• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NCORE MP Build using Ghentaudio Kit.

Buddelpudding

Personally I would spend a little more and get double the power with the Audiophonics MPA-S252NC.
I do not like the form factor for a stereo amp.

I am actually eyeing the NC250MP modules. A pair sold for 300€ on the German Hifi Forum today, but unfortunately I missed it :eek:

OP
decoRyder

decoRyder

Are you sure you are in the right forum? So much for the "Science" part...

No, it won't work exactly the same. It will work, and Bruno labels it "acceptable", but it is not as good as a fully balanced connection.

U-huu. And by what specific metric does this specific build of mine transition from 'acceptable' to 'not as 'good as a fully balanced connection' ? Is it audible?

Last edited:
OP
decoRyder

decoRyder

OP
decoRyder

decoRyder

Sorry, but I meant not the cases, but the Hypes modules themselves. I don't think they're available on ebay, right?

There are NCORE modules available on ebay right now, the 122MP appears to be no longer available, but there are 122MP, 252MP and 502MP modules available from the same seller.

Last edited:

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I understood that when I bought it. Seems like it would be difficult to fake, though, and certainly not worth the trouble for these relatively inexpensive modules. Plus seller had good reviews.

OP
decoRyder

decoRyder

Remember that these are not being sold in a legitimate manner. So if they give you any problems or if they are fake or a bad version, you are on your own. I purchased one. I was waiting for March Audio to submit theirs for review but that keeps on getting delayed and delayed. It seems to be working well, but I have no way of confirming specs and if something goes wrong I have no one to blame but myself.

Specific to the seller 'wpc1896' on ebay, I can confirm that the modules I got on ebay from this seller are not fake, and in perfect working order. I guess technically this is a 'grey-market' type of sale, with all the implications that such transactions bring with them.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Are you sure you are in the right forum? So much for the "Science" part...
No, it won't work exactly the same. It will work, and Bruno labels it "acceptable", but it is not as good as a fully balanced connection.

source.gif

Well, suppose we don't have any source that gives balanced out? I guess 90-95% of hifi people/sets are in that category, me included. Well my cd player has XLR out, but I can't pair it with anything.

pos

Forum Donor
Juhazi said:
Well, suppose we don't have any source that gives balanced out? I guess 90-95% of hifi people/sets are in that category, me included. Well my cd player has XLR out, but I can't pair it with anything.
The preferred solution in that situation is to have XLR inputs on the amp and use an RCA to XLR cable with a "pseudo differential" wiring, ie balanced cable all along with negative and ground wires soldered together on the rca side :
https://neurochrome.com/pages/pseudo-differential-cable

Last edited:
OP
decoRyder

decoRyder

Attachments

• rca_grounded.png
    rca_grounded.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 200

Biblob

The preferred solution in that situation is to have XLR inputs on the amp and use an RCA to XLR cable with a "pseudo differential" wiring, ie balanced cable all along with negative and ground wires soldered together on the rca side :
https://neurochrome.com/pages/pseudo-differential-cable
I think something went wrong with the reply button. You did reply to me, but not at my message ;)

Reactions: pos
OP
decoRyder

decoRyder

I am only bringing up the risks because I want to make sure others fully understand the situation.

Deco: how warm does your amp case get? Mine certainly gets warm but nothing I would remotely consider hot. I am considering the thermal paste as well since the case is so small (a quality which I like). I also got one of those iec inlet covers for the inside. One of these https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/schurter-inc/0859.0075/486-2029-ND/1730687

I wonder what other small tweaks one can make.

The thermal paste really helps to transfer the heat from the amp module to the case - under sustained load it will get fairly warm, very quickly - which is good, since that means the heatpaste is effective in transferring the heat to the case.
Between the circuit board and the amp metal backplate of the module there are thermalpads pre-applied by Hypex in several places. For those who want to really make 100% sure to ensure the best-possible heat transfer, it might be worthwhile to temporarily remove the backplate, and replace the applied thermalpads with higher quality thermalpads such as the ones from Arctic.

On this amp I've used Arctic MX-4 thermal paste, which I usually use on 'Monster' Noctua Ryzen Threadripper coolers, but any non-conductive thermal paste should do just fine.

Last edited:

Biblob

sorry about that, my mistake
No worries. I asked you if you know what the compromise is between the Ncore amps and the Fusion. Because the plate amps are cheaper while having DSP posibilities as well.

Top Bottom