• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 277 68.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 92 22.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 50321

Please dial back the aggression. No need to be instantly hostile. On both sides of the conversation. Thank you for your understanding and assistance.
Genuinely not meaning to be aggressive.
Just suggesting some listening. Of course if that's not what this forum is about then I apologise.

elevensheep

And you seriously think there is a single company in the world whose primary concern isn't profit. Thete are those that will have fancy mission statements saying they think about you the consumer. Yep. Just so long as you're a paying customer. Naim included.

Agree that profit is the main objective, and best way to achieve long term profitability is by consistently delivering quality products.

Private equity is more interested in short term profits as they typically don’t own assets long term. The incentive structure of PEs motivate them to cut corners to reduce “costs” (eg RD, QA etc) so as to boost short term profits to the detriment of long term viability of the company. They don’t care as they don’t plan to own the assets long term.

D

Deleted member 50321

Everybody listens to music with their ears (and brains), but people here are well aware how easy they can be fooled, biased, and misguided. That´s why measurements and controlled listening, ABX testing and the like play a huge role here.
I get that. But then I would hope that the final decision is based on what any item of gear actually sounds like. I'm not biased towards any manufacturer.

Trell

Major Contributor
Genuinely not meaning to be aggressive.
Just suggesting some listening. Of course if that's not what this forum is about then I apologise.

Members here are really listening to music, in general, and more than a few are either make their own or is recording/mixing/mastering, or both actually. We just don't want our equipment to have a "tone" of their own, unless we decide so.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Must be if all you're bothered about is how much a needle moves. Try listening to some music instead. It's fun. And very relaxing.
Oh we do, we really do... It's just that we like our music pure and not slightly dirtied by the gear we use (although some 'dirtying' obviously happens). the only way to check for said 'dirt' and to bring often complacent makers to account is to measure what the gear is actually doing (and a multi-tone test really does help as it kind-of replicates a music signal as far as the amp's concerned - an amp amplifies a complex electrical AC signal, it doesn't care if it's 'music' or not...). This little box is 'good enough' for the purpose (not always as a main system component) but these days away from the 'leftover 1980's dealers' around and about the UK, things have moved on and 'just good enough' doesn't cut it at this money now.

I HAVE used one and it's very nice indeed to operate. maybe that's all it needs to be for the people who buy it? Got to say that what is now vintage B&O is making sense to me nearly forty years on (whatever the related 2300 head-unit evolved into and 6000/8000 active slim speakers which 'sounded' so good in people's homes if not so effective in the store) and although new is out of the question, good used B&O units are available here and I'm wondering if I could live with them and not feel cheated sonically... I'm still rooted in legacy separates but a day will come to look at condensing the rig down.

Last edited:

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I get that. But then I would hope that the final decision is based on what any item of gear actually sounds like. I'm not biased towards any manufacturer.
Amir almost always finishes his reviews with listening tests. There is plenty of gear that measures badly and as a consequence does also sound not good. On the other hand, there have still to be discovered devices that excell in every measurement, yet do not sound good ( i.e. neutral). That only exists in subjetivist circles.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
THE GEAR (speakers/headphones excepted) shouldn't 'sound' at all and the best gear doesn't in my experience. This allows THE MUSIC to flow more freely and 'more cleanly' to use a well hackneyed term of old...

al2002

Forum Donor
Quite possibly.
Yorkshireman, I am neither a moderator nor an administrator here, but as a forum member I believe there is plenty of room for room all points of view. No reason to leave if that is what you were contemplating.

However, It is fair to say that anectodal accounts of sound quality, if they they are based on uncontrolled listening tests, will produce stronger reactions here than on other forums, e.g. pinkfishmedia, where there also a long, ongoing, thread about Amir’s test of the Atom, and the majority of posts seem to come from the subjective school.

FWIW, based on my own double blind tests over the years (using a QSC ABX box) differences between decent electronics are relatively minor, to the point where they are not worth worrying about compared to speaker - room problems. Hence I’d rather buy a good. 20k speaker and a good $500 amp than a 20 k amp and 500 buck speakers, or even spend 10k on each.

Last edited:

Engine

Yorkshireman, I am neither a moderator nor an administrator here, but as a forum member I believe there is plenty of room for room all points of view. No reason to leave if that is what you were contemplating.

However, It is fair to say that anectodal accounts of sound quality, if they they are based on uncontrolled listening tests, will produce stronger reactions here than on other forums, e.g. pinkfishmedia, where there also a long, ongoing, thread about Amir’s test of the Atom, and the majority of posts seem to come from the subjective school.

