• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Near Field Speakers for around 400 usd

kyosurai

Hi everyone,
This is probably my first thread here. I need some help in making some decision to purchase a near field speakers for my PC.
Currently I have a budget of around 800usd for a pair, and would like some recommendations.

I'm currently looking into the Focal Alpha 50 Evo. There are friends that had recommended the Genelec 8010a.
Would love to hear your opinions and suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

3125b

Major Contributor
I'm currently looking into the Focal Alpha 50 Evo. There are friends that had recommended the Genelec 8010a.
Those are very different speakers. That begs the question what you are actually looking for - what does your current setup look like (room, electronics etc.? What would be the use case? Is anything (like a sub etc.) excluded from the get-go?

To make any reasonable recommendations those things are important to know, otherwise you might end up with something you can't properly use, and then even the best speakers would be a waste.

OP
K

kyosurai

Those are very different speakers. That begs the question what you are actually looking for - what does your current setup look like (room, electronics etc.? What would be the use case? Is anything (like a sub etc.) excluded from the get-go?

To make any reasonable recommendations those things are important to know, otherwise you might end up with something you can't properly use, and then even the best speakers would be a waste.
Ah, sorry! I forgot about them as well when I was typing the thread. So far I'm looking for active speakers as I will be using together with my dac/amp (cayin idac-6 mk2and iha-6).
I don't think I'll be wanting a sub as it'll be a hassle to pair it up on an electric table. I'll be mainly using it for gaming (PS5 + PC RPG games) and music. As for room size, thats a bit hard to answer cuz I didnt really measure my room; and I dont know how to answer that question as I mainly will be using the PC at the corner of the room thats all. :x
Did I miss anything out ?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Maybe attach a picture of your current PC setup, as well as estimated listening distance to be expected.

Having more money tied up in electronics than speakers is not ideal budget distribution, but it is what it is.

You would be getting 8010As if you wanted speakers that are still somewhat legit but very small (the size class of iLouds or EVE SC203s). The promo picture illustrates just how small that is:
8010kit-image1.jpg

Bass response is decent for the size but does nosedive rapidly below 80 Hz:
8010A_freq_resp_graph.png

From experience with the EVEs sporting a very similar bass response, I would not consider it satisfactory without some help in the form of EQ to push the lower limit closer to 60 Hz (at the expense of level handling), or a sub of course. (Only the iLouds can provide a full-range experience out of the box.) The smallest Genelecs are also plagued with rather excessive input sensitivity relative to their size and typical listening distances, making hiss a constant companion, and the 8010A is the worst offender with only two options of 96 dB or 106 dB SPL @ 1 m @ 0 dBu.

If you can still comfortably fit the 5" Focals (which are literally twice as wide and deep and a good 50% higher), you've got a lot more options to choose from.

OP
K

kyosurai

Maybe attach a picture of your current PC setup, as well as estimated listening distance to be expected.

Having more money tied up in electronics than speakers is not ideal budget distribution, but it is what it is.

You would be getting 8010As if you wanted speakers that are still somewhat legit but very small (the size class of iLouds or EVE SC203s). The promo picture illustrates just how small that is:
8010kit-image1.jpg

Bass response is decent for the size but does nosedive rapidly below 80 Hz:
8010A_freq_resp_graph.png

From experience with the EVEs sporting a very similar bass response, I would not consider it satisfactory without some help in the form of EQ to push the lower limit closer to 60 Hz (at the expense of level handling), or a sub of course. (Only the iLouds can provide a full-range experience out of the box.) The smallest Genelecs are also plagued with rather excessive input sensitivity relative to their size and typical listening distances, making hiss a constant companion, and the 8010A is the worst offender with only two options of 96 dB or 106 dB SPL @ 1 m @ 0 dBu.

If you can still comfortably fit the 5" Focals (which are literally twice as wide and deep and a good 50% higher), you've got a lot more options to choose from.
Technically I have all the electronics before I decided to get a pair of speakers as I never expect myself to dive into it haha..
Headphones start to bother me a bit whenever I just wanna sit down and relax without anything around my ear or in my ear.

I had attached a photo of my PC Setup. The size of the table is around 80cm x 180cm. I will probably be changing my table in the near future to the Secret Lab's Magnus Pro XL. Most of the time I'll be sitting right in front of my PC which will be directly in front of the speakers. I will be removing the 2nd monitor on the right, and retaining the TV/Monitor (LG C1 48" )

Attachments

• IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom