• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Near field casual listening, studio monitor or something else?

niloiv

Hi guys, I've been using a pair of 6'' studio monitors (Amphion One15) for my desktop system for past 2 years. I don't do any mixing but when switching from headphones for more comfort, I chose monitors over speakers without auditing because it's said that monitors are generally better for close distance listening and have linear sounded (or ‘right', if you can say that at all).

Recently I'm starting to know if there's better option for general listening purpose. Actually even Amphion categorizes their product lines by for music listening vs music making. It drives me nut when I prefer the music played from my TV soundbar which costs less than half of the monitor pair, although the monitors clearly sound more accurate and clean.

I listen to mostly classical music so soundstage is important (also my main gripe about monitors). For now I can't do room adjustment for acoustic purpose so I'll still be using them on my desk, or a pair of stand behind my desk, around 1m/3ft to myself.

Please share your opinion! Thanks!

OP
N

niloiv

soundbars use stereo widning effects (with phase),
best thing to do is to make the distance between your monitos wider if it sounds too narrow.
but you could also use such effect on the monitors with software
Thanks, that's new to me. I'll give that a try. But for listening purpose alone, would you recommend something say a pair of Kef R3 (I assume they are speakers designed for listening up near field?) over a pair of professional studio monitors?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Thanks, that's new to me. I'll give that a try. But for listening purpose alone, would you recommend something say a pair of Kef R3 (I assume they are speakers designed for listening up near field?) over a pair of professional studio monitors?

you should probably first try to become more familiar with the monitors you have a play around with the stereo triangle.
do you room eq?

Last edited:

ferrellms

Hi guys, I've been using a pair of 6'' studio monitors (Amphion One15) for my desktop system for past 2 years. I don't do any mixing but when switching from headphones for more comfort, I chose monitors over speakers without auditing because it's said that monitors are generally better for close distance listening and have linear sounded (or ‘right', if you can say that at all).

Recently I'm starting to know if there's better option for general listening purpose. Actually even Amphion categorizes their product lines by for music listening vs music making. It drives me nut when I prefer the music played from my TV soundbar which costs less than half of the monitor pair, although the monitors clearly sound more accurate and clean.

I listen to mostly classical music so soundstage is important (also my main gripe about monitors). For now I can't do room adjustment for acoustic purpose so I'll still be using them on my desk, or a pair of stand behind my desk, around 1m/3ft to myself.

Please share your opinion! Thanks!
Genelec 8331 and 8341 are excellent for that placement and can be digitally tuned for your specific room and taste with their GLM software.

Top Bottom