• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NC252MP (class D) vs. A250W4R (classAB) burst measurements into 4ohm//2.2uF load

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Would you please give a link and recommendation by Hypex regarding maximum load capacitance? IMO it does not exist. Are there manufacturers to specify rated maximum load capacitance? I do not know. Are there speakers with capacitive reactance of 2.2uF and much more? Not many, but they exist.
The mention of 200nF cable capacitance was made by Bruno unoficially at DIYaudio 12 years ago. I have not read any manufacturers warning against 2.2uF load capacitance. The testing like mine is good to warn potential users with such speakers. ASR official reviews will not inform you about such issue. You only get info how the amplifier under test operates with purely resistive load. Not many speakers have purely resistive impedance. And please avoid car analogies. They are completely pointless. I could give similar analogies, but I stick with facts and measurements, though many here stick with meaningless debates only.

I quoted your quote, and I trusted it! :)

Should amp spec sheets contain something like that? Sure, I would find it interesting. But as your testing has shown, it’s not an issue that could lead to potential death and destruction, so a consumer warning in big bold letters is probably not warranted.

Vuki

"Ncore is a very good amplifier with most of "usual" speakers"

In theory is yes, but practically we do need to measure the capacitance that is present at the speaker banana plugs.
We may have some surprise depending how the crossover is designed and what is the drivers size.
I remember measuring 4.7uF with a 5.25" midrange (not connected to the crossover) using a LCR meter.
I need to make new measurements at the speaker banana plugs level.

More worrying is the Pspice model of a 12S30 BMS speaker (12" subwoofer).
https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/simulate-speaker-with-equivalent-rlc-circuit
The larger capacitance is 240uF.
When playing music, if there is no bi-amp, the class D amplifier will have to drive the large woofer capacitance and in the same time drive the tweeter without any distortion.
After the very useful measurements made by @pma I do not feel well driving a large tower speaker without a class D Bi-amp.
Distortion in the high frequencies will be an issue.
Your measurement didn't take inductance of a coil in series (low-pass filter) into account

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
But as your testing has shown, it’s not an issue that could lead to potential death and destruction, so a consumer warning in big bold letters is probably not warranted.
This is not confirmed yet, as the test was only short-term. However, in any case you get annoying whistles and 100x higher noise+distortion than with resistor. And, it is easily detectable by ear, as shown in the listening test thread. So, the warning to customers with elstat speakers similar to those listed here is IMO fair. I understand that neither manufacturers and OEM assemblers, nor fans of the amp would be happy, but let's keep emotions and business interests aside.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have a capacitance meter. Can I just hook it up to my speakers and measure it?
That will not give you a reliable number- you need a network analyzer or an impedance analyzer like the ones built into loudspeaker measurement gear (e.g., CLIO). The problem is that the speaker's equivalent impedance has a lot of elements in the network, whereas the capacitance meter is designed to measure something much closer to a pure capacitance (albeit with a small ESR and ESL component).

sernikus

That will not give you a reliable number- you need a network analyzer or an impedance analyzer like the ones built into loudspeaker measurement gear (e.g., CLIO). The problem is that the speaker's equivalent impedance has a lot of elements in the network, whereas the capacitance meter is designed to measure something much closer to a pure capacitance (albeit with a small ESR and ESL component).
No . Pma has connected a cap with resistor to the output of the amplifier - so measuring loudspeaker "capacitance" makes sense in this case...

Sokel

Master Contributor
No . Pma has connected a cap with resistor to the output of the amplifier - so measuring loudspeaker "capacitance" makes sense in this case...
Yes but that was a fixed capacitance,in speakers that is phase,impedance and freq dependent and it varies during playing.

D

Deleted member 48726

Yes but that was a fixed capacitance,in speakers that is phase,impedance and freq dependent and it varies during playing.
But can't it just be resolved by using data from a speakers' impedance / phase diagram?

1679653584480.png

1679653603222.png

Let's focus on the circled area.
f = 110 Hz
Z = 8 ohm
phase = 50 ° cap.

Resolved vector =
6.13 Vert. // 5.14 Hor.
=> Xc = 5.14 ohm

C = (10^6/(2*3.14*110*5.14)) = 281.6 microFarad

Maybe my math is a bit rusty. It's been a while since I juggled vectors and this was in electrical grid and cabinet design so maybe some things can't directly be translated into audio and maybe I read the graph wrong.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Just to clarify,is that what we are looking for? :

Ice Power.PNG

(From my Ice Power pdf)

Doesn't look good...

Edit:Much better in Purifi,more than double but still lower than the 2.2uF tested:

1679655565799.png

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Not with that method, no. A loudspeaker load is far different than a simple series RC.

