• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD Wireless USB DAC 2 Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 58 29.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 133 67.5%

• Total voters

PeteL

Major Contributor
It’s a USB sound card, and computers are not only desktop or laptop type. iPad is a computer too, so is an iPhone. If they have implemented properly an USB DAC doesn’t require a separate driver. I am hoping that it will work with an iPad.

Open Spotify and/or Apple Music then enter “88” in the search. See the options offered to me. Can you replicate that functionality on a dedicated streamer?
To be honest I doubt it. They would advertise it if it had IOS compatibility. It's not the norm. Maybe.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a USB sound module, and computers are not only desktop or laptop type. iPad is a computer too, so is an iPhone. If they have implemented properly an USB DAC doesn’t require a separate driver. I am hoping that it will work with an iPad.
Is there some deficiencies with the iPad (or iPhone?) built-in audio for needing this USB DAC device?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest I doubt it. They would advertise it if it had IOS compatibility. It's not the norm. Maybe.
There is no reason why it wouldn’t be. As I said before, sound module is a standard USB device type. As a USB disk works with a computer and an iPad I expect this device to work too. But, if it has a non-standard device then it won’t work.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there some deficiencies with the iPad (or iPhone?) built-in audio for needing this USB DAC device?
I want wireless connection to my DAC. Please read my earlier posts for detailed explanation.

PeteL

Major Contributor
There is no reason why it wouldn’t be. As I said before, sound module is a standard USB device type. As a USB disk works with a computer and an iPad I expect this device to work too. But, if it has a non-standard device then it won’t
It's a few years old device The manual only mention PC an Mac. I don't know what receiver chip they use. In XMOS dev, you have modules for this but it's not in the stock firmware. Maybe things are changing. My audio interface by Audient don't support iOS. Do all these Topping or other DACs do? I may be late on this but again, not a new product. There used to be. "mfi" -made for IOS licence, is this all gone?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't intend my comments to be snarky or offensive, just curious as to how you plan on using the DAC 2 within the constraints you yourself have mentioned?
I’m afraid you have failed.

You have also failed to understand what I tried to explain what my problem with a streamer is. Maybe you can read my posts again?

Finally, I have been using the setup listed on my signature for good many years. There’s no future plan. My setup use a USB cable between the DAC and the iPad. Hopefully this NAD will make it wireless.

I also have a NAIM streamer, that I don’t use for the reasons I tried to explain, whose app is often said to be one of the best.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a few years old device The manual only mention PC an Mac. I don't know what receiver chip they use. In XMOS dev, you have modules for this but it's not in the stock firmware. Maybe things are changing. My audio interface by Audient don't support iOS. Do all these Topping or other DACs do? I may be late on this but again, not a new product.
So far I tried at least half a dozen DACs successfully with an iPad.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a few years old device The manual only mention PC an Mac. I don't know what receiver chip they use. In XMOS dev, you have modules for this but it's not in the stock firmware. Maybe things are changing. My audio interface by Audient don't support iOS. Do all these Topping or other DACs do? I may be late on this but again, not a new product. There used to be. "mfi" -made for IOS licence, is this all gone?
Driverless usb sound adapter is a thing. :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

C. Cook

I bought one of these back in January of 2017 frame and remember liking how it sounded in my system at the time. IIRC, I returned it because the wireless functionality wasn't working consistently. Also if I recall correctly, it effectively needed clear line-of-sight between the transmitter and DAC and my room wouldn't let me do that. Every time I got up or someone stepped into the LoS, it would drop the signal. The unit at the time did not accept a native 16/44.1 input source. It only worked for 24/96, which made it unusable for one of my components and Tidal Masters; regular Tidal and Spotify worked fine. I'm sure they've fixed that by now, but maybe not? Given the Burr Brown chips, that would seem like a firmware issue or something.

Last edited:

tjf

I’m afraid you have failed.

You have also failed to understand what I tried to explain what my problem with a streamer is. Maybe you can read my posts again?

Finally, I have been using the setup listed on my signature for good many years. There’s no future plan. My setup use a USB cable between the DAC and the iPad. Hopefully this NAD will make it wireless.

