• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need 3 x DACs and cheapish

SiW

Working on a car install which will use iPhone as the source, Topping D10 to take usb input and give digital out, then into a miniDSP nanoDIGI.

Instead of the D10 I can use a HiFiMe Sabre ESS9018.

After this I’ll need 3 x DACs from the NanoDIGI to the amp (Genesis 5 Limited).

Currently I’m planning to use CYP au-d3-192 DACs (same as the Lindy DAC Pro) and stacking them. They use the TI PCM5101 DAC chip in them I understand.

Is the PCM5101 a ‘good’ DAC chip?

What other DAC options are there which take a coax spdif input and aren’t too expensive?

The JustBoom DAC looks suitable but is its DAC chip (PCM 5102A) any better than what I already have?

Ideally I would like a master clock to run all 3 DACs but not seen anything with that option anywhere.

From a desktop test using RHA lower mid range buds off a Fiio A3, I couldn’t tell much difference between running from the D10 directly to the amp or digitally through the CYP DAC. Was far from a perfect test though!

I might be over thinking it and I’m fine with my plans but interested in other views.

Cheers,

Simon

OP
S

SiW

@ Grave - the HiFiMe is a backup option and only for usb to optical output. As a usb to headphone amp I agre it isn’t great.

The D10 is the plan A :)

OP
S

SiW

khadas tone board?

Had looked at it but was $300 for all 3 :(

I’m being cheap as I got two of the CYP units from eBay at crazy low prices - still need one more.

I already have the other bits but need to decide on which DAC to use.

Trying not to buy just based on chip installed but on actual performance which has been measured.

Top Bottom