• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Near field 4.0 surround (genelec 8010 vs mackie hr624mk1)

IIISLIDEIII

hi everyone, i need some advice.
On my gaming PC I'm using stereo, but I want to do a near field 4.0 setup, with speakers positioned 80cm away from me.
I currently use an old pair of mackie hr624mk1 for the front pair and have to decide what to buy for the rear pair.
I found second hand for $ 400 a pair of hr624mk1 like mine, I could buy them and quit the game, but I am also considering selling my mackies and buying 4 new speakers, my mackies work fine but are a project that is so many years old.
I'm aiming for the genelec 8010, what do you think?
Would I have a better result with 4 8010 than 4 hr624mk1?
my use is not for movies or music, just gaming but as a musician, I want good sound, not low quality speaker, I often play at fps, I don't look for sound with highs and lows in evidence but with good midrange to hear the footsteps better
thank you all

Last edited:
OP
I

IIISLIDEIII

I wouldn't ever buy any Genelec smaller than the 8030C unless it was absolutely needed to fit in a particular space, which can't be the case if you have HR624MK1s now.
The 8010 is tiny.

It' going to be a big downgrade in bass extension and maximum volume from the HR624mk1.
thanks for sharing opinions.
I am not directed exclusively to 8010, I can buy other model and other brand, I accept advice.
Basically I'm considering whether to keep my 2 mackies and buy 2 more of the same or sell them and buy 4 different speakers, but I don't know if it's worth it, what do you think?
Consider that I want to do a near field 4.0, the spekaers will be 80 cm from me, no further.

This is my current situation, for rear speakers I am using b & w scms (passive) that I had at home, they sound good but have a completely different tone from the mackies so I can't continue like this.
what do you say, I buy 2 more mackies and close the game?
Used I find them at 400 dollars but I see that today they sell new speakers at that price, leaving aside the genelecs, I have seen for example the m-audio bx5 d3 and the jbl lsr305 between 2/300 dollars(new), do you know them?
how do i compare to my mackies?

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not directed exclusively to 8010, I can buy other model and other brand, I accept advice.

It's not super clear to me why you wanted the 8010A in the first place? Price? The reason we don't recommend very small monitors is the bass extension is poor and so is the ability to play low frequency dynamics.

If the 8030C is too expensive, I suggest looking at other low-cost, good performing monitors that are larger like the Adam T5V, T8V, JBL 306/308p, Kali IN-5, or iLoud MTM. There is an index of all reviews. Generally, larger will give you more bass, and I wouldn't go smaller than 5-6" woofer as otherwise you will have much less bass than you do now.

OP
I

IIISLIDEIII

It's not super clear to me why you wanted the 8010A in the first place? Price? The reason we don't recommend very small monitors is the bass extension is poor and so is the ability to play low frequency dynamics.

If the 8030C is too expensive, I suggest looking at other low-cost, good performing monitors that are larger like the Adam T5V, T8V, JBL 306/308p, Kali IN-5, or iLoud MTM. There is an index of all reviews. Generally, larger will give you more bass, and I wouldn't go smaller than 5-6" woofer as otherwise you will have much less bass than you do now.
Emotiva B1+
I wouldn't want to spend more than $ 500 for the rear pair.
The adam t5v , jbl306 or emotiva b1 do they sound better than my mackies?

OP
I

IIISLIDEIII

Why not incorporate a small subwoofer?
because I only play fps and I don't need the bass part of explosions and more, it is only important to hear the footsteps and noises in the mid frequencies and to have good surround sound positioning to understand the position of the enemy

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for sharing opinions.
Basically I'm considering whether to keep my 2 mackies and buy 2 more of the same or sell them and buy 4 different speakers, but I don't know if it's worth it, what do you think?

Since you're only looking for positional audio cues I'd guess that the 8010s would work well for you needs, although it's kind of an expensive upgrade if you're already happy with the performance of the Mackies and don't need the space savings of the 8010s.

This is my current situation, for rear speakers I am using b & w scms (passive) that I had at home, they sound good but have a completely different tone from the mackies so I can't continue like this.
what do you say, I buy 2 more mackies and close the game?

If you're happy with the performance of your front pair, I think buying another for the rear would be the way to go.

OP
I

IIISLIDEIII

Since you're only looking for positional audio cues I'd guess that the 8010s would work well for you needs, although it's kind of an expensive upgrade if you're already happy with the performance of the Mackies and don't need the space savings of the 8010s.

If you're happy with the performance of your front pair, I think buying another for the rear would be the way to go.
thanks, taking 2 more mackies would be the most logical way.
Do you know m-audio bx5-d3?
They are very cheap, do you know if they sound good?
I pay $ 400 for a pair used mackies, m-audio costs 200 (new).

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love Genelec, but I'd go with 2 more mackies, or a Kali coaxial if you can spare the cash. EBay has some $670 IN-8 monitors and you could likely EQ the bass down for gaming, and make it flat to listen to music.

Top Bottom