• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nearfield setup room mode?

jaydillyo

First timer poster, but I've been lurking for a while.

I recently picked up some KEF Q150s for my desktop. Mac mini -> MOTU M2 -> Aiyima 07 -> KEF Q150

When I first set things up my desk was pushed right up against the wall. Everything was boomy and out of control, so I pulled my desk out as far as I can. The Q150s are now about 15 inches from the rear wall. There (obviously) was a huge improvement. However, there is still an issue where notes around 160 Hz (I checked with REW sine wave generator) are much louder than they should be. Is this still due to being too close to the rear wall? Or it more likely caused by a room mode?

The room is about 12 x 16 in a finished attic with a gable roof. My desk is centered along the 12 foot wall. I am within the return period so I can return the Q150s and get something front ported if that would help. As far as rearranging the room, I don't have a lot of leeway. I can move the desk left and right if necessary so it isn't centered.

Does anybody have advice for addressing this? Generally things sounds pretty good when I'm listening except for this issue. It's really obnoxious. To me notes at 160Hz sounds twice as loud as they should.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Are they sitting on your desktop?, if so get them raised higher so the tweeter is approximately ear height as you’ll be experiencing first reflections from your desk , I use IsoAcoustics iso-155 stands to raise my Rokit 7’s from the desktop.

Top Bottom