• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 277 68.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 92 22.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%

• Total voters

GiBo61

The speaker in my system is a Monitor Audio SILVER 500 (6G), and my amp is a naim superunit. So I don't own an ATOM but at least the superunit might be better than the ATOM.

In my subjective listening, the PURIFI always had a cold, methylated resonance in the upper frequencies. But with naim superunit, the situation is the opposite and the music becomes much more enjoyable.

I think SINAD is not a perception of quality in listening to music. if it was, my purifi amp would be the first amp in my system right now.
A part from the "methylated resonance" (I work in the biomedical field and this is the meaning of methylation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylation) I guess I understand what you are saying. Usually class D amplifiers are more analytical and that translates in a sound that is often described as "cold" (a forward and more distinct perception of medium-high frequencies). I guess that sound can be less pleasant for some users, and that the final results mostly depend on the speakers, the room and the room treatment. I must say that my Sabaj A30a full-digital class D amplifier does not sound "cold" at all (I would define it neutral) while my Denon DRA 800H class A/B receiver is probably more warm (more gentle with medium high frequencies). Not sure which one I like better (it mostly depends on the music I'm playing) although the Sabaj A30a is supposed to have much better measurements than the Denon DRA 800H (about 15 db difference in SINAD for the amplification section).

Last edited:
Reactions: d3l

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just add it to the list of truly non-sensical subjectivist crapahoola. How's about Methylated Plankton?!?!

Galliardist

Major Contributor
The speaker in my system is a Monitor Audio SILVER 500 (6G), and my amp is a naim superunit. So I don't own an ATOM but at least the superunit might be better than the ATOM.

In my subjective listening, the PURIFI always had a cold, methylated resonance in the upper frequencies. But with naim superunit, the situation is the opposite and the music becomes much more enjoyable.

I think SINAD is not a perception of quality in listening to music. if it was, my purifi amp would be the first amp in my system right now.
I can’t tell what you mean by “methylated resonance” either.

And I can’t find a measurement for your speaker.

However, it seems that the entire 6G series had problematic treble and if you are reporting an issue with the upper frequencies that could be expected.

There are a few potential technical and psychoacoustic reasons why you don’t hear the issue with the Naim. It would take blind testing and some detailed measurements to find the cause.

Unless you are ready and able to do all of that, just plug the Naim in and enjoy the music.

welder911

Helle all, methylated resonance >
Actually what I mean here is a mutation that is not true at higher frequencies. It seems to me that high frequencies come out of a pressure cooker.

Trondi

Helle all, methylated resonance >
Actually what I mean here is a mutation that is not true at higher frequencies. It seems to me that high frequencies come out of a pressure cooker.
Hmmm, methylated spirit fumes come to mind here Welder911.

Good ventilation is always a bonus in listening to good music, and understanding some folks comments on this thread.

BelgianJoey

After seeing this test result I knew that my Atom had to go. I had no real complaints about the sound quality it produced (other than audible hiss when no music is playing) nor about the functionality but just couldn’t accept playing over a DAC with only 11 bits resolution in the multitone result. Imagine that I tried to hear the difference between lossless Apple Music and high res on Tidal and Qobuz. Thinking now that I spent that much money on a product with universal acclaim over the entire internet I had something SOTA in house. I never had a chance! Thankfully I never concluded that I could hear a difference.
I sold it today. I got a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 for about the same price that I got for my Atom. I don’t know if it measures a lot better but it has Roomperfect and that really improves sound quality in an audible way.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After seeing this test result I knew that my Atom had to go. I had no real complaints about the sound quality it produced (other than audible hiss when no music is playing) nor about the functionality but just couldn’t accept playing over a DAC with only 11 bits resolution in the multitone result. Imagine that I tried to hear the difference between lossless Apple Music and high res on Tidal and Qobuz. Thinking now that I spent that much money on a product with universal acclaim over the entire internet I had something SOTA in house. I never had a chance! Thankfully I never concluded that I could hear a difference.
I sold it today. I got a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 for about the same price that I got for my Atom. I don’t know if it measures a lot better but it has Roomperfect and that really improves sound quality in an audible way.
I know its a ego crusher. I had to do the same with all my Linn gear. Thankfully the feeling of being hosed passes quickly.

lordhumungous

I have a Naim Uniti Atom and I really dislike the high noise floor that creates such audible hiss. I am certain that this is what significantly reduces the resolution on this unit.

Hey it looks great though.

Just listen to a reliable Topping PA5 , that I have too , and its not too hard to figure out which unit has the better resolution .

I always get a kick out of audiophiles who say certain dacs or amps sound "thin" compared to tube amps or other dacs.

The thinness is the much higher resolution. Period. As an audiophile for over three decades I can tell you that distortion to some people
is pleasing to the ears.

Steve Guttenberg has a terrific You Tube on a friend who says : I Don't trust me ears ! I dont think i do either . Here's the link :

Its so true IMO.

Joffy1780

I regularly visit the forum, don't worry!
And it's always a pleasure to be in contact with enthusiasts, I just limit myself sometimes to avoid that my advices seem like advertising in disguise, which is not at all the goal. But given my position, I can completely understand that it could be interpreted as such.

But it is possible with our audio streamer (or others) to play tracks stored locally on your audio system. The streamer can detect your entire library in the application and play it without audio loss on your audio system.

Feel free to come back to me if you need more information, I don't want to divert the focus of the initial post to our brand, this was not the purpose of my message
Are you still using the Linkplay software or have you developed your own?

Joffy1780

We have developed our own software, it has a demo mode that you can test without even having a product if you want to discover the interface and the possibilities: https://octavio.fr/pages/download-app
Thank you very much, seems very nice. I take it the virtuose app is the newly developed version, but it seems you still need the legacy app (linkplay version?)
Also, the Octavio Amp seems to be an interesting product. Have you considered sending any of your products in to Amir for review/measurements?

davidminard

Audio Company
Thank you!
I can confirm that the Octavio Virtuoso application is self-sufficient and it is not necessary to have the Linkplay application installed (which we now consider obsolete).
We had indeed sent almost a year ago an Octavio Stream product to Amir but we have no news about a possible test, so we have not yet sent an Octavio Amp product because we are a young startup and we have to make sure that each product is sent for a useful purpose.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We had indeed sent almost a year ago an Octavio Stream product to Amir but we have no news about a possible test, so we have not yet sent an Octavio Amp product because we are a young startup and we have to make sure that each product is sent for a useful purpose.
Just in case, you've got another person available to review the Octavio Stream... in France. ;)

as-lot

Perhaps it's already been covered in these 36 pages, in which case my apologies, but is it possible to say whether it would be better to use a good DAC into the analog in, or better to use (the same DAC) into one of the digital inputs? Or won't it make much of a difference because everything is digitized anyway?

lordhumungous

Perhaps it's already been covered in these 36 pages, in which case my apologies, but is it possible to say whether it would be better to use a good DAC into the analog in, or better to use (the same DAC) into one of the digital inputs? Or won't it make much of a difference because everything is digitized anyway?
Everything is digitized.

Top Bottom