• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Natural Sound NS17 Review (Speaker)

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Striking in that blurb is the way it assumes our unquestioning admiration for professionals. I, for one, do not believe that professional implies competent. Most of the great calamities of the last half century were given to us by professionals. Many of the lesser ones too.

Had enough of experts?

uwotm8

or you're tip-toeing into Amir's personal preference
Or maybe I think this is quite unclear, especially in some situations like "not sure what was wrong but something was".
Something is not right then, either measurements or the whole idea of "only FR matters" science.
There were enough speakers what measured way worse (including directivity) while being called joyful/acceptable to listen.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or maybe I think this is quite unclear, especially in some situations like "not sure what was wrong but something was".
Something is not right then, either measurements or the whole idea of "only FR matters" science.
There were enough speakers what measured way worse (including directivity) while being called joyful/acceptable to listen.

Amir's experience will not necessarily translate to your or everybody else's experience, not only it is sighted but it is also influenced by Amir's room and personal biases.

you have to experiment and figure out what is your target curve, find out what sounds good to you instead of what sounds good to other people, it is very clear which part of the review is objective and which part is subjective.

but to be perfectly clear, the boost in bass will have similar effect to knocking down the mid-range resonances. so it's not unsubstantiated or strange in my opinion.

uwotm8

you have to experiment and figure out what is your target curve
B-b-but Olive score... Harman... 86%... science...
OK, jokes off.
There's also cases when we have comparable FRs and directivity and even target curves but speaker sound described as severely different.
(I hope there's a people here who a) understand how ruler flat anechoic response turns out in a real room and b) understand how amazingly human ears adapt to non-critical FR changes)
Amir's experience will not necessarily translate to your or everybody else's
As far as I prefer listening to pair of speakers - definitely:)

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a real pity, since not only the step response but also the decay behavior could be studied in more detail with access to the impulse response and would open the prospect of many controversial discussions ;)
If Amir has the optional complex data export module (last I checked it costs 6 800 EUR), he can export the frequency response with phase (i.e. transfer function) or impulse response in an ASCII file.

klippel1.PNG

jjk

Forum Donor
Are those the correct parameters for the depicted filter?
Looks more like 100 Hz/ +4/1.5

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For those of you up to no good which keep asking me for "timing" graphs, here is the impulse response:

@amirm, since you are in a generous mood; could you include the phase data in the spinorama data dump?

sam_adams

If Amir has the optional complex data export module (last I checked it costs 6 800 EUR), he can export the frequency response with phase (i.e. transfer function) or impulse response in an ASCII file.

Well that was timely . . .

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Colour me outraged. That is a simple rip-off. All the data already exists in the system. It is the matter of moments to spit it out into a standard format file. I'm particularly peeved as I really want to get hold of the transfer functions so that we can apply some proper perceptual models to the distortion characteristics, and make them actually useful beyond just a good/bad indicator. Klippel should be ashamed to charge that.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
My point was the use of anechoic chamber for the measurements. That, is very unique.

only proof of that being promo material and a single pic that looks like a pretty bad photoshop?
sorry, i'm not sure if i buy into that claim

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm the manufacturer says they match left & right channels within 1dB. Was your unit had a matching serial number?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Corporate shame. What a novel concept.
Lol... I read a article where a psychology expert stated that a corporation's operation is comparable to a psychopathic personality. :D I think it was a bit of a stretch but sometimes it makes me wonder.

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Corporate shame. What a novel concept.
Well Klippel is a person. The company isn’t that big, and probably has some pride in what it does. Klippel the man has made significant contribution to the state of the art. Whist making a successful business on the back of his research is one thing, price gouging that affects how others can further contribute is another.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have it. It creates over 2000 files though and takes megabytes of storage.

Reactions: NTK

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting, thank you @amirm

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
I have it. It creates over 2000 files though and takes megabytes of storage.
Gosh. There is no easy customisation possible?
It would be of enormous value to get the transfer function. Advancing the state of the art and science etc. Even just once as a test of the method. Perhaps processing could be scripted once the kinks were worked out.

Top Bottom