurements on SBAF the Spark isn't as quiet as the O2.

It's low gain is only 3dB though, which is nice for this application.

Timbo2

Probably an Objective2 with the low gain set to 1x then. It's dead black even with my 119dB/mW SE530s and output impedance is less then 1 ohm.

Can't really thing of anything as good for IEMs anywhere close for the price.

My issue with the O2 is that even with 1x gain and the D10 it is almost too loud on my Shure 535s. On hot recordings I am just able to get the volume knob loud enough to get past where the channel imbalance is noticeable.

But I still recommend it. And they look good together!

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My issue with the O2 is that even with 1x gain and the D10 it is almost too loud on my Shure 535s. On hot recordings I am just able to get the volume knob loud enough to get past where the channel imbalance is noticeable.

That's more of a problem with tiny pots in general. Mine's that way too, but I've never heard anything better at that size. Something with a full size Alps unit or a volume control IC would be be an improvement but more money as well.

Have you had better luck with tracking on something else?

Timbo2

That's more of a problem with tiny pots in general. Mine's that way too, but I've never heard anything better at that size. Something with a full size Alps unit or a volume control IC would be be an improvement but more money as well.

Have you had better luck with tracking on something else?

I use the IFI iEMatch if I want to get around the imbalance. It has two settings for attenuation. At least with my Shures I subjectively feel like the higher attenuation gives a "fuller sound". Problem is if I do that I have to use AC as it will clip at the higher (attenuated) volume levels.

Interestingly enough on low gain and lower attenuation it puts the volume control right at 50% or so and on high gain with high attenuation it also puts the volume right around 50% or so when I'm listening.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the IFI iEMatch if I want to get around the imbalance.

That should add more versatility to any amp.

iEMatch plus something a little than the O2 stronger like the Liquid Spark may be good if he wants to future proof against HiFiMan planars or something.

I've also heard Topping is working on an A50 headamp with lower output impedance for release at the end of the year. Could be worth waiting for.

Jorj

Forum Donor
Looks like that Massdrop THX amp is the go-ahead winner. I intend to pair one with my D10. Right now my Topping D10 is feeding analog into an Element, but I think that's gonna change.

Top Bottom