• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD T778 Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) Review

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or you could use the internal amps in the T778 for the L/C/R and buy an inexpensive amp to power the height 2 channels.

I agree there should absolutely be an option to reassign more than just 2 channels of the built-in amps.
Thanks @oupee and @nick-v . Agreed at that price point I want the same flexibility as the x8500 to assign each amp as I see fit via software.

My installer is confirming with his dealer as well so I'll likely get the c268 or equivalent for the rear heights. Since it's the exact same Hypex modules. On the bright side it's cheaper to do that then the monolith 3 channel I was going to get for the fronts. And it will be cooler in the cabinet they will live in.

Thanks again!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all. Another question. I am noticing the volume gets quieter over time when watching an Atmos movie to where I have to turn it up again to hear dialog. Specifically I start watching at -30 or -26db volume and then an hour into the movie I find I have turned it up to -16db to hear the dialogue. Then when I go back to the main menu of my FireTV it is too loud or when I restart the AVR it's loud again. Is anyone experiencing this? Is there some default volume limiter set or eco mode set out of the box I need to turn off? The installer has not finished setting up my t778 yet. Have not yet run Dirac due to waiting on external 2ch amp for the rear height or played with the setting. Just has it working so I can use it in the mean time.

Thanks again for the continued support.

nick-v

Hi all. Another question. I am noticing the volume gets quieter over time when watching an Atmos movie to where I have to turn it up again to hear dialog. Specifically I start watching at -30 or -26db volume and then an hour into the movie I find I have turned it up to -16db to hear the dialogue. Then when I go back to the main menu of my FireTV it is too loud or when I restart the AVR it's loud again. Is anyone experiencing this? Is there some default volume limiter set or eco mode set out of the box I need to turn off? The installer has not finished setting up my t778 yet. Have not yet run Dirac due to waiting on external 2ch amp for the rear height or played with the setting. Just has it working so I can use it in the mean time.

Thanks again for the continued support.
What speakers are you using?

If your center channel has lower sensitivity than your Main L/R, you should increase the trim level on the center channel. That might help with the dialog.

I am not experiencing that same problem.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What speakers are you using?

If your center channel has lower sensitivity than your Main L/R, you should increase the trim level on the center channel. That might help with the dialog.

I am not experiencing that same problem.
They are all the same. Monitor Audio cp-iw460x.

I am wondering if it is specific to Atmos decoding or some sort of protection mode over time in the unit since when I exited the movie the sound volume was much louder again. Also when I restarted the receiver the volume level was much louder as well. It was a Netflix movie called The Willoughbys. I did not experience it last night watching The new Cowboy Bebop on Netflix in Atmos. So dunno?

searchandseeking

Good evening all,

I am new to this forum, and currently in to upgrade my home cinema system. I intend to buy the B&W 702 signatures / 705.

AVR- either Marantz SR8015 or the NAD t778.
I trended towards the t778, but I am getting a bit doubtful is that makes sense. I have no real interest to have bugs and need to invest huge amounts of time. Love the design, the touchscreen, and hear a lot of goods things on the sound; however, many feeds about bugs & problems as well.

So, I guess my question is, what would you recommend? 70% TV/ movies, 30% music. I will operate with 5 speakers without SW (WAF). Are the most recent production NADs free of the bugs? Is the sound of the 8015 somewhat on similar level?

Thanks!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good evening all,

I am new to this forum, and currently in to upgrade my home cinema system. I intend to buy the B&W 702 signatures / 705.

AVR- either Marantz SR8015 or the NAD t778.
I trended towards the t778, but I am getting a bit doubtful is that makes sense. I have no real interest to have bugs and need to invest huge amounts of time. Love the design, the touchscreen, and hear a lot of goods things on the sound; however, many feeds about bugs & problems as well.

So, I guess my question is, what would you recommend? 70% TV/ movies, 30% music. I will operate with 5 speakers without SW (WAF). Are the most recent production NADs free of the bugs? Is the sound of the 8015 somewhat on similar level?

Thanks!

For me, the SR8015 is better overall, measure better on ASR anyway and from what I can see, relatively bug free.

nick-v

Having said that. Dirac Live and Roon Ready trumps the slightly worse measured performance (for me).

I just find Dirac Live to provide much better results than Audyssey.

Last edited:

Aron3000

Hi, can anyone tell me how Dolby Volume works at low volume for night time viewing. I have Denon and it has Dynamic Volume option for night time viewing and it does the job perfectly, lots of detailed highs and mids and controlled bass at low volumes. I was wondering if Dolby Volume was similar. Many thanks.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My setup is operational!
The 7.4.2 setup is just so amazing. I've been waiting all my life to put together a really nice home theater system and am just so happy with it! Listening to Tidal music in Dolby Atmos is a huge step up in immersive experience when artists take advantage of it to put you in the crowd for live music or move voices around the room and come in from behind or above you. It's definitely a new tool for artists to create with.

Huge thanks to James Hall with H2 audio/video. He has been an awesome installer who gave me true white glove service. He was really willing to listen to my demands to get measurements and trouble shoot any issues that came up and accommodate any changes I asked for along the way.
PXL_20211216_064918275.jpg

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've noticed different power ratings for the t778 in different documents, published on NAD internet site: her 1200w: https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NAD-T-778-Surround-Amplifier-Data-Sheet-1.pdf; here 1000w: https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/T778-OM-EN-v12.pdf

Anybody knows whay the difference? Has been the receiver updated?
I don't understand what you are asking. Both of those sites show FTC power of 140 watts at 8 ohms. Nowhere does it say 1200 watts or 1000 watts.