FWIW, based on my own double blind tests over the years (using a QSC ABX box) differences between decent electronics are relatively minor, to the point where they are not worth worrying about compared to speaker - room problems. Hence I’d rather buy a good. 20k speaker and a good $500 amp than a 20 k amp and 500 buck speakers, or even spend 10k on each.
I think you're wrong, an expensive speaker plus bad electronics still gives bad sound.
Good and cheap electronica is only available from the Brothers Grimm.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point in my 50 year audio journey I’ve more convinced that price does not equal great sound.

What I might have paid 20k for 10 to 20 years ago can be bettered with a minimum investment as little as 6k.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you're wrong, an expensive speaker plus bad electronics still gives bad sound.
I think you are wrong, especially as you are talking of "bad electronics", whereas it was talked about a "cheap" ($500) amp. Confusing theses things is a telltale sign of a misguided subjectivist.

Last edited:

al2002

Forum Donor

Please read what is actually written before responding: “good $500 amp”, double blind listening tests, etc.

I suggest you look on the used market for that that good 500 dolar amp. A component does not have to cost an arm and a leg in order to be good. That should be clear if you’ve been following the test reports published here.

D

Deleted member 50321

Oops!! Anyway. I paid £1400 (used but mint) for the Atom and £1000 for the speakers. And I like how it performs so I personally am a happy bunny.
At the risk of causing more palpitations I'd like to make a small suggestion.
How about listening to the gear before doing the science bit. That way the results,good or bad, will not bias the listening.
As has been said by other forum members, some of the scientifically proven "faults" are inaudible anyway, but those so called bad results will definitely influence how a listener will perceive the equipment.
Just a thought.
I'll get my coat.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Audibility is always the issue but personally I would prefer to buy well designed equipment ie with no ‘faults’.
Keith

Engine

I suggest you look on the used market for that that good 500 dolar amp. A component does not have to cost an arm and a leg in order to be good. That should be clear if you’ve been following the test reports published here.
for $500 you can buy a used, low-end amplifier with dried out electrolytes, ready for a complete expensive refresh. Or even worse, a new plastic amplifer (eg Marantz entry level). Pairing it with serious and probably demanding $20k speakers is pure exhibitionism, those amps deserve proper speakers too (plastic ones from the nearby supermarket).

al2002

Forum Donor
for $500 you can buy a used, low-end amplifier with dried out electrolytes, ready for a complete expensive refresh. Or even worse, a new plastic amplifer (eg Marantz entry level). Pairing it with serious and probably demanding $20k speakers is pure exhibitionism, those amps deserve proper speakers too (plastic ones from the nearby supermarket).

Not at all. Of all the elements in the reproductions chain, electronics are the most highly developed at this point in time; they’ve been a done deal since the 1980s, IOW they are strongest link, while OTOH the speaker-room combo is the weakest. So, rationally, it makes sense to maximize expenditure on speakers and DSP. And room treatment if the wife allows it.

Well, for $500 you can buy an amp without age related faults if you know what you are doing and shop carefully, I’ve had no trouble doing so. Look at old test reports in magazines and on the web to see which gear is worth pursuing and what should be avoided. Look around and you ought to be able to get Hafler 500s or NAD 2200s - to pick a few random names and models from the golden age of audio - for well lunder 500. A couple of years ago I got a DH 500 and DH 110 in working for very little money from an audiophile who was ‘upgrading‘ to tubes. A Hypex 502 MP was listed on DIYaudio for around $250 a little while ago. I’ve not been in the market for some time, so it’s possible post-Covid prices may be higher, but certainly $1.50/ low distortion W into 8 Ohms is a good price target for a power amp :).

With the money you save, you could buy one of these to verify the operation of your electronics:

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

al2002

Forum Donor
No argument here. It’s your money and your preference, so a perfectly valid choice. As long as you are satisfied, that’s all that matters.

Edit: What speakers do you use with the Uniti Atom? 25W is quite limiting.
Oops!! Anyway. I paid £1400 (used but mint) for the Atom and £1000 for the speakers. And I like how it performs so I personally am a happy bunny.
At the risk of causing more palpitations I'd like to make a small suggestion.
How about listening to the gear before doing the science bit. That way the results,good or bad, will not bias the listening.
As has been said by other forum members, some of the scientifically proven "faults" are inaudible anyway, but those so called bad results will definitely influence how a listener will perceive the equipment.
Just a thought.
I'll get my coat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom