• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NC502MP

Grierts

Does anybody have any experience with the NC502MP amps?

I was contemplating buying the

VTV 3 channel

or

Buckeye 3 channel

350x3 (8ohms sounds amazing !!)

To buy those amps, would that be a worse decision than a Emotiva Basx A3 or XPA-3 ??

OP
G

Grierts

I have the following setup:

TV: LG CX OLED

- CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER Emotiva Airmotiv C2+ $403.85

- Current AVR / RECIEVER : Integra DRX 3.4

- LR SPEAKERS Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ $268.85

- SUBWOOFERS SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2 $1,092.50

- REAR SPEAKERS NEUMI BS5 $100

I Like to play my music LOUD from time to time.

I already know, "You don't need a amp, its just a waste of $....."

But goddamnit I like my music Loud !!!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The NC502MP is a stereo module, so like me, if you want to power your front trio, you need 2 modules and 4 channels even though you would use 3 of them.

Go Buckeye and you will not regret the choice of this module, it is really good.

OP
G

Grierts

The NC502MP is a stereo module, so like me, if you want to power your front trio, you need 2 modules and 4 channels even though you would use 3 of them.

Go Buckeye and you will not regret the choice of this module, it is really good.

You say I would need 2 modules

Why can't I just buy one of these ?

OP
G

Grierts

That is not 350WX3.;)

The NC502 is a stereo module. Either you need two to get four channels (Buckeye), or a sister board with another NC500MP (mono) to get three (VTV). The latter is a bit weaker at 270W/8Ω, tho.
Ok you are right.

But this is 4x350

I think I'll just go with that

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I Like to play my music LOUD from time to time.
The main thing you'll do with those amps is damaging your speakers. 350W for a 150W peak speaker is probably not a good idea.

If you want loud, buy bigger speakers, for the 2K spend of the amps, you'll probably have some nice options.

SaltyCDogg

Question for you

How could I connect the NC502MP

To an Integra DRX 3.4 preouts ??

Just use a XLR to RCA cable???

Yes

The main thing you'll do with those amps is damaging your speakers. 350W for a 150W peak speaker is probably not a good idea.

If you want loud, buy bigger speakers, for the 2K spend of the amps, you'll probably have some nice options.

I don't think that's true. Isn't a less powerful amp driven to clipping more likely to damage their speakers?

I agree that the speakers would be what I'd probably upgrade first. But then the OP buys the amp first they'll be ready to go for better speakers in the future. They're also 'only' looking at spending 1K on the 4 channel buckeye amp.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think that's true. Isn't a less powerful amp driven to clipping more likely to damage their speakers?
Either will damage your speakers just fine. The creed is: don’t be an idiot ;)

Bedsides, people overestimate how much louder a bigger amp will go. Remember that to play twice as loud, you’ll need 10x the power.

OP
G

Grierts

Either will damage your speakers just fine. The creed is: don’t be an idiot ;)

Bedsides, people overestimate how much louder a bigger amp will go. Remember that to play twice as loud, you’ll need 10x the power.

Hmmm is my calculation right ?

Is an increase from 100w to 350w only an increase in 3db?

I used 5 speakers if my avr powers all 5 channels vs 3 speakers if the external amp powers my LCR

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220322-020734_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-020734_Chrome.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20220322-020759_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-020759_Chrome.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 73

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

The only way you'll damage your speakers is if you play too loud and don't stop when you hear your speakers start stressing/distorting. If you listen to the same SPL as before higher power amps, you will just have more headroom for dynamics with the higher power amp. This can actually result in not damaging your speaker as you won't be putting an amp into clipping via the dynamics of the music/movie you are listening to.

You could put a 5000w amp on a speaker rated for 100w and it won't damage it if you don't go stupid crazy.

I love my 6 channels of 502mp's and 4 channels of 252mp's. I don't regret buying them at all.

Jdunk54nl

I used 5 speakers if my avr powers all 5 channels vs 3 speakers if the external amp powers my LCR
every time you double power, you get an additional 3db. So going from 100w to 200w is +3db. Then going from 200w to 400w is another +3db. So going from 100w to 350w is around +5dbish.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

At tiny bit more, but basically yes. But you need 10 dB to perceive it at twice as loud.

OP
G

Grierts

The only way you'll damage your speakers is if you play too loud and don't stop when you hear your speakers start stressing/distorting. If you listen to the same SPL as before higher power amps, you will just have more headroom for dynamics with the higher power amp. This can actually result in not damaging your speaker as you won't be putting an amp into clipping via the dynamics of the music/movie you are listening to.

You could put a 5000w amp on a speaker rated for 100w and it won't damage it if you don't go stupid crazy.

I love my 6 channels of 502mp's and 4 channels of 252mp's. I don't regret buying them at all.
Any difference between VTV and Buckeye?

Any reason to go with one over the other???

OP
G

Grierts

At tiny bit more, but basically yes. But you need 10 dB to perceive it at twice as loud.
From Google

A 3 dB change yields a 100% increase in sound energy and just over a 23% increase in loudness

Jdunk54nl

Any difference between VTV and Buckeye?

Any reason to go with one over the other???
There are threads on both. Both have tear-downs with analysis. I will let you look at those and decide for yourself.

I went with buckeye after reading everything.

Top Bottom