• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 280 68.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 93 22.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 21 5.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%

• Total voters

Uguccione

Welcome to ASR..
Thanks.

you may drop these beliefs...
It is not a question of beliefs, I had both and compared them at home: the 80 watts of the Naim sounded much more powerful and undistorted than those of the Denon. In fact, I sold the Denon (with some regrets because it was beautiful) and the Naim is still here with me.

P. S. The speakers were Tandberg Studio Monitors, late 70s speakers quite difficult to drive. The Denon just couldn't do it.

Last edited:

Jimi Floyd

I am an old guy, I am a physicist and a long time music lover with a decent set-up. My computer is connected to my stereo through a good DAC, so can somebody point out which benefit could I have using a streamer? I really cannot understand who would need this kind of boxes, really. Please, enlighten me...

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Naim has never impressed me, seems more rooted in silly audiophilia for marketing at least. Certainly not a particularly good value type item. This review kind of was what I expected of a company like Naim.
All these DIN connector cables and outrageously expensive, multiple, external power supplies always let me feel suspicious.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am an old guy, I am a physicist and a long time music lover with a decent set-up. My computer is connected to my stereo through a good DAC, so can somebody point out which benefit could I have using a streamer? I really cannot understand who would need this kind of boxes, really. Please, enlighten me...
An all-in-one streamer like this allows you to decorate your living room like in the following photograph. Can you imagine a computer, DAC and amplifier in the place of this unit? If you do, such devices are not for you.

07B79862-EA45-47E8-90ED-FD5EEF3695D8.jpeg

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Which AVR has a built in streamer?
All ARCAM AVRs, JBL and AudioControl not only have build in streamer, they are Roon Ready. Same for NAD AVRs, they work with BlueOS app and also are Roon Ready.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

It is not a question of beliefs, I had both and compared them at home: the 80 watts of the Naim sounded much more powerful and undistorted than those of the Denon. In fact, I sold the Denon (with some regrets because it was beautiful) and the Naim is still here with me.

P. S. The speakers were Tandberg Studio Monitors, late 70s speakers quite difficult to drive. The Denon just couldn't do it.
You level-matched the amps? And knowledge of the amps under test was removed?
Else?

And It could well be that the speakers are indeed to drive but the Denon is supposed to be able of high current and low impedance drive...
Still... stay and learn... You will soon realize, that the notions of "thin" and compressed are most often in our minds and, eyes...

Peace

DanielT

Major Contributor
If you want a dedicated computer for your streaming music. But if you can spare a computer, mobile, laptop, tablet and so on when you listen to music, without you then using that gadget, it does not matter.:)

A streamer is just another computer.:)

DMill

Forum Donor
A remote. Looks better on the shelf. A more elegant interface to name a few. What you have is fine if you want just hear great music though.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All ARCAM AVRs, JBL and AudioControl not only have build in streamer, they are Roon Ready. Same for NAD AVRs, they work with BlueOS app and also are Roon Ready.
You have obviously not understood the concept of an all-in-one streamer device. For starters you need a TV in order to use an AVR. Since when listening music requires a TV? And, you need a Room system with a server, which is outside the scope of an all-in-one streamer.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Errm. My Denon plays from Quobuz, Tidal, iOS, Synology, Roon and probably from some more sources, which I don’t use …. Wouldn’t you call this streaming?
Switch off your TV and change the album or source. Then we can talk about it further. Maybe I am wrong and I learn something.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An all-in-one streamer like this allows you to decorate your living room like in the following photograph. Can you imagine a computer, DAC and amplifier in the place of this unit? If you do, such devices are not for you.

View attachment 214643
Why would I want to decorate my living room like that? Audio gear for decoration....interesting concept.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A remote. Looks better on the shelf. A more elegant interface to name a few. What you have is fine if you want just hear great music though.
Change the album or switch between music streaming services with a remote.

DanielT

Major Contributor
As long as we talk about plug and play for sure.

This is what I crave. Okay the blue chassi I would spray with black spray paint. I can do that BUT it needs LINUX! So this with streamer, there is little to think about.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would I want to decorate my living room like that? Audio gear for decoration....interesting concept.
It’s about audio gear which is not intrusive to room decoration. If you don’t care about the concept maybe you may allow that others may?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s about audio gear which is not intrusive to decoration. If you don’t care about the concept maybe you may allow that others may be?

It's not that good looking, though.....neither the gear nor the little of the room I see.

DMill

Forum Donor

View attachment 214643
What a shame this thing didn’t measure better because it really is a lovely little thing to look at.

EDIT: I see beauty is in the eye of the beholder from Chrispy‘s post. I rather think it’s a neat looking little box. :)

Top Bottom