• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nearfield satellites recommendation for 5.1 system

SpinifexV

Hey everyone,

I have a 5.1 system with Kef Q950 fronts, Q650C center, Svs PB2000 pro sub and Q150 satellites. Due to the configuration of our room, the Q150 end up sitting very close to our heads (1 meter) and I am unhappy in the results: the sound is very focused, making it distracting, and a bit brighter than neutral. I ended up turning them off axis to reduce those issues, but I am wondering if other speakers would be better for such nearfield work.

A quick look around and I have spotted the Polk ES10-15-20, or the Whaferdale Diamond 12.0 or 12.1. Any experience with these speakers for nearfield use? Or a better recommendation?

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Surrounds simply aren't meant to be located so close to the listener. Try reducing the output above 2000Hz, and if that doesn't help, different speakers won't either.

3125b

Major Contributor
At least the Q150 are a point source, other speakers would probably only make it worse. Move them somewhere else.

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The best option is to use line array speaker like the jbl cbt 70j-1. They provide 3dB less attenuation per distance which is very beneficial.

Another option is to use a dipole speaker and play around with the null by turning the speaker. This will decrease the amount of direct sound at the listening position and might create a better result.

IMHO all other options are only recommended with changing the placement of the speakers.

Top Bottom