I also have a NAIM streamer, that I don’t use for the reasons I tried to explain, whose app is often said to be one of the best.
OK, I'm glad my failure has prompted you to tell everyone your specific use case for the NAD DAC 2, so now people can see what a possible specific scenario is for using the DAC.

BTW, the Naim App in my opinion is mediocre at best, along with other "high end" streamer Apps I've used (Lumin/Linn, Simaudio "MIND2", Harman, and various UP&P scenarios), it's too bad the better Apps (Sonos and BluOS) are used in mediocre hardware implementations...

ALaylowguy

I want wireless connection to my DAC. Please read my earlier posts for detailed explanation.
Uhm I was thinking... The way this product function from what I saw is that you connect the source (be it a computer, iPad, iPhone...) with the smaller RF transferring device then It will send the data to NAD DAC. The thing is there will be a cable involved in this mission; USB cable for a desktop or OTG cable for a phone. It isn't wireless and quite cumbersome IMO. How about something like a Qudelix 5k with a 3.5mm jack to Dual RCA or a 2.5mm jack to Dual XRL. Well you will not get LDAC with iPad and even then the quality will not be on par with NAD DAC but will be more convenient which I think is your goal.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Ok, so who is going to bring out a balanced version of this, maybe with an optical input, remote and volume control? Then I will be in for sure. :cool:

JSmith

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks as always for the excellent review, Amir.

I’m gonna give it props for its price to performance ratio and for underestimating its DNR and SINAD. But I have to give it drops for its functionality and (expected) obsolescence. I have Roon offering me wireless multi-room streaming via their RAAT protocol at up to 768 PCM and DSD 512, with an endless array of DSP functions; and I could just as soon build five or six RPIs to act as receivers with full control of individual volumes and different songs playing at every node for a comparable price.

I’m not sure I’m ready to applaud manufacturers for simply behaving like reputable citizens and offering truth in advertising and ethics in pricing. And NAD has a long way to go in justifying their prices for whole swaths of their catalog. This modest little thing they surely knew was never going to set the industry on fire, but they’re still charging $6,000 for a surround processor and even more for a streaming amp. Pretty sure there’s some funky accounting going on in their markups there…

Marc v E

Major Contributor
OK, I'm glad my failure has prompted you to tell everyone your specific use case for the NAD DAC 2, so now people can see what a possible specific scenario is for using the DAC.

BTW, the Naim App in my opinion is mediocre at best, along with other "high end" streamer Apps I've used (Lumin/Linn, Simaudio "MIND2", Harman, and various UP&P scenarios), it's too bad the better Apps (Sonos and BluOS) are used in mediocre hardware implementations...
I agree. I think the reason for this is that hardware and software development are 2 seperate things. There are very few companies doing both well. Usually there is 1 main focus and an afterthought.

That's why it's probably a good bet to let the software do all the things necessary (like Roon) and connect it all to good hardware. Or be flexible in software choice with a cheap device like a raspberry pi.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Thanks as always for the excellent review, Amir.

I’m gonna give it props for its price to performance ratio and for underestimating its DNR and SINAD. But I have to give it drops for its functionality and (expected) obsolescence. I have Roon offering me wireless multi-room streaming via their RAAT protocol at up to 768 PCM and DSD 512, with an endless array of DSP functions; and I could just as soon build five or six RPIs to act as receivers with full control of individual volumes and different songs playing at every node for a comparable price.

I’m not sure I’m ready to applaud manufacturers for simply behaving like reputable citizens and offering truth in advertising and ethics in pricing. And NAD has a long way to go in justifying their prices for whole swaths of their catalog. This modest little thing they surely knew was never going to set the industry on fire, but they’re still charging $6,000 for a surround processor and even more for a streaming amp. Pretty sure there’s some funky accounting going on in their markups there…
How can it be a comparable price when your player software alone is already 3 times the price of this, not counting the RPIs, and the DACS? You can have DSP with this too if Roon is your source? Which DAC did you hook up to your PIs to beat price and performance? just curious.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
There is no reason why it wouldn’t be. As I said before, sound module is a standard USB device type. As a USB disk works with a computer and an iPad I expect this device to work too. But, if it has a non-standard device then it won’t work.
Do you have a NAS?
(I'm asking because it seems you don't. Back in the days when I had none I thought music from a computer was a hassle too.)

Top Bottom