• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NC502MP

OP
G

Grierts

There are threads on both. Both have tear-downs with analysis. I will let you look at those and decide for yourself.

I went with buckeye after reading everything.
Thoughts on the speakon upgrade ???

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One more question for you

Besides the power/wattage and price.

What is the difference between these 2 products ?

VTV PASCAL L-PRO2S Four Channel Amplifier 4X800W

VTV Amplifier Hypex NC502MP+NC500MP Three Channel Amplifier 3X500 W

Like, is there a reason not to spend the extra $200 and get more power??
They're based on two entirely different amplification modules. The Hypex is the newer, cleaner system. With that said, I doubt you'd hear a difference if both were operating below clipping. I believe a number of active speakers employ Pascal modules.

OP
G

Grierts

They're based on two entirely different amplification modules. The Hypex is the newer, cleaner system. With that said, I doubt you'd hear a difference if both were operating below clipping. I believe a number of active speakers employ Pascal modules.
Oh Gotcha.

One more question.

I am trying to undersand the ohms/impedence.

I have L/R speakers with 8ohm impedence and a center channel with 4ohm impedence.

When plugged into an amp does the amp default to 8ohm wattage for everything?

Or is it able to provide 8ohms into my LR and 4ohms wattage into my center ?

Does this question make sense ?

Essentially how does an amp handle speakers with different ohms ?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh Gotcha.

One more question.

I have L/R speakers with 8ohm impedence and a center channel with 4ohm impedence.

Both of these amplifiers will have no difficulty driving either 4 ohm or 8 ohm nominal impedance speakers.

mdunjic

The only way you'll damage your speakers is if you play too loud and don't stop when you hear your speakers start stressing/distorting. If you listen to the same SPL as before higher power amps, you will just have more headroom for dynamics with the higher power amp. This can actually result in not damaging your speaker as you won't be putting an amp into clipping via the dynamics of the music/movie you are listening to.

You could put a 5000w amp on a speaker rated for 100w and it won't damage it if you don't go stupid crazy.

I love my 6 channels of 502mp's and 4 channels of 252mp's. I don't regret buying them at all.
Underpowered power amplifier will almost always damage speakers (due to clipping) lot before an overpowered amplifier, which has enough headroom not to clip and uncontrollably distort. Of course with 350W capable power amplifier, it is not advisable driving it beyond the speaker limit though. But more power, generally and in my own experience, actually helps, if one knows what they are doing.

Last edited:

ruzun

Is there a new version, the NCx502 coming out soon? I saw it mentioned on the net.

Roger

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh Gotcha.

One more question.

It will just drive them both.

But with the same volume knob position (or same gain) then the 4ohm speaker will be going at double the power of the 8 ohm speakers.

fyton2v

Hi all. I've been researching this forum for days on amplifiers, and I appreciate the skew towards measurement and facts when people are discussing the world of Hi-Fi. But I'd appreciate a bit of perhaps subjective :) advice related to this particular Hypex module. I need a multi-channel amp and Class D fits my requirement. But my speakers are tweeners for the to NCore MP line. The NC252 are rated under my mains at 8 ohms and the 502s are WAY over.

I'm running 150w B&W 704 S2 mains and even smaller center, surround, and height speakers. I just want one amp to drive everything, and while I doubt I'll get bigger mains anytime soon, it could happen, someday. These things are 90%+ on home theater duty and I have no desire to listen at ear blowing levels.

Anyway, there isn't a whole lot of $$ difference between 8 channel 502 and 252 based amps. I feel like spending a tad more for the 502s buys down the road flexibility, but would that amp just be ridiculous for my setup?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all. I've been researching this forum for days on amplifiers, and I appreciate the skew towards measurement and facts when people are discussing the world of Hi-Fi. But I'd appreciate a bit of perhaps subjective :) advice related to this particular Hypex module. I need a multi-channel amp and Class D fits my requirement. But my speakers are tweeners for the to NCore MP line. The NC252 are rated under my mains at 8 ohms and the 502s are WAY over.

I'm running 150w B&W 704 S2 mains and even smaller center, surround, and height speakers. I just want one amp to drive everything, and while I doubt I'll get bigger mains anytime soon, it could happen, someday. These things are 90%+ on home theater duty and I have no desire to listen at ear blowing levels.

Anyway, there isn't a whole lot of $$ difference between 8 channel 502 and 252 based amps. I feel like spending a tad more for the 502s buys down the road flexibility, but would that amp just be ridiculous for my setup?
No. The 502's would not be too much. There are benefits to having too much power available compared to not enough. Sending clean signals and not stressing the amps is always beneficial.

With that said, the 252's would be plenty too. The 252's are rated right at your B&W's at 150w @ 8ohm according to their specs.

What are you currently driving your B&W's with?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in a similar position with a suggested amp of 150W (from the speaker manufacter) 6ohm speakers.

If I get an amp it will be the 502. Similar reasoning to the above - it will never need to clip. If I don't drive the speakers into distortion they'll be fine, and if I'm really concerned, I can put an attenuating gain on the output of my MiniDSP Flex (but I won't). It would also be possible to put a resistive attenuator onto the input of the amp (to effectively limit its gain and reduce the maximum power that way)

fyton2v

What are you currently driving your B&W's with?
An out of warranty NAD T777v3, with what I believe are a couple of intermittently failing speaker relays. I'm going to add an external power amp to solve the relay issue. I'm also not fond of the NAD, in general. It's HDMI module is flaky, I think it also has a problems with it's DSP, because of some dropouts that occur only when playing PCM audio. And it doesn't support an on screen overlay for volume, sources, etc. That last bit is an issue for me as I'm moving this into a rack in an adjacent room and I'll be unable to see the NAD's front panel. I plan on replacing it with one of the new, mid-range Denon or fancy-pants Marantz AVRs after they've been tested. I'd use that new AVR as a processor and keep the speakers on the NCore amp. I'm really just looking for decent sound out of a reliable mix of components and I've already wasted far too much time with NAD.

Sokel

Master Contributor
There are benefits to having too much power available compared to not enough. Sending clean signals and not stressing the amps is always beneficial.
Totally agree,I never had issues with more power (I run nearly 1.5KW a channel) for a long time.
A good example is the little Devialet Phantoms,1100 watts in a speaker the size of a basketball.
It's not about loudness and high SPL,is about the ease to drive everything as it should.

mdunjic

Hmmm is my calculation right ?

Is an increase from 100w to 350w only an increase in 3db?

I used 5 speakers if my avr powers all 5 channels vs 3 speakers if the external amp powers my LCR
3db increase in SPL is not insignificant though

stoyania

hi,
I have the same dilemma as I currently use the same fronts as you 704 S2...may i ask what amp did you decide to buy?

Top Bottom