• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neat acoustics iota speakers. Are they tiny killers or just tiny?

OP
C

Charliecj

I hear ya. But the reviews on them are fairly amazing. The Absolute Sound, What Hifi, Novo Audio and others rave about their musicality and soundstage. There is only one dealer in the States and I am getting close to taking the plunge. I can only fit an under ten inch speaker in my living room and I think I finally found the best. But was hoping someone on this forum has actually heard them or measured them.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Absolute Sound, What Hifi, Novo Audio and others rave about their musicality and soundstage.
These words usually ring alarm bells in this forum and that not without a good reason. Better listen them yourself and only trust measurements and maximally reviews from people you really know and can correlate to your own experiences.

Eurasian

Forum Donor
For that money, I don't think you can beat the KH80DSP. I love my pair!

sailor2005

I hear ya. But the reviews on them are fairly amazing. The Absolute Sound, What Hifi, Novo Audio and others rave about their musicality and soundstage. There is only one dealer in the States and I am getting close to taking the plunge. I can only fit an under ten inch speaker in my living room and I think I finally found the best. But was hoping someone on this forum has actually heard them or measured them.
Only an under 10in speaker? Why? if I may ask...

Brab

There are cheap tiny bluetooth speakers that have better spins than that...

Unlike any who have posted so far, I have heard these speakers at a Toronto show, filling a very large showroom with respectable sound, not remotely like a tiny bluetooth speaker. Since I listened briefly and casually, this is not a recommendation; rather a caution not to rubbish a somewhat unconventional speaker based on conventional measurements.

Last edited:
OP
C

Charliecj

Unlike any who have posted so far, I have heard these speakers at a Toronto show, filling a very large showroom with respectable sound, not remotely like a tiny bluetooth speaker. Since I listened briefly and casually, this is not a recommendation; rather a caution not to rubbish a somewhat unconventional speaker based on conventional measurements.
Thank you for reporting on your brief experience with them. In my search for the worlds best tiny bookshelf speaker, I think these might be it. I’m hoping the one US dealer has a return policy just in case?
Only an under 10in speaker? Why? if I may ask...
Wife controls living room dynamics. But I do have a second room that I control with another stereo.

OP
C

Charliecj

These words usually ring alarm bells in this forum and that not without a good reason. Better listen them yourself and only trust measurements and maximally reviews from people you really know and can correlate to your own experiences.
I’m hoping the one U S dealer has a return policy. Will know tomorrow.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those look nice but I already have the new Bluesound Powermide amp so I need passive speakers.

I think you can use an active speaker with the blue sound (I do). I think you’d really be limiting yourself by looking only at passives. Actives usually beat passives(in terms of sound quality) at a given price. These might be pretty decent speakers, but the KH80 is objectively a much better speaker.

OP
C

Charliecj

I think you can use an active speaker with the blue sound (I do). I think you’d really be limiting yourself by looking only at passives. Actives usually beat passives(in terms of sound quality) at a given price. These might be pretty decent speakers, but the KH80 is objectively a much better speaker.
Multiple reviewers and You tubers rave about the iotas. I’m willing to pay the ten percent restocking fee to find out if the hype is real. Will these speakers defy the laws of physics?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neat is one of the worst culprits of the whole cult of personality surrounding British cottage industry speaker design. Complete contempt for evidence-based engineering, egged on by their anti-intellectual followers who make a mockery of sound reproduction just so they can feel special.

You will find little love or apologism for speakers of this sort round here.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard those speakers at the Toronto Audio Fest show: they were my "worst speaker experience at the show."

I was interested in one room but an eager fellow beckoned me in to the Neat room to hear these tiny "giant killers" that "everyone was raving about."

What I heard was the epitome of thin, anti-septic, mechanical, sound. Super spacious, but basically everything I find "wrong" in a speaker.

Could they sound better? I guess. But my encounter was a major turn-off.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"But the reviews on them are fairly amazing."

"The Absolute Sound, What Hifi, Novo Audio and others"

"Multiple reviewers and You tubers rave about the iotas"

@Charliecj I sincerely hope that they meet your expectations.

OP
C

Charliecj

Neat is one of the worst culprits of the whole cult of personality surrounding British cottage industry speaker design. Complete contempt for evidence-based engineering, egged on by their anti-intellectual followers who make a mockery of sound reproduction just so they can feel special.

You will find little love or apologism for speakers of this sort round here.
Hey I am just seeking the truth. I haven’t ordered them yet.

OP
C

Charliecj

I heard those speakers at the Toronto Audio Fest show: they were my "worst speaker experience at the show."

I was interested in one room but an eager fellow beckoned me in to the Neat room to hear these tiny "giant killers" that "everyone was raving about."

What I heard was the epitome of thin, anti-septic, mechanical, sound. Super spacious, but basically everything I find "wrong" in a speaker.

Could they sound better? I guess. But my encounter was a major turn-off.
That would be horrible! If I order them and hear that. Hmmmmm

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That would be horrible! If I order them and hear that. Hmmmmm
Iv had small neat speakers , great for listening to 1950s jazz records at 50db and listening to bbc radio 4 .

I'd not touch them with a bargepole.

Top Bottom