• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom vs Cambridge Evo

bigLP

Forum Donor
I had my xs-2 fail twice. I did not possess it for 5 out of the first 18 months I owned it. Reed relays and something in the output section. The distributor was difficult to work with. When I went above customer service and talked to some of the "brass" the customer service got worse. The guy that is one of the top 3 in North America said to me, "These are complicated devices, thats why they have warranties. I just talked to a gentleman with a failed Statement PreAmp, we are going to service it just like yours. We cant just replace every failed unit" I was asking for a replacement unit, not a repair. I even offered to pay a restocking fee. I sold it, my nap100, phono section and my unitiqute2 which I was using just as a streamer with amp section turned off and into a 2qute DAC. I do miss that stuff for the sound(not neutral) and the streamer interface, but I vote with my feet. If I spend 8000 I expect some customer service. I may have been a bit rash, but looking at the naim labels would get me mad and prevent my enjoyment of music. There is some regret though.
Now I rock Schiit and ATI differential ncore along with some vintage mac, pioneer and denon stuff.

AudioMax

Hi everybody! Comparing the devices I've read a review that for the Naim points out the internal buffer and new memory, that make the Uniti Atom able to store up to five minutes of data, which means a lower chance of interruption of the signal in streaming".
In your opinion, has Cambridge Evo similar features?
Thank you!
Massimo

asishn

I preordered an EVO 75 a week ago and am sending it back to the dealer for credit and considering the NOVA against Cambridge Edge W and NQ.

I am a Cambridge fan for over 3 years - have had the CXA 80 integrated amp paired with CXNv2 and Azur 851N streamers and have enjoyed their sound signature from their propriety class XA amps. The 851N and is far superior to CXNv2 in sound quality.

In contrast, the EVO 75 is disappointing. In terms of features and design, the EVO is a winner. However, with sound, the EVO uses an off the shelf Ncore Class D amplifier which sounds flat. It's missing the depth clarity and bass which I always got with other Cambridge.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone tried the HDMI ARC connection yet?

I am thinking of getting one to use with the TV. HDMI ARC tends to have the most compatibility issues...

BigSmurf

The new Evo looks nice. I have an M10 which also uses nCore. Hence I suspect that they will sound similar - clean and "boringly neutral" which is a quality for me.
The Evo has more inputs and headphone than the M10, great but not important to me. It has a remote in the box, I was annoyed about lacking one in my M10 box. I bought the Bluesound remote, works well.
I feel that the Evo and the Atom lack one killer feature of the M10: an advanced room correction system like Dirac. For many people a room correction system would be a noticeable upgrade. Of course ideally you work on speaker position and room treatment first so that Dirac (or similar) only needs to do a bit of fine-tuning, but judging from photos of systems, far from everyone does that/is able to do that. In my case, it made my bass a little more clean, what is not to like. I will never buy an amp anymore that does not come with room correction processing.
I have no idea about the software quality of Naim vs Bluesound (Nad) vs Cambridge. I can only say that I have no issues with Bluesound, it offers everything I need in an easy way, and I already extended with a small blue sound Flex 2i speaker for the bedroom etc.

Last edited:

symphara

I’d also look at the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. I think it’s more powerful than the Naim, it has HT bypass (which the EVO lacks), and of course, RoomPerfect. I read nothing but good things about it.

BigSmurf

I’d also look at the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. I think it’s more powerful than the Naim, it has HT bypass (which the EVO lacks), and of course, RoomPerfect. I read nothing but good things about it.
I found it interesting, did not hear it though. A friend has an older Lyngdorf with Roomperfect and it is wonderful. In my case I love the big touchscreen of the nad with album art, etc. which would also charm me on the evo.

curiouspeter

The new Evo looks nice. I have an M10 which also uses nCore. Hence I suspect that they will sound similar - clean and "boringly neutral" which is a quality for me.
The Evo has more inputs and headphone than the M10, great but not important to me. It has a remote in the box, I was annoyed about lacking one in my M10 box. I bought the Bluesound remote, works well.
Regarding inputs, next to ethernet I use coax from Opportunity and optical from the TV, I need to use all the inputs of my 10 year old full hd tv, cannot use the one for ARC towards the amp. Positive is of course that optical works perfectly without sync issues. will try hdmi arc when i nee to replace the tv.
I feel that the Evo and the Atom lack one killer feature of the M10: an advanced room correction system like Dirac. For many people a room correction system would be a noticeable upgrade. Of course ideally you work on speaker position and room treatment first so that Dirac (or similar) only needs to do a bit of fine-tuning, but judging from photos of systems, far from everyone does that/is able to do that. In my case, it made my bass a little more clean, what is not to like. I will never buy an amp anymore that does not come with room correction processing.
I have no idea about the software quality of Naim vs Bluesound (Nad) vs Cambridge. I can only say that I have no issues with Bluesound, it offers everything I need in an easy way, and I already extended with a small blue sound Flex 2i speaker for the bedroom etc.

