• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

nano iDSD BL vs. Topping NX4 DSD

Currently ready to pull the trigger on a portable DAC/headphone AMP to use with my iPhone, iPad and laptop while traveling. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the iFi Nano iDSD BL and the Topping NX4 DSD. They are pretty close in price ($199 USD vs. $160 USD. Both are available with Amazon Prime).

My headphones are a pair of HD650s (Home/Office listening use) and Earsonics Velvets (for use when traveling).

Pros of the Nano iDSD BL:
* Cleaner wire routing with the Camera Connection Kit (afforded by the male USB input of the iDSD).
* iE match built in.
* More than enough power for the HD650s, I think.

Pros of the NX4 DSD:
* Measured well on this forum. Nano iDSD BL not yet measured.
* Better form factor IMO for stacking on an iPhone, albeit with worse wire management unless I try a non-Apple-CCK micro USB to lightning cable.
* $30 less expensive.
* Hi/low gain options and bass boost option, which may be nice for the HD650s.
* Charging pass-through to keep the unit charged up while sitting on my desk (or using a backup battery) -- I don't see any way to do with with the Nano, unless I am missing something.

NX4 channel imbalance concerns me a little bit with my IEMs (31 ohm/116 dB sensitivity). The xDSD and Micro iDSD BL are both really nice, but outside my budget right now (which is right around $200). Let me know if you think I've missed something here.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had an idsd nano black for 2 weeks and returned it because the main headphone jack was so loose the plug would fall out. It can drive HD650's but not over the top loud, and may struggle with an occasional recording which is at mostly low levels. SQ was on a level with my Grace M9xx.

One thing to remember with any rechargeable battery equipped device is to discharge the battery partially now and then or the battery may prematurely fail.

OP
openbaffle3278
Thanks, @Ron Texas. Bummer about your unit. And thanks for the feedback on driving the HD650s. DX4 is looking more promising at this point. I don't stream using a service that at present offers MQA support (local loseless files and/or Spotify are my main sources of music), so that benefit is lost on me a bit, too.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't stream, but I have lots of bad habits, LOL.

F4ng

I do have a iFi Nano iDSD BL waiting for review. So if you are not in a hurry, you may want to wait for that to come out.

Really looking forward to it!

Like the OP, I'm considering either the NX4DSD, or the Nano.

I'll also throw the Chord Mojo into the mix since my friend offered to sell one to me for the price of a brand new nano, which might be worth it just for sheer power and the extremely low output. Yes, I saw measurements from another member in the forum, which looks pretty good, but some in-depth analysis would be nice:)

OP
openbaffle3278
Others to consider are:

1. Used Chord Mojo (pushing the budget quite a bite at $425 USD)
2. Hidizs DH1000 ($219 USD)
3. Fiio Q5 (pushing the budget a bit at $350 USD)
4. iFi xDSD (pushing the budget a bit more at $400 USD)
5. Used Teac HA-P50 ($150 USD) -- Not really ideal for IEMs with high output impedance.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
$425 is way high for a used Mojo. The battery wears out and is expensive to replace.

OP
openbaffle3278
Looking at the historical prices $360 seems to be about avg. for a used Mojo. Fair point about the battery. I still think I am leaning towards the DX4 DSD.

OP
openbaffle3278
Ended up purchasing the NX4 DSD. We'll see how the channel matching is on my unit with my Velvets. I should have it by Friday.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
openbaffle3278
Arrived! Listening right now on my HD650s comfortably at 11 o'clock on the volume control (high-gain, no bass-boost). Lots of headroom for the HD650.

Ripping some CDs from a thrift store trip today.

Attachments

• IMG_8128.jpg
    IMG_8128.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 835

poimandres

I do have a iFi Nano iDSD BL waiting for review. So if you are not in a hurry, you may want to wait for that to come out.

New member. I appreciate all of the work you have done as I am certain everyone else does. I would love to see your review on the nano bl, in fact I am waiting on it before I make a decision.

Have you tried the mass drop o2+sdac? I have heard that the mass drop version of the o2 may be different.

I am also considering the topping NX4 however I do have some concerns with it.

My last option would be the magni3/modi3 stack. Thanks again for all of the info. This site is a great read.

Veri

Master Contributor
Which is better? NX4 DSD or ifi Nano BL?

NX4 is generally better in just about all aspects, unless you use IEMs primarily and like the embedded IEMatch feature of the Nano.
You could also get the NX4 and iFi's standalone IEMatch of course :)

Top Bottom