• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nan-6 Planar Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 84 53.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 17.9%

• Total voters

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't matter i think, because you need to use EQ anyway, if you want to have a correct tonality. Amir corrected the FR also with three EQ's with both Hifiman's. The only differences are if you want to use them without EQ.
Then they’re not really as good are they?

You’re just not recognising cleanliness of the response as a factor.

FreaK

Then they’re not really as good are they?

You’re just not recognising cleanliness of the response as a factor.
I wouldn't call this Nan-6 good either.

What do you mean with cleanliness? On the FR graph Amir wrotes: "Odd small variations in response" (which aren't even corrected with EQ). -> you can also clearly see that on the graph.
You get a better FR target matching if you EQ the Sundara, compared to the EQ'd Nan-6. I would say it's even audible.

I don't have the time for searching, but i'm pretty sure, you can get better target matching with EQ, with a lot of other (and also cheaper) headphones.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a few, quick from my memory, but i think there are many others too:
Hifiman HE400SE
Hifiman Sundara
AKG K... something
Sennheiser HD5xx/6xx series
The first two shows more resonances in the response and more right to left variation.

Only the Sennheiser HD650s can compare to this in terms of response.
Yeah, you need to use EQ with almost all headphones to get the best out of them, and I don't particularly like the look of jagged frequency response of the Nan-6. My intuition tells me an EQ'd HD560s would be superior to an EQ'd Nan-6, in my experience smoothness of frequency response, low distortion in the bass and angled drivers/pads with spacious earcups are the way forward. I don't like the high Q sharp variations in the frequency response of the Nan-6 (the fine grass look). I talked about it in this post so I don't reshash it (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-6-planar-headphone-review.34490/post-1204088 ). I think there would be plenty of headphones that could equal or surpass this headphone.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@FreaK Just because EQ can improve the overal response doesn't really mean you can erase high Q resonances that headphones have. Personally I don't see any cheap headphones surpassing the Nan-6 in that regard. we're not as sensitive to small wiggles.

1655219108093.png

1655219186981.png

cheapmessiah

Isnt susvara as "jaggedy" on its FR?

derKoekje

So I contacted the owner today who is readying his latest batch. I asked him about amp pairings and he recommended a power amp like the Topping LA-90. I understand where he's coming from but it's kind of overkill, right?

He did mention his new headphones will be announced in July though.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I contacted the owner today who is readying his latest batch. I asked him about amp pairings and he recommended a power amp like the Topping LA-90. I understand where he's coming from but it's kind of overkill, right?

He did mention his new headphones will be announced in July though.
I wouldn't call that overkill. I've used an Emotiva mini-x to power my He-6 in the past and it wasn't like I wasn't turning the power knob. If these are the same sensitivity, you'll have good dynamic peak ability with a low power amp like that.

Dial

I have a Sennheiser HD 203 and after listening to many more expensive models I have remained faithful to it. The only problem is the foam that is falling apart on the left side (so I put the earphone cover that came with it) and a slight lack of bass (plus the non-detachable wire). In the past I had two Koss (phase 2+2 and porta pro), not terrible.

FreaK

@FreaK Just because EQ can improve the overal response doesn't really mean you can erase high Q resonances that headphones have. Personally I don't see any cheap headphones surpassing the Nan-6 in that regard. we're not as sensitive to small wiggles.

View attachment 212714

View attachment 212716
(sorry for the late answer)
Sure, but the two Hifiman's FR still looks smoother for me. Also there is the very uneven channel response around 2-3k, which you can't correct..
Based on measurements, i would still choose the two Hifiman's over the NAN-6.

I have the HE400se (and just sold the GoldPlanar GL2000), but i'm looking for something else, with better comfort (bigger cups). I'm already missing the great comfort of the GL2000, and getting the feeling that i made a mistake by selling it.

Attachments

• 1656311957601.png
    1656311957601.png
    248.9 KB · Views: 61

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How can I tell if my amp can drive these to a satisfactory level (Topping EX5)?

When the sound turns 'nasty' at levels you want to listen to the amp is not capable of driving it loud enough but perfectly capable of driving it at lower levels.

Only when you want it to still sound great at high SPL or with massive bass boosts you are going to need (MUCH) more powerful amps.
No point in looking for amps that just double or have 1.5x more output power. You will need several times more power in that case.

When you can turn up the volume control all the way up, the sound still is not turning nasty, and you desire more loudness look for an amp with a higher gain.

The hifiman and NAN-6 require quite a bit of voltage swing (output power) and thus also gain as these headphones are quite insensitive.

FreaK

Big price here.... Not sure about these $1k+ headphones :/
I ended up buying a Drop DCA Aeon Closed X, It was $394 with shipping to Europe. It has much better target compliance, and its easy to EQ to the target.

deafenears

Forum Donor
Looks like there's a new Nan-7 that's just been released. The drivers look a bit like the HiFiMAN Susvara.

Try this link:

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
link attempts to open a login screen.

00CAFC60D24C4EB6A5684A034504BB32.jpg

cheapmessiah

I like the cups, would be nice to see some independent FR graphs, but, looking at that 14 ohm and 100db/v (89db/w) doesnt look like annything I know at the moment.

The price is similar to HE-6se, so kind of expensive to buy from western world without any kind of review.

okok

some is making knock off of the stax and price very high

called es1a or something

peterq

The material cost of nan7 is higher than nan6 but it's still not so-called stealth magnet in hifiman. Susvara is still a very special TOTL headphone.
The weight is still high comparing to hd800, this is the reason I give up all planer headphones.

Top Bottom