For a lifestyle product, I think Cambridge dropped the ball on the physical dimensions. The EVO is just too large compared to the Lyngdorf and the M10. A product like this (especially with HDMI) is going to be placed on (or in) the media console. Why is it so deep? Many cabinets are less than 18 inches deep and they will struggle to hold the EVO with all the plugs.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a Cambridge fan for over 3 years - have had the CXA 80 integrated amp paired with CXNv2 and Azur 851N streamers and have enjoyed their sound signature from their propriety class XA amps
Only one of these three products is an amp and it is regular Class AB until proved otherwise.

However, with sound, the EVO uses an off the shelf Ncore Class D amplifier which sounds flat.
Sure thing. As any amp should "sound" anyhow. That why these are called amplifiers and not tone controls.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Looking at a post up the page a NAIM STATEMENT PREAMP FAILING????????????

Sorry - I'm truly shocked, but I suppose Rolls Royces or similar go wrong as well, but at least these things go out all weathers and get shocked with the suspension and so on... All the Statememt preamp needs to do is sit there looking like something out of a sci-fi film and glow enticingly...

Loooop

Hello everyone. I was lurking in this forum for some time now. :)

Just to say that in a few days I get the Evo 150 to replace my Naim Superuniti, which is by far the worst (and most expensive) hifi component I have ever owned. Never again Naim.

ti33er

I nearly bought a NAIM with my 805D3, then read all the failure complaints of the UNITI range!!!

Westpalmbeach

I’m glad I read all the posts, now I’m completely confused.
I want a all in one unit with a great graphics display
Silver face and less than 2k

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This whole notion of refusing to buy an amplifier until one has "heard it" is IMO absurd, unless you're listening to it drive the speakers you've decided to buy (or already own).

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I am a Cambridge fan for over 3 years - have had the CXA 80 integrated amp paired with CXNv2 and Azur 851N streamers and have enjoyed their sound signature from their propriety class XA amps. The 851N and is far superior to CXNv2 in sound quality.

The CXA series (old and new) are only class AB.

The edge series is XA.

The Evo 75 has only 75 watt. From my experience a class D amp will need around double the watt of what you get from a class A/B amp to sound equally good.

Loooop

The Evo 75 has only 75 watt. From my experience a class D amp will need around double the watt of what you get from a class A/B amp to sound equally good.

That's 50% more than the Naim Uniti Atom's real 50 watt.

Uniti Atom (about 50 watt 8 ohm):
65101-naim-uniti-atom-audiocompl-lab3.jpg

In any case, as soon as I receive the Evo 150 I will make a comparison with my Naim Superuniti (it has the same amplification section as the Naim Uniti Nova) using my Focal Aria 948, which are not exactly an easy load (minimum impedance 2.5 ohm).

Uniti Nova (about 100 watt 8 ohm):
60601-naim-unity-nova-dub-lab3.jpg

Evo 150 (about 150 watt 8 ohm):
d2FjPTcwNXgxLjQ1MA==_src_65097-cambridge-audio-evo-150-audiocompl-lab3.jpg

Snoopy

Major Contributor
some loudspeakers drop often down to 2.x ohm. Seems like class D amps really struggle with that.
just google for "Kef Q150 , Kef Meta + NAD"
and look for the reviews with the desktop sized amplifiers.

Even some reviewers mention this with the NAD M10 and some other more expensive class D amps.

i had only a relatively cheap Yamaha class D amp (wxa50) with 55-60 watt into 8 ohm and I was constantly at max volume for movies , and it wasn't even loud.

changed to a Cambridge CXA 81 and it's no comparison.
maybe it's the better power supply...

i have no problem with class D amps and I'm sure most more expensive ones are pretty good. But most people that get hypex amps from audiophonics for example go for the 2 X 250 watt stereo amps or mono blocks.

I wish the Evo 75 was available as streaming device without the amp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom