• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neat optical illusion

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
frontiers-human-neuroscience-expanding-hole-illusion.jpg

Explanation of this relatively new optical illusion.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I like this one:
View attachment 210516

Put your mouse cursor on an edge just to see they don't move, get bigger or even shift.
This one isn’t subtle for me, but the mechanism (out of phase inner and outer borders) is straightforward. It’s a decent analogy for phase effects used to enhance stereo image (ironically, people like to use it to ague the opposite, not knowing how it works).

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
trippyredballs.gif

I've always liked this one. Focus on the plus sign in the middle. See that rotating green dot. Well there is no green dot. They just blank out the pink one leaving the gray background. For a moment you eye sees green.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
trippyredballs.gif

I've always liked this one. Focus on the plus sign in the middle. See that rotating green dot. Well there is no green dot. They just blank out the pink one leaving the gray background. For a moment you eye sees green.
Negative colour afterimage (explained by opponent process theory) is also straightforward. The first one is your best so far (even if it doesn't work for everyone).

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
frontiers-human-neuroscience-expanding-hole-illusion.jpg

Explanation of this relatively new optical illusion.
Does not work on me, I wonder why.
There is a whole site of these.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Oh wow, that is really messed up. ;)

I can never trust my eyes again.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Top Bottom