D

Deleted member 48726

Just to clarify,is that what we are looking for? :

View attachment 274248

(From my Ice Power pdf)

Doesn't look good...

Edit:Much better in Purifi,more than double but still lower than the 2.2uF tested:

View attachment 274249
Nano to micro is a difference of 1000 so if my math above checks out the speaker is at that frequency equal to 281600 nanoFarad or about 700 times the listed value on the ICEpower amp.
But let's get it validated to some degree.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
But can't it just be resolved by using data from a speakers' impedance / phase diagram?

View attachment 274246

View attachment 274247

Let's focus on the circled area.
f = 110 Hz
Z = 8 ohm
phase = 50 ° cap.

Resolved vector =
6.13 Vert. // 5.14 Hor.
=> Xc = 5.14 ohm

C = (10^6/(2*3.14*110*5.14)) = 281.6 microFarad

Maybe my math is a bit rusty. It's been a while since I juggled vectors and this was in electrical grid and cabinet design so maybe some things can't directly be translated into audio and maybe I read the graph wrong.
281uF sounds like a lot. That would be another factor of 100 higher than PMAs already challenging 2.2uF. But I haven’t looked deep into the math (yet). But thanks.

sernikus

Not with that method, no. A loudspeaker load is far different than a simple series RC.
Ok. But... sorry but I don't see the point...2uF load? even piezo speakers rarely have that much...a few hundred nanofarads..but who uses them ?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Ok. But... sorry but I don't see the point...2uF load? even piezo speakers rarely have that much...a few hundred nanofarads..but who uses them ?
High capacitance speaker exist but they are rare. Pavel is concerned about the edge cases, but for 99.9% of speakers, it’s irrelevant.

Coincidentally, the first class D setup I ever heard was driving electrostats. Sounded great.

D

Deleted member 48726

I'm sure that it's not only the electrical components that determine the actual impedance components. Of all electro mechanical devices, an equivalent diagram can be made to simulate how a solely electrical circuit would look like. Things like moving mass (cones) and spring tension (cabinet air volume) would affect the actual impedance as seen by the amplifier. Things like these can't be measured in stationary state. Look at the phase / impedance diagram of a speaker how much it varies. Then think about how that diagram would look like if just measured unplugged with a multimeter.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
High capacitance speaker exist but they are rare. Pavel is concerned about the edge cases, but for 99.9% of speakers, it’s irrelevant.
That is correct. I am testing a “niche” situation, though existing situation, for few speakers. Some electrostats are “lighter” load, as we can see inductance effect above 10-20kHz. But some are even worse than my dummy load. I think it is good to mention such possibility. One should evaluate the info with respect to his technical conditions, for most it will be a non-issue.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
That is correct. I am testing a “niche” situation, though existing situation, for few speakers. Some electrostats are “lighter” load, as we can see inductance effect above 10-20kHz. But some are even worse than my dummy load. I think it is good to mention such possibility. One should evaluate the info with respect to his technical conditions, for most it will be a non-issue.
Are you able to say where this “niche” starts? What are the typical capacitative reactance of our usual KEFs, Revel, Focals etc. ? nFs? or uFs? Order of magnitude would already help me. Thx

D

Deleted member 48726

Can the load be calculated at different frequencies the way I did further up on this page?

Reactions: pma
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Can the load be calculated at different frequencies the way I did further up on this page?
If you have impedance plots with impedance modulus |Z| and phase angle φ, then Z = |Z|*exp(jφ) = |Z|*(cosφ + jsinφ). If you read |Z| and φ at one frequency, you have more possibilities how to build the same impedance. For example, we know |Z| and φ that is negative at the chosen frequency point. Then we can make a model even with R1+C1 or with R2//C2 - different values. However, to simulate the complete measured plot, the circuit may be much more complicated. So we can do it simply only at one frequency, or in case of a simple complex impedance.
Remember that |Z| is root of R squared + X squared. There is no difference between electrical grid and audio impedance calculations :).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

If you have impedance plots with impedance modulus |Z| and phase angle φ, then Z = |Z|*exp(jφ) = |Z|*(cosφ + jsinφ). If you read |Z| and φ at one frequency, you have more possibilities how to build the same impedance. For example, we know |Z| and φ that is negative at the chosen frequency point. Then we can make a model even with R1+C1 or with R2//C2 - different values. However, to simulate the complete measured plot, the circuit may be much more complicated. So we can do it simply only at one frequency, or in case of a simple complex impedance.
Yes, you've written what I did but in complex (imaginary) numbers. But when broken down into components, then the load the amplifier sees would be exactly that C equivalent value (or L, but that doesn't seem to be an issue) component at that exact frequency, right?
So what does that tell us IR class D? -That it's more pronounced IRL even than the 2.2 uF component you tested it with?

Top Bottom