• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nectar Hive Review (Electrostatic Headphones)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 56 46.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 9.9%

• Total voters

rtg97229

This is kind of where things start getting out of control with this kind of thing on forums. My headphones don't need to be paired with any specific amps any more than any other electrostatic headphone. They will work with pretty much any Pro-Bias estat amp. I even use the SRM1MK2 daily which is an older version of SRM313. I also have a very costly KGSSHV I built myself which gives me much better performance, this is totally normal and applies to any headphone/amp/combo. I've also had many many customers use my HPs with vintage $300-$500 amps and they love it. I honestly don't know how to gauge what Amir wrote when he says "dirty and congested" etc.. I've never heard that from ANYONE. So you're really just taking his word on something subjective. His objective measurements show my distortion numbers were to the floor.. He's doing stuff with EQ then cranking it up to when the amp clips... I've never had anyone report that as an issue to me. And has a youtube video showing some literature saying that 113dBSPL for a piano is normal and won't blow your ears out. I've blasted music on my rig to very loud levels and it doesn't push above 96dBSPL peaks, but I admit I don't have the same expensive GRAS rig he has. Guys, if my headphones sucked and only worked with like 1 amp, I would have given up a long time ago, and not spend HOURS and HOURS building headphones by hand in my spare time. I also understand that electrostatics is a cumbersome technology, for every electrostatic headphone - not just mine! And why is mine the only one being torn apart here?

I have mixed feeling about this forum because I believe that Amir started this forum in good faith believing that his measurements would cut through the snake oil that is prevalent in the audio world. This is in my view a wonderful goal. The problem arises when his measurements diverge from that of other measurements taken. I came here about 5 years ago to ask Amir some questions to see if the source of 1 of those divergences could be better understood. Unfortunately for whatever reason Amir did not like being questioned so to this day I have no idea why he sometimes gets results that differ from those posted in other reviews and by the manufacture. I don't know if he sometimes gets a slightly damaged unit, if the manufacturer sends their best engineering unit to reviewers to measure not one from actual production, if their are differences in test setup, or some other explanation. I just know that if my test lab was sending out data that did not match up with what other labs are measuring I would be very curious and be asking a lot of questions. My suggestion to Amir is the same as 5 years ago, the more pictures and documentation the better. As for the data taken on Nectarsoundnet's headphone; one might want to look at the data in the STAX SR-009S review side by side and come to their own conclusions.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have mixed feeling about this forum because I believe that Amir started this forum in good faith believing that his measurements would cut through the snake oil that is prevalent in the audio world. This is in my view a wonderful goal. The problem arises when his measurements diverge from that of other measurements taken. I came here about 5 years ago to ask Amir some questions to see if the source of 1 of those divergences could be better understood. Unfortunately for whatever reason Amir did not like being questioned so to this day I have no idea why he sometimes gets results that differ from those posted in other reviews and by the manufacture. I don't know if he sometimes gets a slightly damaged unit, if the manufacturer sends their best engineering unit to reviewers to measure not one from actual production, if their are differences in test setup, or some other explanation. I just know that if my test lab was sending out data that did not match up with what other labs are measuring I would be very curious and be asking a lot of questions. My suggestion to Amir is the same as 5 years ago, the more pictures and documentation the better. As for the data taken on Nectarsoundnet's headphone; one might want to look at the data in the STAX SR-009S review side by side and come to their own conclusions.
If you are going to toss around @amirm name then at least provide links and use his proper name.

Top Bottom