JanioG

I don't understand what you are asking. Both of those sites show FTC power of 140 watts at 8 ohms. Nowhere does it say 1200 watts or 1000 watts.
1645436481909.png

I'm refering to the information printed on the back side of the AVR. On this photo (taken from: https://nadelectronics.com/product/t778-surround-amplifier/) it states, that the power rating is 1200W. On the model, that I have at home, it states only 1000W. The found the difference also in some documents posted by NAD: check aut page nr. 2 in the specs sheat: https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NAD-T-778-Surround-Amplifier-Data-Sheet-1.pdf) and the different information (1000W) in the owners manual (check out page 7: https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/T778-OM-EN-v12.pdf).

So, which is it?

markus

View attachment 188166

I'm refering to the information printed on the back side of the AVR. On this photo (taken from: https://nadelectronics.com/product/t778-surround-amplifier/) it states, that the power rating is 1200W. On the model, that I have at home, it states only 1000W. The found the difference also in some documents posted by NAD: check aut page nr. 2 in the specs sheat: https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NAD-T-778-Surround-Amplifier-Data-Sheet-1.pdf) and the different information (1000W) in the owners manual (check out page 7: https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/T778-OM-EN-v12.pdf).

So, which is it?
Probably depends how it is measured. Why is it important? That number is just a ballpark figure how much power that device can draw when cranked to max before going up in smoke.

What we really would want to know from a device is whether it can drive our specific speakers to a specific SPL. There's no single number measurement that would reveal that information nor do you find such information in any device spec sheet.

milosz

Forum Donor
View attachment 188166

So, which is it?
The number that you are seeing is POWER CONSUMPTION FROM THE AC LINE, this is NOT the power rating of the audio amplifier. This is the maximum current drawn from the power line. Likely you are seeing a different in rating depending on the government regulations in the country where the NAD was sold; different countries will define power consumption differently....

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

So, which is it?

Sorry, no simple answer to your question, it may be neither, either, or it depends..

The number that you are seeing is POWER CONSUMPTION FROM THE AC LINE, this is NOT the power rating of the audio amplifier. This is the maximum current drawn from the power line. Likely you are seeing a different in rating depending on the government regulations in the country where the NAD was sold; different countries will define power consumption differently....

Agreed in general, if such countries have some relevant, however loose and vague rules/standards they may be, manufacturers would likely do something to cover themselves, and that would invariably mean the numbers could be different, the varieties of the 100, 115, 120, 220, 240 V and 50 or 60 Hz may also be factors. But the "This is the maximum current drawn from the power line." part, technically speaking does not seem right (See Gene's comments that covered one reason, there are more..)

I would just like to add the following that may sound like ranting, out of my frustration in seeing how audio equipment manufacturers get away with not having to define their "power consumption" specs, likely because of, but not limited to the following:

a) most consumers don't really care, for various reasons, one being they don't really contributed much to their electricity bill.

b) governments may not consider them a high risk, due to their lack of knowledge in this field, and while some amps, avrs would blow up in smoke as reported on AV forums, I am not aware any documented incident of such equipment resulted in the fire departments being called.:D

c) they apparently do realize that unlike appliances such as Fridge, electric heaters, air conditioners, fans, that when in use would typically draw more or less constant "power", so it is easy to report the "maximum power consumption" based on their "maximum setting", for example maximum speed, temperature setting (min/max) etc., but it would be tough to do with audio devices such as AVRs and amplifiers.

It is sad that the industry don't follow certain standards/rules. The closest it has come to something somewhat (but not really) official finally, thanks to Gene's recent article in which he sort of quoted SU. I am going to bookmark the following link for future reference. Still that just applies to Denon and Marantz AVRs, not sure if that would apply to their integrated amps, and certainly cannot be applied to their much older models. Bottom line, if one wants to know what it is for NAD, one should contact NAD but I doubt their first level customer support would give an answer unless they are authorized to provide the official one from their engineering/manufacturing departments. Marketing/sales typically don't get into such details.

What does the back panel power consumption rating mean?​

• Unless it says "max power" don't assume it's a max power rating with all channels driven.
  • ·According to Sound United, they follow IEC 62368-1 electrical safety standard for rating power, specifically Annex B for operating conditions and Annex E for test conditions.
  • Amplifier to be tested at 1/8th unclipped de-rated power @ 1kHz & rated load impedance.
  • Sound United follows IEC 62368-1, the electrical safety standard for audio, video and similar equipment for their AV receivers.
  • Follow operating condition under Annex B: Normal operating condition tests, abnormal operating condition tests and single fault condition tests, and the amplifier output conditions defined under Annex E: Test conditions for equipment containing audio amplifiers.
  • Measured input current/power under normal operating conditions shall NOT exceed the rated current/power by > 10%. Note: ACD testing is NOT considered a "normal operating" condition.

Flak

Industry Insider

pogo

Major Contributor
Since 24th this month it is probably no longer beta and can be downloaded normally:
Link

JanioG

One question, I have noticed that different settings in the presets also change the maximum volume (output), that the receiver allows. For instance, on the preset, where my subwoofer is ser to off, the maximum volume of the NAD is -7db, whereas on the other preset, where the subwoofer is set to on, the max volume is +2db. And there are also other combinations on other presets. But I wonder why is that and what does that mean. Does this mean that without a sub, the receiver is at a maximum output at -7db? I have to say that I don’t find it to be particularly loud at that volume (especially when listening from weaker sources like youtube etc - and in this case it makes me question how powerful this receiver really is). Or did I define the different max volume for different presets in the settings (not knowingly!)?

Top Bottom