• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Nova Integrated Amp Media Player

MBroadus

Good Morning,

Thinking of purchasing the Naim Uniti Nova Integrated Amp Media Player and see that it uses the Burr-Brown PCM1791A chip and would like to know where I can find a review and/or measurements of this chip? Thank you!

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The chip used hardly matters, its about the implementation.

Reactions: wje

Lao Lu

Good Morning,

Thinking of purchasing the Naim Uniti Nova Integrated Amp Media Player and see that it uses the Burr-Brown PCM1791A chip and would like to know where I can find a review and/or measurements of this chip? Thank you!
A fellow aficionado at our school bought one for his desktop and it is beautiful and functional; perhaps you may find yourself convinced if you know that he has a Ph.D in physics from Stony Brook and he did his homework before buying ( he uses the Chord Mojo for his headphone listening)...I have heard it driving some high efficiency Japanese speakers and it sounds very good. If I did not have ATC loudspeakers I would definitely consider it.
Good Morning,

Good Morning,

Good Morning,

OP
MBroadus

MBroadus

A fellow aficionado at our school bought one for his desktop and it is beautiful and functional; perhaps you may find yourself convinced if you know that he has a Ph.D in physics from Stony Brook and he did his homework before buying ( he uses the Chord Mojo for his headphone listening)...I have heard it driving some high efficiency Japanese speakers and it sounds very good. If I did not have ATC loudspeakers I would definitely consider it.

Yes, I've been lusting after it for over a year now and I heard the price is about to drop.

wje

Forum Donor
Greetings from the Fairfax area. What kind of price drop is being considered? It still seems like a lot of coin for an "all in one" with 80 w.p.c. Personally, I'd opt for the Cambridge CX81 and CXN (V2), which you could most likely get the pair for the $2,000 - $2,200 range. Not trying to sway your decision, but just pointing out some alternative options. What speakers do you currently own, or plan to use with the Naim?

OP
MBroadus

MBroadus

Greetings from the Fairfax area. What kind of price drop is being considered? It still seems like a lot of coin for an "all in one" with 80 w.p.c. Personally, I'd opt for the Cambridge CX81 and CXN (V2), which you could most likely get the pair for the $2,000 - $2,200 range. Not trying to sway your decision, but just pointing out some alternative options. What speakers do you currently own, or plan to use with the Naim?

Hello neighbor,

A buddy of mine who has the Nova indicated that it dropped to $5990 and its a hefty 80 watts via class A/B amps. I'll be using the Nova with an Anthem AVR and Focal Aria 936 speakers. Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not a fan of Cambridge products. After some thought, I may go separates (Server > DAC > Streamer) but I still need to do some research.

mika91

Hi,

I plan to get an Uniti for the familly living-room.
I need some helps to understand the few measurements I found on the web, because I don't know how to interpret them.

In this 'stereophile' review, the conclusion is:
the Naim Uniti Nova's measured performance reveals it to be well sorted
Strange, it's not what I understood from the article.
  • overheating while pre-test
  • mediocre analog input (event if I don't care)
  • suspition of high-rate downsampling

In this other hi-fi world review, in the "measured performance" section, they use terms such as:
  • insufficient
  • mediocre
  • hard band limited
  • unimpressive
  • noise was the issue
And it gets 5 stars !
I know it's the atom and not the nova, but I guess digital section should be the same on both units

So overall, how the uniti performs if we accept the "input hard band limit"?
thanks

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$2600 for a refurb - using a quick search

will the ease of use and looks be worth $1500 or more to you?

there are lower cost ways to do this and you could put the $$ into room tmt.s or speakers or source material

mika91

I don't know if your post if for me..

Whatever, I'm looking for a little atom for my family system, and yes, ease of use is a major criteria.

For 1300/1400€ (refurb), sure I'll pay more than my current home-office RME + Ncore system for "lesser" sound quality, but for my family, especially 2 and 4 years old children, the uniti is plug & play.
No need to dozen of wires, no need to remember a startup sequence (source, preamp, amp), full smartphone integration (you launch Spotify and it'll play on the Naim, you can even control the volume), no worry about ground loop, hmm, plop...
Just seat and enjoy.

And because the system is in my living room, room treatment is not an option.
My speakers are more than enough quality for me (5000€ speakers), and no need to spend $ on source materials: only streaming/upnp and TV optical out for our needs.

Whatever, posting on ASR, my main concern is about measurements and technical stuffs.

EDIT: @Wes: just to clarify, I'm not annoyed by your post ^^
I didn't buy the atom 3 months ago because I found it too expensive for what it offers...
I went with the RME+Ncore, but it's not plug&play enough for my children, so I have to find another option

Last edited:
Reactions: Wes
Top Bottom