• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Name the one best sounding song on your system?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So what's the one song you think sounds the best in your current system? You don't have to like the song. I guess this is mine - it sounds fantastic AND I really really also like the song :)

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
^ This sounds pretty great as well

EDIT: ...as do many other songs from her as well, at least the top tracks on Tidal. Thanks!

DKT88

^ This sounds pretty great as well

EDIT: ...as do many other songs from her as well, at least the top tracks on Tidal. Thanks!
I like the Yello song you suggest, I haven't heard this band before, gonna find a cd version. I get some Bowie in his Eno collaboration vibes.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
The CD track and the streaming version is so much better than the youtube version
One good version is the Allison Krauss, A Hundred Miles Or More: A Collection
Whiskey Lullaby.

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
^ Yes it indeed is, especially the very first notes when the song starts. Thanks!

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
I like the Yello song you suggest, I haven't heard this band before, gonna find a cd version. I get some Bowie in his Eno collaboration vibes.

You are in for a treat, if you haven't heard Yello before! :)

ripvw

Forum Donor
I Will Remember by Toto on their Tambu album.

system: 2018 27" iMac running Tidal, Khadas Tone Board via USB, JDS Labs Atom, Sennheiser HD600

The percussion sounds are amazing and the overall clarity and detail is exceptional. The Atom drives the HD600s effortlessly and the sound seems to emerge from a black background. No noise or distortion that I can hear at about 1 o'clock on the volume control in low gain. IMO the Tidal version sounds light-years better than the YouTube video shown above...

This track was one of several used by Sean Olive in the AVS Forum comparison between the JBL M2s and the Revel Salon 2:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-s...iewed-speakers-ever-made-13.html#post54628948

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ootout-between-jbl-m2-and-revel-salon-2.1844/

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have loads of songs that sound great.
Without exception these have a decent to high DR rating and come from reputable labels.
Call it "audiophile demonstration quality recordings'.
All of these sound great.

The music that sounds poorer is by definition 'mainstream' pop albums and are troubled by loudness wars.
One can use EQ or certain coloration to 'gloss it over' but you can still easily hear shortcomings.
Less so with BT speakers or in the car for instance.

Asking for the 'best sounding song' is also including a personal preference for music genres.

Last edited:
OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Speaking of femal vocalists, try this one (on Tidal)

graz_lag

Major Contributor
The four Dali CDs "In Admiration of Music"
#1 #2 #3 #4
Not bouth the 5th one yet ...
https://www.discogs.com/fr/label/922856-The-Dali-CD

R-7639979-1445715147-9887.jpeg.jpg

Duckeenie

Could pick any song on this album really but I like this one the best.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Steve Winwood, Back in the High Life, Back in the High Life Again, CD, 1986. Low noise floor, good dynamic range, mastered and mixed well.

I'm not particular a Winwood fan but his recordings are of very good quality.

Not including a YouTube link because it wouldn't come close to the original, uncompressed Red Book version.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Son of a Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack. Her voice is just incredible.

She sure could belt it out!

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Alphaville - A Victory of Love: very good production, cleanly separated instruments with sharp transients and a nice stereo use.
Rush - Vital Signs: another very well produced album.
Mütiilation - Possessed and Immortal: I've found that very raw and lo-fi black metal paradoxically benefits from good hardware (well, this album/band at least, there's more than one way to be lo-fi). The genre is also almost devoid of ultra compression and modern "commercial" practices.
Comus - The Bite: a case where the remaster was really worth the qualifier.
Type O Negative - Black No. 1
Caravan - Golf Girl
etc...

In general, I think there's two categories here: the very well produced stuff with low distortion to begin with (e.g. not hard rock/metal) or something like symphonies, where very good hardware can shine by being necessary to entangle the very dense instrument soundscape.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Moving Pictures was a great Rush album. I suspect that the band members know a thing or two about recording...

McFly

Avratz - Infected Mushroom. Your system will need to get down to 20ish hz

Top Bottom