• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NCx500 Amplifier in Stereo or Double Mono?

aslan7

I’m looking at a two channel new Hypex NCx500 amplifier that is available in either a stereo or double mono configuration. Is there any listenable benefit to the latter? The latter comes with Rev D buffers, Sonic Imagery, Sparkos, etc. I gather from reading the information in discussions on this site that those upgrades may be of negligible benefit. I have a Hypex NC252mp stereo amplifier in my office system and think it sounds fantastic so possibly I’m not sufficiently discriminating. That amp has more than enough power for my needs. Thanks.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With 2 power supplies, one for each channel, you would get maximum isolation between channels for minimum crosstalk, widest soundstage. Although one can argue that a single PS crosstalk is tiny anyway.

Other than that the single power supply is 1200W and 2 NCx500OEM modules draw up to 700W each, so you would lose some peak power. Although one can argue that the difference between 600W versus 700W peak power is tiny anyway.

So there are pros for sure, but as everything in this hobby, definitely diminishing returns for your money.

OP
aslan7

aslan7

Thanks. I think my favorite vintage amplifier, the Harnon Kardon Citation 12, was dual mono so the increased soundstage is a benefit. The price isn’t much higher so I’ll probably go in that direction. But I doubt I’ll get anywhere near the peak power.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks. I think my favorite vintage amplifier, the Harnon Kardon Citation 12, was dual mono so the increased soundstage is a benefit.
It is vastly unlikely that dual mono had an "increased soundstage."

The only benefit here for the NCx500 is the slightly higher power.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is vastly unlikely that dual mono had an "increased soundstage."

The only benefit here for the NCx500 is the slightly higher power.
I'd have to see some solid measurements to believe the "less crosstalk" claims, too. Mono blocks look impressive, but I doubt the electronic validity.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'd have to see some solid measurements to believe the "less crosstalk" claims, too. Mono blocks look impressive, but I doubt the electronic validity.
It takes a LOT of crosstalk to be audible. For example, the very best phono cartridges might have 25dB or so separation at midband.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It takes a LOT of crosstalk to be audible. For example, the very best phono cartridges might have 25dB or so separation at midband.
The vast majority of mixes don't have a lot of isolation, either. I guess there may some special effects mixes, but not usually for serious music.

OP
aslan7

aslan7

Possibly I will reconsider and just get the plain "entry level" stereo one. It is upgradeable for the other bells and whistles so I could always insert those later. I listen to a lot of classical mono recordings from the 1950s and have zero problem with the sound qualities. The only exception to that was the big DG reissue set where some of the recordings seemed poor and very limited. That was surprising because back then DG was a highly desired label for recording quality.

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Yes indeed SIY, phonographs have marginal isolation (crosstalk).

If a stereo or three channel NCx500 has been properly engineered, there is no comparison, at least 60dB better.

The reason you want to go with a mono-block is so you do not have power supply limitations. This is especially an issue with speakers that dip down close to 2 ohms.

Deer Creek Audio is an authorized Hypex dealer

Last edited:
Top Bottom