• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NC502MP - Hiss in one channel

sergedc

Hi,
I acquired a DIY made NC502MP Hypex 2 channel power amp, second hand.

After connecting everything, without music:
- When I put my hear on the right channel tweeter, its dead silent
- When I put my hear on the left channel tweeter, I can hear a very very slight hiss. At 5cm (2 inch), I definitely cannot hear it. It's that small.

I have done all the necessary test to ensure that its not coming from the dac, cables, speaker. It's the amp.

Does it mean there is something wrong with the amp? Or it is possible that 1 channels are not as silent as the other one. In the review, there was a difference in THD+N between the 2 sides. Is it possible that I am hearing this difference?

From the review of another NC502MP (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...keye-nc502mp-review-6-channel-amplifer.27607/):

index.php

Last edited:

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@sergedc Your real life issue proves that a hiss test metric needs to be added to the measurement of Class D amps.
What is the sensitivity of your speakers?

D

Deleted member 48726

Since it is DIY I would look inside to see if anything's amiss.

Someone here made a point in resale value and reliability with DIY assembled class D amps. Seems like true prophety.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Someone here made a point in resale value and reliability with DIY assembled class D amps. Seems like true prophety.
The "someone" only follows common sense that says after sales support is more important than the actual sale :)

Edit:How can NC502MP be diy?
That module is only for OEM customers.
Someone is not playing by the rules as it seems...

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
The "someone" only follows common sense that says after sales support is more important than the actual sale :)

Edit:How can NC502MP be diy?
That module is only for OEM customers.
Someone is not playing by the rules as it seems...
I have seen several advertisements here when the end user, not OEM contractor, was selling the Ncore module alone.

pma

Major Contributor
I have done all the necessary test to ensure that its not coming from the dac, cables, speaker. It's the amp.

Have you tested the amp with input connector shorted? Almost any beginner who complains for buzz/hiss does not do it properly. The test with open input connector (connected to nothing) would be invalid.

Last edited:

jimk1963

Have you tested the amp with input connector shorted? Almost any beginner who complains for buzz/hiss does not do it properly. The test with open input connector (connected to nothing) would be invalid.
Interesting comment - why is that?

pma

Major Contributor
Because it catches all interference EMI fields from the surrounds into the input impedance of the amp. The higher the input impedance, the worse. And because the physical placement of two channels is different, so is the induced voltage. The plot posted in #1 is of no relevance to this.

jimk1963

Because it catches all interference EMI fields from the surrounds into the input impedance of the amp. The higher the input impedance, the worse. And because the physical placement of two channels is different, so is the induced voltage. The plot posted in #1 is of no relevance to this.
Ah I see, thanks. I guess amp inputs are several 10’s of kOhms while pre-amp outputs are maybe 5-500 ohms… So in normal operation, the amp input is fed from a low impedance. And besides that, the super high input impedance of the amp is just a pick-up magnet for any kind of nearby noise. Thanks, that’s a great debugging tip.

Chaos01

Hi, i got similar Problems. posted also here:
Do you have cables or rca/xlr inputs near to the power capacitors or the green coil?

Maybe it will help, i will let you know if i got a update.

Top Bottom