• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nearfield desktop setup: Elac UB52 vs Wharfedale 12.0 vs Wharfedale 12.1 or something else?

robot34

As you might have guessed, location is Europe. Otherwise I'd just get jbl studio 530 or 130.

There doesn't seem to be much other than those 3 options.. well elac 5.2 and 6.2 but those go for over 200 euros, while ub52 goes down to 200-300 euros so I don't see the value in them. I've heard mixed reviews about all of them though, from fatigue due to aluminum drivers to resonance and cheap vinyl.

Also, any stores with fair prices in Europe? Too bad thomann only has active speakers.

OP
R

robot34

Also how do the active monitors in this range compare to those? Are the passive monitors I mentioned way better than active monitors like JBL305 or kali lp6v2?

REK2575

I'm using the Wharfedale Diamond 12.0s for my near-field desktop setup, and I can tell you, I love them. My desk is 5'x3', so a decent amount of space, but anything larger than the 12.0s would be too large (else I would have certainly looked at the 12.1s).

I bought the 12.0s to replace a pair of PSB PA3s that I used for a year. I never loved the PA3s. Their main virtue, sad to say, was their small size. They were thin and grating in higher registers, seemed to distort easily at high volume, and the build quality overall was very unimpressive for $300 speakers.

The Wharfedales are a *big* improvement in sound and build quality. I would never go back to the PA3s having used these for a few months. Streaming Qobuz, I just am really impressed by what these small speakers can do.

My desktop setup just for reference: PC -[USB]-> Sabaj D5 hp amp/DAC -[XLR]-> SMSL AO200 amp --> Diamond 12.0s.

OP
R

robot34

I'm using the Wharfedale Diamond 12.0s for my near-field desktop setup, and I can tell you, I love them. My desk is 5'x3', so a decent amount of space, but anything larger than the 12.0s would be too large (else I would have certainly looked at the 12.1s).

I bought the 12.0s to replace a pair of PSB PA3s that I used for a year. I never loved the PA3s. Their main virtue, sad to say, was their small size. They were thin and grating in higher registers, seemed to distort easily at high volume, and the build quality overall was very unimpressive for $300 speakers.

The Wharfedales are a *big* improvement in sound and build quality. I would never go back to the PA3s having used these for a few months. Streaming Qobuz, I just am really impressed by what these small speakers can do.

My desktop setup just for reference: PC -[USB]-> Sabaj D5 hp amp/DAC -[XLR]-> SMSL AO200 amp --> Diamond 12.0s.
Would you say they lack bass or is it not a big deal?

E-Lint

I ordered and have been listening to the UB52's for a little over a month. I had just about given up on them when they finally loosened up and they're sounding gorgeous. In the meantime I had ordered the tri-amped Navis powered version with three distributed internal amps providing 300 watts per speaker. Since everything I read on the Elac said it needs POWAH my thought was I'd see if Andrew Jones designs amplifiers as well as he does speakers. I'll report back with some sort of comparison. But I must say the UB52's are really sounding great, detailed but not tiring, good but not great bass *thump* and amazing imaging as good or better than anything I've ever heard. Better with a sub? Yes but not for near field in your use case, it isn't needed. The sweet spot is rather small but if you can do triangle placement on your desk or area they sound like good headphones. I hope they open up for you with time.

REK2575

Would you say they lack bass or is it not a big deal?

I guess I'd say that the 12.0s have solid bass for their size. Obviously the 12.1 and 12.2s are going to give you more bass, having larger woofers. I was a little skeptical of the 4" woofer before I purchased, but everything about this little speaker has surprised me in a good way. I really enjoy them as desktop speakers. I've tried other small speakers like the PSBs and cheaper options like Edifier and Jamo (active monitors) -- none of them came close to he 12.0s. They were tolerable at best. Every time I sit at my desk, I look forward to listening to the 12.0s -- they are much more than tolerable, but a pleasure.

OP
R

robot34

I guess I'd say that the 12.0s have solid bass for their size. Obviously the 12.1 and 12.2s are going to give you more bass, having larger woofers. I was a little skeptical of the 4" woofer before I purchased, but everything about this little speaker has surprised me in a good way. I really enjoy them as desktop speakers. I've tried other small speakers like the PSBs and cheaper options like Edifier and Jamo (active monitors) -- none of them came close to he 12.0s. They were tolerable at best. Every time I sit at my desk, I look forward to listening to the 12.0s -- they are much more than tolerable, but a pleasure.
Good to hear! I also found 11.0 for the same price, so now trying to decide between the two.

OP
R

robot34

I ordered and have been listening to the UB52's for a little over a month. I had just about given up on them when they finally loosened up and they're sounding gorgeous. In the meantime I had ordered the tri-amped Navis powered version with three distributed internal amps providing 300 watts per speaker. Since everything I read on the Elac said it needs POWAH my thought was I'd see if Andrew Jones designs amplifiers as well as he does speakers. I'll report back with some sort of comparison. But I must say the UB52's are really sounding great, detailed but not tiring, good but not great bass *thump* and amazing imaging as good or better than anything I've ever heard. Better with a sub? Yes but not for near field in your use case, it isn't needed. The sweet spot is rather small but if you can do triangle placement on your desk or area they sound like good headphones. I hope they open up for you with time.
what did you power the ub52 with?

E-Lint

I was using an older Onkyo TX-NR626 AVR that I still had. Decent unit, plenty enough power when used 2 channel and features galore. Not special but adequate.

Top Bottom